News:

• May 21, 2024, 02:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier Kits  (Read 2268 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Carrier Kits
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
I was thinking about cutting some carrier kits.  Are there any particular profile carrier designs that you would like to have in kits?

Mike

Custom Cut Kits
customcutkits.com

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Carrier Kits
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
Very interesting, Mike -- Are you talking about existing designs that were kitted at one time?  The only ones that I can think of in that category are either owned by or still kitted by Brodak (J Roberts Bearcat and Corsair) and Bill Calkins' Guardian.  The old Dumas Crusader and Corsair would probably not be real competitive any more, but would be cool in Nostalgia.  And speaking of Bill C. -- his Vampire would make an out-of-the-box competitive Profile, also.

Personally, I'd like to have a kit cut of the Class 1-2, a Hellcat or Wildcat.  I don't know of any existing designs of either that could be kitted, however.  That may be the only way I ever get another Class 1 or 2 built unless ....

Well, I'll have to bite my tongue, but the simplest to kit in ANY class would also be the best flying in any class -- an MO-1   ( now I'll pull the door to my bunker closed and wait for the flack to die down ....   n1    ;D  )

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:57:44 AM »
Current topic (Fairey Spearfish) might be nice.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
Mike what I try to do is take designs that have maybe never been kitted or have been out of production as a kit for a while and offer those designs.  If some other company, such as Brodak, is offering a design, I do not want to duplicate and/or compete with what they are offering.  To be completely honest, I do not know that much about which designs that are not currently offered in kit form would be in demand by the folks who fly carrier.

Most of my successful kit productions have come from suggestions from people who fly stunt or sport or whatever division of flying that they choose to participate in.  It may be that there is not enough demand for kitted carrier planes but that is what I am trying to determine.

I really appreciate all the input I might get on this thread.

Mike

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
The old Golden State MO-1 might be a good one. Or how about an enlarged to 300 sq. inches Sterling Skyshark?    Mike
mike potter

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
I would like to see Gary Hull's Brewster SB2A "Buccaneer" kitted. It is easy to build, the product of 20 years development, mid-wing, good proportions, a winning design. Gary is a great draftsman so I'm sure that plans could be produced, should be easy to kit as not a lot of moving pieces, just throttle and slider, AND a .15 sized one has also been designed and flown. There may be some interest in this one as well. 

Give Gary a call, it may be what you are looking for. For more info on this design check out the latest issue of Control LIne World, Volume 4, Numer 2, with Lew Woolard on the cover. If you do make the kit, I'd prefer it be of the the thicker winged (last years) version.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
I would like to see Gary Hull's Brewster SB2A "Buccaneer" kitted. It is easy to build, the product of 20 years development, mid-wing, good proportions, a winning design. Gary is a great draftsman so I'm sure that plans could be produced, should be easy to kit as not a lot of moving pieces, just throttle and slider, AND a .15 sized one has also been designed and flown. There may be some interest in this one as well. 

Give Gary a call, it may be what you are looking for. For more info on this design check out the latest issue of Control LIne World, Volume 4, Numer 2, with Lew Woolard on the cover. If you do make the kit, I'd prefer it be of the the thicker winged (last years) version.  8)

Hey Mike, I would like to second this one.  I have watched Gary fly his in the past NATS.  It might bring interest as it is not a carrier rat racer.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
Mike's suggestion of Bill Calkins Vampire is an excellent idea. I don't know if Bill has complete plans for the airplane yet but he might be open to the idea.

I have built two versions of this design and find it to be a really good flying airplane for profile. It also looks very nice in flight and is a little off the normal path. I found it easy to build from just the plans. I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to try carrier.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Kelly Wilson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Mike,
I have a untouched kit for the Berkeley Grumman Guardian that can be built as a carrier plane or for stunt. It is full bodied, not a profile. I also have an untouched Dumas Crusader and a Sturdi-Built Martin AM-1 Mauler (class l /ll ) that the center section of the wing is partially built. These may not be what you are looking for, but If you are interested in any of these contact me and we will see if we can work out something.

