News:

• May 14, 2024, 01:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMA number requirements  (Read 802 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
AMA number requirements
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
Just spent a bunch of time on the AMA site trying to determin the requirements for your AMA number on a carrier airplane and came away without knowing any more than I did when I started. So what is the requirement on a carrier airplane? If it's in the carrier rules I couldn't find it...

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: AMA number requirements
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »
I think it falls under C/L General? You could always incorporate it as the Acft. Ser. #/ tail #.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
Incorporating it as the tail number is a good idea.

If it's like my experience at contests lately, nobody really cares whether there's an AMA no. on your airplane anyhow. Most of us old folks just put one on from force of habit.  With the lack of the BOM in almost all classes, having a number on just complicates trading between flyers.   The only problem comes in case of the documentation for setting a national record, or an accident where the legal beagles would get involved. 
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
I think it falls under C/L General? You could always incorporate it as the Acft. Ser. #/ tail #.

That is what I was planing, just wasn't sure if they had a size requirement like stunt does. All the general rules say is the airplane has to be identified but no specifics.

Thanks

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
Page 14  section 4 of the General Regulations says that the owners name and address or AMA number must be on or in the model. Further, rules for specific events may have additional requirements for identification.

I could not find any restrictions or further requirements for identification in the carrier rules section.

I usually put my AMA number on the right hand wing panel and also on the side of the fuselage using them as "markings" for the aircraft.
Bob Frogner

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:57:56 AM »
From day one I have always put my AMA number on the upper outboard wing of a carrier plane.  If you notice some if not most of the military aircraft did not have numbers on the wing.  Scale models allow you to use your number as part of airplane graphics. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Joe Just

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:23:14 AM »
This question popped up at one of the Vincennes Nats in the early 90's. A MO-1 did not have a AMA # on the wing.  We looked into the rule book and found that your # can be on the fuse on either side.  however with the newer AMA numbers reaching into 7 didgets it might be a problem getting them all on the plane's side, particularly if you use 1" high #'s as per requirements.
Joe Just

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
There is no 1" high requirement for carrier.  The "Identification" section of the general AMA rules is all that applies to carrier as noted above.  A lot of us, including myself until recently, appear to think the CLPA section 2.3 applies as a general provision for all CL catagories, it doesn't.

So AMA number as part of the decoration, size doesn't matter, is all that is required.  Unless of course your name and address are somewhere on the airplane.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »
Bob has referenced the AMA requirements correctly. Doc and Joe are referring to the "old time" procedures, requiring AMA numbers on the upper right wing at least 1" high. I still do this, too, on most airplanes, although it is no longer required. For my Corsair, in order not to disturb the scale-like markings, I wrote the AMA number on the firewall, clearly visible by looking into the cowl from the front. This clearly meets the present rules. I figure if the contestant can show you the AMA numbers and you can read them, the airplane is legal. If he says the AMA numbers are inside, not visible unless you cut the airplane apart, I would ask him to show me...
Pete

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here