News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another 2.4gHz handle conversion  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another 2.4gHz handle conversion
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »
I made it up to the Fargo, N.D. contest last weekend (8/27-28) and Glen Nyhus had this conversion handle for sale.  He generously donated one to the raffle (they had a separate raffle for each event, and each flight in that event got you a raffle ticket in that raffle -- a very cool idea).  Anyway, they paired the conversion handle with a Brodak Guardian kit and I won it.  It seems a very sturdy unit and I'm now considering building the Guardian as an electric for it.

This handle uses a steel strap that bends from the top of the grip part and down through the battery box.  It may be a little difficult to discern in the photos, but there is a U-shaped frame around the trigger to give room for the trigger to operate.  As stated, it seems plenty strong enough and when I get it into flyable form, I'll post some more photos.

Glen had a few of these finished and if anyone is interested, I'll forward some contact information.  Oh, this includes a LiPo in the battery box and he was asking $50.  I'm posting this as informational and I don't have any stake in this enterprise, other than to inform fellow competitors and as a Thank You to Glen for the donation.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Another 2.4gHz handle conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
The only real problem I see is that now I may have to remember to charge and, more importantly, transport two transmitters to the field.  I did it tonight - had to turn around and return home for my handle/transmitter.  Shades of my RC glider flying days.   n~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:53:13 AM »
One of the best items I ever bought was a transmitter case for mine, everything for the radio system goes in case and always make sure it get it loaded. Also protects the transmitter from the sun and other damage.

I am using the Tactic 650 transmitter that hangs off my hip and then fly with a std stunt handle. That way I can have a separate set of lines for each model.

It looks like your handle you can easily swap out the flying lines...good idea.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:56:22 AM »
Yes, I am going through some plastic 'suitcase' types I've collected and will foam line it.  As to the line change capability, that reminds me of one other bit I meant to report here.  I built my handle from one of the old Fox flying handles - the one that is a steel strap with wood grips.  This unit had a very sturdy piece of cable and large copper crimps.  The one I used was still in the bag, but I've probably had it for 25 years.

Anyway, on the pull test the cable end was pulled out of one of the crimps and let go at about 50 lbs.  This is not the first pull test for this unit -- it was my second contest with it, so pulled it to 65 lbs. twice in July.  Also pulled it to 100 lbs when I first had it finished up before I ever flew it and a couple of 70lb pulls the first time I test flew the model.

I was able to scrounge a piece of 1/8" brass tubing and clip off the old crimp and re-crimp using the tubing.  That passed the pull test easily and my lines were still long enough (since I always tie them at 60' 3").  Replaced the whole cable last night so they are back at 60' 3".

I guess the lesson is to check your equipment and don't be surprised when it fails anyway.  I'm putting some cable and large crimping tubes in the bottom one of my flight boxes.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I figured out a good way to make really HD handle leadouts.  Use 1/16" stranded steel line from Home Depot and SWAGE the connections.

The swaging tool is just like a big bolt cutter.  It compresses those little swaging sleeves into the fibre of the stranded line.  You don't have to buy the tool.  They have one you can use on the shelf under the cable spools.  I buy a couple feet of cable and a pack of sleeves and jsust do one loop.  Then I go home and set up the handle and come back to the store and swage the final loop.

This is the strongest and most professional way to do stranded handle terminations.

Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »
That's a good practice, Paul.  I was commenting on it because it was the factory crimp job that failed, so I presume that even using the correct swaging tools and crimps requires some expertise and in case anyone else planned to resurrect one of these old handles.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
I've been in contact with Glenn and he is OK with me forwarding his contact info and with anyone interested contacting him directly.

I'm a little hesitant to post his info so I will just forward it by PM to anyone who is interested - either post here or PM me.  I also note that
Glenn is a recent new member of Stunthanger, so you can try a PM to him directly.  I'm not sure if he checks in very often or not though.

Note that it is Glenn Nyhus (Glenn with 2 n's).

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »
Is it intended that the line eyelets are screwed directly to the handle, or do you use line connectors around the screws?

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »
Not too sure what the intention is there ..  I haven't given it too much thought yet.  I have considered bolting another steel or aluminum strip to the front using those screws and putting a cable through that, with the adjustment capability similar to the one on my own conversion -
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here