News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airplane for OS60  (Read 904 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Airplane for OS60
« on: October 20, 2011, 04:04:02 AM »
So lets say I decided to buy the OS 61 that Dale has in the classified.. What airplane would be a good one for that animal?

I would really like to build an A4 but the engine would need to be behind the cockpit with a long prop shaft extension. If I could figure out how to do the prop shaft I might just tackle this.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Airplane for OS60
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:40:55 AM »
Bob,
Wow, what a project that would be, I have a set of plans for scale profile I drew once if you want a copy.
John

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
I have seen a set up with a prop shaft and from what I'm told the biggest thing is supporting it so it can't vibrate or get out of line with the engine.  Dan Banjock had a set up with a LA 46, I think, and an extension that was about 12 in long.  He also said to make it stronger that you think you need.  One problem I can see is going to be weight.  Good luck if you decide to do it.
David

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
 Man, I really wish I had an answer for this. If someone comes up with a good prop shaft idea, I'm all ears.

A couple of years ago I designed and drew up plans for what is currently a "TOP SECRET" model that I really want to build. I even have a custom made set of laser cut ribs ready to go for it. The only real holdup is that it needs a good shaft setup for a pusher prop. The model would be a fairly ambitious project so I'm holding off until I can come up with a shaft idea, one that I would be confident enough with to build a plane around. When I see a setup that looks reliable enough, while still being very light, I'm gonna start cutting wood. y1

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
Bob,
Scroll down to Jim Lees vendor site and take a look at the prop shaft he made for a 1/2A model (DO 335...). Those are R/C marine U-joints if I'm not mistaken. In your case you could use the nose section from an Enya for a carrier bearing at the prop.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
In your case you could use the nose section from an Enya for a carrier bearing at the prop.

That's a really good idea Doug, I never thought of that one. I suppose an appropriate nose case section could be mounted to a "firewall", and then...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
Better yet would be a nose section (no venturi port) from a RI engine (ducted fan, pylon, etc.) might be hard to find cheap though? ...or if you had a machine shop.
I think what Bob wants is do-able, alignment would be important. Mount the engine and prop bearing support on the same beams, lighten beams in between? Maybe a Carbon arrow shaft to save some weight? Just throwing ideas out in the wind...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:22:26 PM by Douglas Ames »
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
Bob,
Wow, what a project that would be, I have a set of plans for scale profile I drew once if you want a copy.
John

Hi John,

Thanks for the offer, actually I already have a copy of your plans and would use the wing, maybe scaled up a bit. Did you draw it in autoCAD?

Another option I've been thinking about is buying a Brodak Corsair kit and bashing it into a carrier airplane. Turn the engine on it's side and cut down the wing a bit. Still thinking....

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
Just a reminder, to earn the 100 scale bonus points in Class I or II, the model has to be within 5% of true scale outlines, and the maximum span is 44", not 50" like profile. By the time you modify a Brodak Corsair to meet these requirements, it would be easier to start with a blank sheet of paper. Just find a 3 view of your favorite subject, get it scaled to the desired wingspan at the local printer, and have at it. I've seen your work. I think you can handle it. :)

Bill

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 05:08:43 AM »
Thanks Bill, think you have more confidence in my ability than I do  ;D

While looking over Tom Wilk's CD I ran across the Dingus, a delta wing profile designed by Bill Netzeband. He says some good things about the delta platforms handling in low speed flight. Maybe an A4 isn't such a bad idea, in any case it will be next years project.

This year I'm already committed to designing a version of the FJ-4 that will actually be competitive in Profile. Take some sweep out of the wings to allow a slider to be more effective and scale it down with a built up wing. Actually I will be scaling the FJ-4-15 up as I already have it in CAD.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
Have you seen Dick Perry's profile A-4 from American Aircraft Modeler? Feb. 1972, I think.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »
Have you seen Dick Perry's profile A-4 from American Aircraft Modeler? Feb. 1972, I think.

Yes, I even have the plans. Just couldn't make myself build it because of what he had to do with the nose to get the CG in the ball park. Nothing against the design, just that it's such a long way from what the real airplane looks like. Fully understand why he did what he did but I would like to have one a little closer to scale.

I messed up, thought this was what John Vina was talking about above, after waking up looks like John did another version.

Hey John, do you have that A4 in any electronic format? I would love to see the plans..

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
Bob,
Drawings sent via PM
John

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
Bob,
Drawings sent via PM
John

Thanks John,

Looks great, You really did a good job making it look right.

Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here