Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Carrier

.15 Carrier at the Nationals?

<< < (2/3) > >>

john e. holliday:
Even though I still like carrier the way it used to be I think the people going electric have to in order to be able to fly carrier at their home base.  I agree carrier and electric should be separate classes.  Just like class I and II scale should be difeent classes but some areas combine them because of low entries.  I also didn't like it when the profile event was started to encourage people to try carrier and it was decided to let people enter both scale and profile.  That practically killed carrier in my area.  But, what can I say now I can't fly competitively any more. S?P

Paul Smith:
This is an interesting topic.

There is no such thing as a electric 1/2A or an electric 15.  These are piston engine classes and small or light electric setups are a whole different thing.  Having attended the NCS dinner a couple of times it is crystal clear who was the ONE man whole jammed electric into 15 Carrier and Skyray.  It's tough get a 15 or a 40 to do the 70/75 speed limit and still hover at low speed.  But electrics do this with ease.

I have 3-line 15 plane that I could use if there was a rules change.   But I favor the 2.4 speed control based on money and availablity.

At current pricing a 3-line system costs over $120 per airplane.

2.4 has a front cost of $40 plus $10 per model and you can buy it on line instantly.

A beginner can get 2.4 working a  lot faster than 3-line.   Thus 2.4 is more open to new flyers.

bdt-m:
I really don't see the complications of a 3-line system, it's very basic. If 2.4 is that much easier, then I see the merit in it for new entrants, however; I am not inclined to view rules-requirements on simplicity only.

I guess I am old school....  y1

Paul Smith:
I have several models of BOTH 3-line and 2.4 system.  They both work.

At this time it is no problem to buy a 2.4 system.  3-line is an expensive challenge.

At contest where you need to fly four events in one day you would need four complete 3-line systems at a cost of $500.   You can set up four 2.4 systems for about $120.

Kelly Hite:
So...4 complete 3-line systems is $500, that's $125 each...got it.
New from Brodak... 3 line handle $84, belcrank $32, line set $27 = $143... each, plus tax and shipping so your a little light but close enough.
Now, four 2.4 systems can be set up for "about" $120...that's $30 each?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version