News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A "little" help, please?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
A "little" help, please?
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
Hi All,

I recently acquired a Sterling Skyshark kit which is complete except for the stab and elevators.

Can some one please copy these parts on some typing paper along with the wood thickness?

PM, if needed.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: A "little" help, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
Bill,

Got your back...

PM sent.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Thank you, Bob!

I actually built one of these for a friend back around 1965.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:53 AM »
So maybe it's about time you built this one for your self.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:16:28 PM »
Not a bad 15 size airplane. Too small for anything else.                        Mike
mike potter

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
So maybe it's about time you built this one for your self.
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I intend to do just that.  I will build it exactly like the plans anf since everyone says it isn't legal for anything, I'll just have fun flying it.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
It could be used for Class 1 with a 40 in it but no scale points. Therefor I am sure it qualify's for Nostalgia Class 1. Bob Heywood flew one at the Navy NATS in 70 or 72. I was there. Sombody will clarify this.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »
Hi Wayne,

I intend to do just that.  I will build it exactly like the plans anf since everyone says it isn't legal for anything, I'll just have fun flying it.

Bill

Like a lot of planes, it's "legal", just not competative in any current event. 

It's too bad about the 300 square inch rule in profile.  In practice winning models are often a lot bigger, so the rule did not lower scoring.  But it excludes some planes probably wouldn't have been a threat to anybody.
Paul Smith

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
The rules that are used for nostalgia require 300 sq in.                      Mike
mike potter

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
The rules that are used for nostalgia require 300 sq in.                      Mike
I didn't find that on the NCS site:

http://navycarriersociety.org/Rules.aspx
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

The rules for Nostalgia PROFILE require 300 sq. in. - just like the rules for modern profile.  It
would still be able to be flown in Nostalgia Class 1 and get the nostalgia model bonus.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
I didn't find that on the NCS site:

http://navycarriersociety.org/Rules.aspx

Because it is contained in the 1974-75 rules for Navy Carrier which are in use
for Nostalgia.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:45 AM »
How far below 300 squares is it?  Just add a stationary flap to cover the shortfall. 

It's still an old design, just tweaked a little to get legal.  The model was designed and sold as a carrier plane before the profile rules were written.
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »
That would make it legal for modern Profile class (and would probably get scale bonus).

It would be legal but no bonus in Class 1.

It would no longer get the Historic model bonus in Nostalgia.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
That would make it legal for modern Profile class (and would probably get scale bonus).

Mike, I see that as correct.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »

Hi Mike,

So, I could legally enter Nos. Class I ??  I will simply build this one straight by the kit.  That's how I built one back in about 1965.  And I will be using a .32-.36 engine.

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
It could be used for Class 1 with a 40 in it but no scale points. Therefor I am sure it qualify's for Nostalgia Class 1. Bob Heywood flew one at the Navy NATS in 70 or 72. I was there. Sombody will clarify this.
Wayne

I will clarify this.

In 1968 at Olathe I flew a Skyshark in CL I with a ST G21/40 front intake ringed engine. I did not get the scale bonus but still earned 3rd in Sr.

As Wayne stated, in 1970 I flew a modified Skyshark at Chicago in Profile powered by a McCoy 35. The mod was as Paul suggested. I added wider fixed flaps to get to 300 sq. in. They were quite wide and upset the aerodynamics of the model. The tail volume ratio went way off and there was little elevator authority so slow flight was poor.

As stated in an earlier thread on this subject, I have dated photos to prove the existence of this model and with a bit of sketch work could describe the actual modification. As such, I could recreate that model, enter Nostalgia Profile and rightly claim the historical bonus. It would be my design with the Skyshark kit as a donor.

By the way, I'm wearing the black hat with my back to the camera. On my right, a very cool Wayne Buran. Charlie Neeson (NATS shorts) is in the background talking to the official.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
I miss Glenview, every time I fly over the site.
Chris...

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Yes -

Let's clarify a couple of points --

In Class 1 and Class 2 AMA Carrier, you can enter just about anything so long as the engine displacement limits are observed.  You will get high speed points, low speed points and landing points and multi-engine bonus points if requirements are met.  You MIGHT get Scale Bonus points, if your model meets the requirements.  The Skyshark, being a profile, gets no scale bonus points  but can be entered - just as any profile model can be entered in Class 1  - and flown.

In Profile Class, you can enter just about anything so long as the minimum wing area (300 sq. in.) is met and the engine displacement (.36xx) is met.  You will also get high speed, low speed, landing points, multi-engine bonus(if eligible)and, if scale bonus is earned, the 10 Scale Bonus points.  Note that the Skyshark - as designed - doesn't meet the minimum wing area, but if you were to add a strip to the trailing edge that gets it up to 300 sq., then you can enter it in Profile class.  Any CD will also judge the outline of the wing to 'closely resemble' the prototype and give you the 10 bonus points also.  (You can still enter this model in Class 1, since you would have a .36 or less engine).

In Nostalgia, you can ENTER any plane that fits the 1974-75 rules for Class 1, Class 2, or Profile class - again engine displacement limits apply in all 3 classes and the 300 sq. in minimum applies to Profile.  (So, you cannot enter the Skyshark in Profile unless you get the wing up to 300 sq. in.).  So you CAN ENTER the Skyshark in Nostalgia Class 1 and (maybe) Profile (if the wing area is 300 sq., and the engine is a .36).  You will get your High Speed, Low Speed and landing points.  However, in the 1974 rules, there are no Scale bonus points in Profile, so you will NOT get Scale Bonus in any class of Nostalgia Carrier.

Now, in Nostalgia Carrier there are also 20 bonus points for using a non-schneurle engine and 100 bonus points for using a 'historic' model - designed/published prior to 1978 - including the Skyshark.  If you build it stock - which it seems you wish to do - then you will get the 100 bonus points for the historic model in Nostalgia Class 1 but it won't meet the minimum wing area for any version of Profile.  If you add the wing area you could fly it in Profile but it won't get the historic model bonus (in any class).

Clear (as mud), right?

To answer your question then - Yes - build it stock and power it with anything up to a .40 and you can enter it in Nostalgia (and modern) Class 1.  You forfeit scale points (100 in class 1).  You get the 100 Historic bonus points.
Use an old K&B .40 or any non-schneurle and you get the 20 engine bonus points also.
It cannot fly in any Profile class with less than 300 square inches, though.

(Bob answered while I was typing - and what he states it true.  If you get some documentation from him that a modified version of the Skyshark was flown prior to 1978, and that you modify yours according to his documentation, then you will also earn the historic model bonus in either Profile or Class 1)

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
My 2 cents:

Build it stock. Power it up with a .35, .36, or .40 and have fun. It is a great flying model and rugged. The mod I did ruined it.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here