News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2017 NATS Unofficial Navy Carrier Events  (Read 2156 times)

Online Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2017 NATS Unofficial Navy Carrier Events
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
Thursday, 20 July 2017, was NCS Unofficial Day at the NATS. We flew Nostalgia Profile, Class I , & Class II along with Skyray, 15 Expert, and 15 Sportsman. Things started out fine but foul weather was forecast for later in the day.

In Nostalgia Profile Burt Brokaw had his T-28, Art Johnson & Paul Kegel each had Melton Guardians, and Paul Smith flew his vintage own design, documented by a copy of a magazine page from back in the day showing the actual model and a much younger Paul.

Nostalgia Class I had Burt flying a Roger Edwards Guardian, Paul Kegel with a Skyraider, and Paul Smith with his Mottin Skyraider.

Nostalgia Class II had Burt with a Seafire, Art Johnson had a Sterling Guardian, and Paul Kegel with a different Skyraider. I apologize but don't remember what Bob Hawk entered.

As you can see from the results, Paul K and Bob Hawk decided to stand down for the day.

Skyrays are Skyrays.

In 15 Carrier Expert Mike Anderson flew his Wild Kitty II (electric), Burt Brokaw had an interesting all sheet wood sorta maybe Wildcatish design with a Nelson, Paul Smith used his Brodak 1/2A Pathfinder in IJN markings, and John Vlna flew his little silver high winger (electric).

15 Carrier Sportsman had Art Johnson with a Gerry Deneau Dauntless and Curt Netcott with a Wild Kitty (electric).

As I said, the morning started fine weather wise. Burt launched first and had a good flight going until the #8 arresting cable snapped on his landing. He was granted a refly but things pretty much went south from there with his plane and he was not able to make an official. The morning kept moving until about Noon when the gale hit. AMA shut us down until the all clear at about 1:00 PM. Unfortunately, the winds came up and made life pretty difficult for everyone. A few intrepid airmen kept hammering away and managed to post some final scores. With the winds, the last landings were a testament to the will power of the pilots and the strength of the airframes, deck & arresting gear.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:13:20 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: 2017 NATS Unofficial Navy Carrier Events
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »
The NCS website, http://navycarriersociety.org/MainMenu.aspx, now has those pictures on the Pictures page.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
More pictures are up on the AMA Flickr site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/albums/72157686290452266/page1

Thank you for the link.   Need to get off my butt and start building something. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
Thank you for the link.   Need to get off my butt and start building something. H^^

Be great to have you...!

Dig out that Bill Johnson McCoy -60- ...!
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »
what are the rules for NW 40 carrier??
rad racer

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
what are the rules for NW 40 carrier??

Straight from Flying Lines:

RULES FOR NORTHWEST SPORT 40 CARRIER
(Effective Jan. 13, 2016)

1. PURPOSE: It is the intent that this event will provide a simplified Navy Carrier competition using a simple airplane and a standard engine.

2. AIRPLANES: Any profile model of 300 or more square inches is allowed. There are no scale bonus points, but the model must display navy military markings of any nation. No method of changing the leadout position in flight is allowed. Movable control surfaces are allowed. Only single-engine planes are allowed.

3. ENGINES: Stock O.S. .40FP with stock muffler as supplied with the engine or Tower .40 with stock muffler as supplied with the engine, or O.S. .35FP with muffler as supplied with the engine are the only engines allowed. Muffler pressure is allowed. Engines must use carburetor that was manufactured with the engine, or an exact copy thereof. There are no fuel restrictions.

4 . All AMA Profile Carrier rules, including scoring, apply except as noted above.

mp/jmt/p/10-18-10//r1-16-11/r1-31-11//rballot1-6-12//p1:mp1-17-15//rballot3-18-15//mp/11-11-15/rballot1/12/16

Northwest rules are coordinated and sponsored by Flying Lines, the independent voice of Northwest Control-Line model aviation.
 Suggested donation is $5 per year.

Flying Lines
2456 Quince St.
 Eugene, OR 97404
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:45:22 AM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
Something else about NW Sport 40, there is no fuel restriction.

Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
Something else about NW Sport 40, there is no fuel restriction.

Mike Potter

Technically there is a fuel restriction because "All other AMA Profile rules apply" would mean that by running the required muffler then you would have to run 10% nitro fuel.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
David, When the guys here in the NW decided that the 10% rule, that was in place at the beginning of the event, was too restrictive (despite the fact that the original formula was used in NW racing events) we then had a rule change doing away with the 10% rule.  Many who were aware that the OS .40FP was an engine that would have limited advantage using high nitro then promoted 15%.  A rule change was voted on and the "no fuel restrictions" came into effect.  I voted against the change and noted that just changing the 10% formula to a better ingredient percentage would be a better idea.  The voting  went with the "No fuel restriction" change.
I still stick to the 10% idea, but then I'm not a factor in beating anyone anyway.
Your point you listed concerning he AMA rules is interesting, but all AMA rules can be changed to fit a local changes if he changes are well presented ahead of time. This is of curse a non rulebook event and some changes an be made.
I doubt that requesting an interpretation of rules here in the NW would happen.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
I believe that the AMA 10% nitro rule applies to tuned pipes, not simple mufflers.  The OS factory muffler does not resonate and enhance performance.

Carrier flyers need the freedom to use their own fuel to get the engines to idle properly.  It is very possible that a "house fuel" would cause some contestants to lose that ability idle like they did in practice & testing.

Granted, I'm not all that active.  But have never seen a model judged to be equipped with a tuned piped force to use house 10%.

Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:14 PM »
     I've never been to a contest where 10% wasnt used by the contestants that were running tuned mufflers. Its was supplied by the contest.
Eric

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »
The fuel rule is strictly applied at the NATS.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:35 PM »
The "no fuel restriction" was omitted from the NWS 40 rules as posted on  WWW.flyinglines.org  It is now in back place.

Mike Potter
mike potter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here