News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:27:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are you building for 2012..Here's one of mine  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: What are you building for 2012..Here's one of mine
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
Bill, what was your prep work to use Klasscote?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
On the Hellcat, the wood parts got one brushed coat of 20 minute finish cure epoxy, thinned 150% with methanol. The foam wings were covered with silkspan, then SLC covering. The airplane was sanded and sprayed with Superpoxy primer. I mixed up one 8 oz cup of primer, and sprayed until the cup was empty. On the wings, I only primed the fillets, tips, and covering seams. Then, I applied one good coat of color. After I screwed that up, I sanded the finish and gave it one more coat, just enough to cover. It took less than 4 oz of color. Rather than risk another mishap, I will apply stick-on vinyl trim, then clear coat everything. This was meant to be a "utility" finish, so I didn't care about completely filling the grain, just sealing everything. It turned out better than I was expecting, no doubt in part due to the extra coat of color.

On last year's Zeros, the wood parts were glassed with 3/4 oz cloth and finish cure, and the built up wings were polyspan applied and sealed with nitrate. They were also primed with Superpoxy primer and painted with Klasskote color. The glass cloth gave a better finish, but it was quite a bit more work.

For now I still have a decent stash of Superpoxy primer, but if and when I use it up, I will try Klasskote's primer. If it's as good as Superpoxy primer, I will be a happy camper!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 04:36:43 AM »
Bill, thanks for the details.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
Got the clear shot this afternoon. I found some Superpoxy clear that was still clear, and some catalyst that wasn't amber. Since I've recently been using Klasskote, I got a chance to compare and contrast. Both paints sprayed the same, but the Superpoxy was dry to the touch much faster than Klasskote. I would normally think faster is better, but perhaps the slower cure allows the Klasskote more time to flow out. At any rate, both worked fine and slower hasn't been a problem. Just an observation...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
Another great looking Carrier ship due to care in using authentic colors and markings. Bravo, sir.
Chris...

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »
 H^^

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
Here is the finished Hellcat. 38 oz. Evolution 36. Test flights will be this afternoon.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
Looks good Bill, thanks for the detail on the linkage, gave me some ideas for the next one.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
Bill, is that a 4BK carb? Nice job on the airplane. Paint looks great, Klass Kote. Thanks for the pictures.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
Thanks, guys. Yes, it's an OS 4BK carb, with a dab of JB weld on the throttle arm to keep it from getting sloppy. And Pete, there's a closer look at the pared down Evolution for you.

Pilot report: It flew, it hung, the bellcrank is bindy and needs work or replacement. I fiddled with it until I ran out of patience and ideas, then we went out to eat. I hope I get to try again next week.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 05:45:19 PM »
FWIW: The new Brodak bellcrank in my Spearfish (pictured) also was pretty bindy initially. I used a jewlers file, fine sandpaper and steel wool to smooth out the slider slot. That and some spray lube helped a lot and now it is like silk. A replacement may not help as another one I had had the same issues. The old stock G&S bellcranks were much smoother out of the box. 8)

Addendum: Much of the binding on mine was traced to the slot stamped in the bellcrank. The edges were rough and uneven in places. Some careful work with a jewelers file smoothed those spots out and the movement improved.  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:43:17 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »
I agree, the old ones were better. This one feels smooth until you put line tension on it. The fits are actually too sloppy, not too tight. When you put tension on it, everything "cocks" toward the lines then it binds. It's nice when everything works right off the board, but I'm sure I'll get it sorted out. Good to know I'm not alone.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »
I got the bellcrank situation sorted out on the Hellcat. The one we had in stock at the hobby shop was even worse than what I had personally, so I ordered two more new ones from Brodak. Sad to say, all were pretty bad. Fortunately (?) one was so poorly assembled that I was easily able to pry it apart on the bottom and polish and de-burr it then peen it back together. The others were sent back.