Kelly Wilson

david smith

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I agree with the class 1 and 2 ideas because unless you want to give up an arm and a leg for a "Vintage" kit then you have to scratch build something.  It would simplify those classes if there were a "modern" kit that was specifically designed for carrier.  But if I had to pick a profile I do agree with Bill's Vampire.  I had never flown one until just recently and it was simple and smooth to fly.  If only it would have been set up to fly pull for high instead of push then I probably could have made a descent flight.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:59:56 PM »
Thank you all for all your responses and suggestions.  I am going to evaluate all this and make a decision after the current planes that are in production are done. This could be a few months before I will be ready to move on a carrier design.  In the meantime please continue to give me your ideas.

Thanks for the great responses.

Mike

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »
I have the Sterling Skyshark, Gaurdian, and Corsair all untouched kits and have the Sturdi-Built Mauler and Corsair on the way (these are the full fuse versions). Also have an untouched 1945 F6F Hellcat kit from Eagle, 42" span and full fuse

Aagain may not be what you want, but we're out here for ya! #^

I actually think I would like to see a kit of a Dauntless or Skyraider as well, I know there was a neat AMA plan for a Dauntless for .15 profile in the middle 80's....
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
Dennis   Could you have tracings made of the sterling fullfuse guardian parts   and a copy of the instructions? I would be interested in a set of these. I ,ve only flown carrier three flights at brodaks this year and it was a lot of fun, all the people there were so helpful as. I had never flown the plane before my first official. Though I wasn't competitive I made one landing on the deck and had two flameouts .  George

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
In my humble opinion you will need more than tracings to construct a Sterling Guardian, it's not an easy kit to build. HOWEVER, I believe you can still get plans for both it and the Boss Guardian (a superior design IMHO) from Wayne Buran who posts here often. Hope you build one or the other, really cool designs.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »
I remember the Sterling Gaurdian having a lot of special cut parts, like leading edge, fuselage bottom block.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
I'll pull it out and take a look.  I remember there being a large machined fuse block in there for the top or bottom.   I'll see what other difficult parts there are.  Good points by all! H^^

david smith

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »
I'll pull it out and take a look.  I remember there being a large machined fuse block in there for the top or bottom.   I'll see what other difficult parts there are.  Good points by all! H^^

The bottom of the fuse and the top part of the cowling were machined blocks but I found that it wasnt that hard to make either one of them. I m not sure on any other parts because the rest of mine i kind of built on my own.  I used carbon rod in the wing for spars and the leading edge and the wing survived a crash on the first or second lap of high speed ~ 85 or 90 mph it was over the deck when something broke and dove straight into the deck and the wing almost perfect all I need is to build another fuse.

As for the kit ideas I really dont know why I havent said anything before but what about a F7F Tigercat(the coolest and best looking airplane of all time).  But with a little bit bigger outboard tank than the Randall version.

David

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
I had a chance to pull out the kits this afternoon (though brief it was!)  It'll take some effort to make tracings,I was hoping to use a scanner on the die cut sheets, but the sheets since the sheets were long and overhung the edge, the lip of the scanner tray raised the sheets up 3/8ths of an inch and made everything fuzzy.  I'll have to re-group and try again.  I was able to get some decent scans of the Eagle Hellcat cut out parts though.  I'll take the plans with me to work this week and see if I can get away to a copy store for some plan scans, may try to save on a disc o something  I will say this, besides the diecut parts the Guardian has a pile of smaller sized wood pieces and blocks. Lots O stuff. 

After looking through the Skyshark, Corsair, and Guardian, it was very clear that all the comments about the quality of the wood Sterling used are true LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~You can see the saw marks on a lot of the sheets and boy are they rough!!!  Even the plywood is crap, half green and half brown HB~> But then again, they are ok for patterns  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here