News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A newer lower-effort carrier deck  (Read 594 times)

Online Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A newer lower-effort carrier deck
« on: April 30, 2023, 11:55:34 AM »
Back in the olden days guys hauled a 44-foot plywood deck around on a U-Haul trailer and set it up every week at a different contest.  Now the only such decks are at Muncie and Carmichaels.  In Wichita we had a plywood deck that premenantly resided at the field. We patched and painted it as needed.

The next thing was and still is a set of wood strips that hold the bags and are screwed to the pavement for every contest.  That is currently done in Detroit and Dayton, but even that (drastically-reduced) bit of labor has become something of a chore to get done.

I'm considering this setup as a way to fly the event off a grass field with further reduced labor.

You don't really need the wood strips to define the deck.  The spacers keep the lines above the turf.  Flush lines can define the ends of the deck.  The weights don't even need to be heavy enough to stop the model.  If the hook catches a line the pilot has done his job.  Realistically, I think two 5-pound weights will be enough to stop a throttled engine on grass.  My test flying indicates that the hook in the grass is more than enough to stop the plane even without the weights.

In the days of having over 30 carrier flyers inn the Detroit area the full size deck was no big thing.  They current reality requires a simpler deck.
Paul Smith

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: A newer lower-effort carrier deck
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »
[
Paul Smith

Offline Kris Millard

• New Pilot
Re: A newer lower-effort carrier deck
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 09:08:10 AM »
Out here in the northwest we have been using a "deck" for hard(asphalt) surfaces composed of a bunch of 3 foot steel .25 x 1" steel strips with eyebolts in them laid out along chalked deck markings. The lines are properly elevated and with 5lb sandbags on each line it does a great job stopping all aircraft. It sets up fast and doesn't kill anyone's back. Grass is a different story. It's too easy to stick a hook in the turf and not even come close to a line. I guess if its just a friendly competition you could score that as an arrested landing too.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here