With Brodak's commitment to the CL community, how is it that these three line bellcranks have been so sub-par for so long? I'm not picking on them, I'm genuinely wondering. I can't believe that I am the only one who has been getting poorly made bellcranks, and I have personally sent enough of them back that it should have gotten somebody's attention by now.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
As someone stated, I just use small files, sandpaper and rubbing compound to get them to work smooth.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »
     I've used a lot of these bellcranks since the early 90s and have found that the quality has been going down for some time. One glaring thing is the sky blue anodized parts that are starting to show up. At first I thought they were aluminum (the blue part) but then a magnet proved me wrong they are just soft steel instead. I install mine pointing strait out the wing halfway between the CG and the tailing edge. In the high speed location the pin soon wears a grove the size of the pin in the soft blue metal where the pin gets stuck after the 7 lap high speed run is over. I wonder what its like sitting at a table putting these bellcranks together, packaging them, sending them out to sell, and not knowing that they don't work until they have be taken apart cleaned up and reassembled so they will work. Course that could be the plan, we mess around with them and the liability shifts from the supplier to us the user. At anyrate you cant go down the road and get them any place else. I think the profit margin has to be nil so I thank Brodak's for even marketing them to us. I gotta go now and get to work on my bell crank so I can get my new e-15 carrier plane in the air.  Eric
Eric

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
I'd be happier to buy them in pieces and assemble them myself. I wonder if they'd sell them that way.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
Another great looking Carrier ship due to care in using authentic colors and markings. Bravo, sir.
Chris...

I gotta ask Joe (Just)...what is up with this marking? The model looks great, but what country's insignia is this? (gentle ribbing)
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
I'm  forward to getting back to building and get the Crusader finished (needs recovering and repainting) and the Joe Just F4F built!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Joe Just

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
I gotta ask Joe (Just)...what is up with this marking? The model looks great, but what country's insignia is this? (gentle ribbing)

Chinese American, first generation as you can tell from the red stripe that was put there to hide slightly too big cut for the spar. You should see my 2nd gereration Italian markings!
Joe

PS.......................really kidding before somebody claims I am wrong.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
The biggest thing is, on American aircraft with a star, the star always has the single point aimed forward or up,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
The biggest thing is, on American aircraft with a star, the star always has the single point aimed forward or up,

Maybe it is like the flag.... flown upside down is a distress signal.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Joe Just

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Well, here's the truth.  Because it is rather hard for me to bend over (too many blindsides in my youth) I often place a plane on the top of my big flight box which in turn sits on a desk.  Normally I would face the place away from me and work on the right wing panel to apply markings etc. This time I placed the plane facing me and set the insignia backwards by mistake.  Funny thing until now nobody has noticed the mistake. Neither did I for that matter.
Joe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
No Joe, ya know we love ya man,, but hey if you cant poke at your friends,, who can ya poke at LOL Its still a cute airplane,, maybe you should set it up to fly like a Canard,, backwards,, then the insignia would be right,, LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Joe Just

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »
No umbridge taken Mark.  I did get to wondering though....What if I entered this plane in AMA Profile Carrier, would I still get the 10 scale points all else being up to snuff?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
Does it have dehidrel??   I did have a pic years ago in which the insignia on the wings was pointed to the rear.   In fact check in the scale section you will see a pic of a scale bomber that the insignia is pointed to the rear.   I would give the ten points as Bill B. would make up for it by flying. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Here's my 2012 project for Profile Carrier. XTB3F-2S in prototype colors same as prototype Bur Aer #90505. It's basically same as last years airplane but not blue. It's equiped with an Irvine 36 ABC F1 and an O S 4BK carb. I took some pictures of details for those that are interested. I am not good with Monokote so it's a 5 foot standoff airplane but I am working on functionality. This is a duplicate of last years airplane so when spring breaks I can take a couple of tuneup flights with last years and start working sooner on the new one so it's ready for Brodak's.
Thanks
Wayne

Well it flew today wind and all. Needs a couple of ajustments but everything looks like its going to work. Bad weather until next week so I have time for some tweeking.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Darrel

• Ensign
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
Wayne, you do nice work.
Good Job

Darrel

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
50 Ft standoff.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
Wayne, Still looks nicer than most of my planes.
John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here