Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?

(1/2) > >>

Dennis Holler:
Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?  I picked this up a long time ago with the intention of someday usingit as a Class II carrier powerplant.

So far I have only found these two old reviews of the G60 R and then the G60 RV from a few years later.  If you look at page two of the G60RV review, it talks about the early G60/65/71 R engine's and also discusses the early versus late design of the disc and trigger.  Looking at mine, I see the screw in the crank pin so I assume I must have one of those earlier G65 R versions.  Note mine also has that unique prop spinner base, unfortunately, the cone did not come with my engine.  Also I noticed somewhere in the literature that these engine's were early ABC engine's and I can see my engine uses a brass sleeve when looking at it through the exh port.  I'll get it loosened up and see if it also includes the ringless piston as well.

So I am curious if anyone has used this old beast on a class II plane and how the low speed worked out since this seems to be a flat out speed engine from days gone by...  And yes it seems to be as heavy as a cinder block at 18 oz.  Perfect for a Sterling Corsair or Guardian  LL~

Dennis Holler:
Here are the G60R review pages

Dennis Holler:
And the G60 RV

Gordon Tarbell:
Several years ago when stukastunt was up and running there was a fellow and his wife that use the two sixty size versions ( 60 &65) in the Kansas area I think . They did real well. I will remember the last name in about a week . His planes were very light and fast. I have one of his 60 engines for carrier it uses a pressure vacuum carb. pressure on High speed and vacuum at low speed. He used around50%  nitro.

C.T. Schaefer:
Just do it!  Not seen very often back then but it would be a blast to see it in the air in a guardian.  Main thing is the throttle. Numerous ways to make that work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version