News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Barracuda Flies  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Barracuda Flies
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
Three test flights. So far nothing to worry about. Fast and slow moderate speeds. Not overly sensative. Have not deployed slider.
It is going to be fun.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Barracuda Flies
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:07:26 PM »
Wayne, I like it! Specs?
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
     Hi Wayne, its so nice to see you flying a new Navy carrier plane. Also the Barracuda is an awfully interesting carrier plane, I've thought on numerous occasions about building one for CL-1 or 2 but with the fuselage mounted stabilizer (the prototype P1767) but have never found a 3-view of one. Hope yours fly's as good as it looks.
Eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »
Eric, thanks. I thought it would be nice to have a high wing airplane other than an MO-1. There was a discussion on this forum about lack of three views  however John Vilna thought that several illustrations and photos that are available in Aircraft Profile #240 would suffice. I struggled with showing the Youngman flaps but it worked out so far. I also have a partial copy of an American Modeler article by Dick Perry, which had an illustration, Titled "Mystery Airplane" which shows a three view of the prototype. Unfortunately no date. Maybe Dick can chime in on the source. Despite that I hope to continue tuning it for some competition such as it is today in our area.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:17:25 AM »
Wayne, I like it! Specs?
Joe

Joe, here are some specs.

40" Span, 29" fuse and 15" stab span. Powered by Irvine 36 ABC with OS 4BK carb. A 6 ounce Brodak tank. Brodak 3 line set up. It was designed by Gary Hull.

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:46:38 PM »
Are the flaps operational ?
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »
Are the flaps operational ?

No, the flaps aren't operational. I needed to have them positioned to try to satisfy the top and side views. So far in three flights they have not had any issues. Operating the Youngman flaps would be a real trick but not for a profile carrier ship.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
Ask Bill Calkins for a copy of the low-stab prototype Barracuda drawing.  If memory serves, he has Bill Melton's plane and drawing. 

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:15:49 AM »
Thanks Ron. PM sent to Bill.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
Are you in for Detroit in September?
Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
Paul, don't know yet. Rick Essex had a stroke and is currently  in the hospital. I have aked Gary Hull if he is up to it yet and he doesn't know yet. So we are up in the air so to speak. Sorry about that but "@#$% happens". I will get back to you when I have some news.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
Thanks Ron. PM sent to Bill.
Wayne

Bill is using the information in Profile 240 of the Barracuda. The 3-view I have seems to have come from Dick Perry and maybe out of MAN. It was an article that had a 3-view called "Mystery Plane". Check in with Dick Perry.

Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
The booklet "Warpaint Series No. 35" on the Barracuda has a color side view drawing of the prototype that might help.  They are on eBay all the time. 

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
Probably the same one used in Profile 240 Barracuda. I sent Dick Perry a PM. Maybe he can shed som more light on this.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
Probably the same one used in Profile 240 Barracuda. I sent Dick Perry a PM. Maybe he can shed som more light on this.
Thanks
Wayne

Dick Perry replied. His computer has crashed seriously. He will forward me the 3-view we have been looking for when his computer is back up.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Barracuda Flies, slider deployed.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
Well finally got the slider tested and it works. Pictured, but not well. Deployment was without any surprises. Got two flights in before wind got goofy so saved it for another day. Sorry about the picture quality but it was a spur of the moment shot. I am glad I can get serious about getting some practice in with the Barracuda before our flying season closes.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »
     Glad to see you flying your new plane. More glad to read that you have time to practice because that makes all the difference in carrier flying. I noticed in the first picture of your plane flying in this topic that it looks like your elevator is in full up and in looking out at your hand it may also be in the full up position. I assumed in the first picture it was in the first few times that the plane had been flown. In today's picture it appears that the elevator is in full up and the plane is at maybe 35 to 40 degrees pitch up. Now, it doesn't look like the slider is out because the plane has no out pitch or is not trying to fly out of the circle? Maybe you could share with us what you meant by the first two sentences "but not well"? You appear to have a nice flying sight, same as first pictures.
Eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 05:44:44 AM »
Eric, I meant the picture wasn't that good. Airplane is fine and I just need more practice because it's a new and different airplane. After a few disasters with some other airplanes previously I am making an effort to trying to be a little more methodical in my first flights. The pictures were taken while on a simulated approach to landing. The wind at our field this Sunday morning was out of the east which produces some nasty rollers over very tall trees and I was keeping it down. This was it's 6th flight. I am happy with it. Hopefully in good shape for Brodak's 2018.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Nice...!
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
Latest flight pictures. Everything is working fine. Low wind day made for some nice test flights. It was really very hot 90 deg.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 06:29:27 AM »
Looking good, Wayne. Well done.

Bill Bischoff

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Thanks Bill. I am having fun with it. Works fine so far.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
Looks real good Wayne, Keep having fun
John

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 11:37:55 AM »
Thanks john
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here