News:

• April 20, 2024, 10:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Dennis Holler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?
« on: April 14, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?  I picked this up a long time ago with the intention of someday usingit as a Class II carrier powerplant.

So far I have only found these two old reviews of the G60 R and then the G60 RV from a few years later.  If you look at page two of the G60RV review, it talks about the early G60/65/71 R engine's and also discusses the early versus late design of the disc and trigger.  Looking at mine, I see the screw in the crank pin so I assume I must have one of those earlier G65 R versions.  Note mine also has that unique prop spinner base, unfortunately, the cone did not come with my engine.  Also I noticed somewhere in the literature that these engine's were early ABC engine's and I can see my engine uses a brass sleeve when looking at it through the exh port.  I'll get it loosened up and see if it also includes the ringless piston as well.

So I am curious if anyone has used this old beast on a class II plane and how the low speed worked out since this seems to be a flat out speed engine from days gone by...  And yes it seems to be as heavy as a cinder block at 18 oz.  Perfect for a Sterling Corsair or Guardian  LL~

I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
Re: Anyone run an Super Tigre G65 R in class II?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 02:15:01 PM »
Here are the G60R review pages

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
And the G60 RV

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
Several years ago when stukastunt was up and running there was a fellow and his wife that use the two sixty size versions ( 60 &65) in the Kansas area I think . They did real well. I will remember the last name in about a week . His planes were very light and fast. I have one of his 60 engines for carrier it uses a pressure vacuum carb. pressure on High speed and vacuum at low speed. He used around50%  nitro.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 05:26:47 AM »
Just do it!  Not seen very often back then but it would be a blast to see it in the air in a guardian.  Main thing is the throttle. Numerous ways to make that work.

Offline Jim Dross

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 08:32:59 PM »
I have a lot of Super Tigre G-65 time in Class 2, won a lot of contests with them . My best luck is with the large bore Kavan Pressure Carburetor running crank case pressure from the upper left rear cover screw port, not the timed port on the rear cover below the rotor pin., I made an exhaust baffle that connects to the carb . I used 60% Nitro for performance, better idle and throttle response. I also spent a lot of Test Stand Time teaching them how to perform with reliability.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 04:22:16 PM »
I believe the 60 that I have is from you jim along with a hand cut kit. I have just finally started playing with the carrier stuff but waiting to go full in once I am set up in my retirement in FL in two years.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here