News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:01:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Profile Carrier record performance...  (Read 2251 times)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Profile Carrier record performance...
« on: October 01, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
This weekend past, 28 and 29 September, at our Karl Marschinke Memorial AA Contest in Tucson, Burt Brokaw turned in a score of 627.1 in AMA Profile Carrier - that is 110.8% of the record posted on AMA's site.

Burt is forwarding his Report of Record Performance, and - as CD - I was very glad to certify his required measurements, and info for the form, as accurate and correct.

Note: Burt also flew an AMA Class Carrier record flight at the Nats, earlier this year. It hasn't yet been posted to the model flying records page on AMA's site, but I expect both should be accepted and posted there shortly.

He does nice work...
\BEST\LOU

Offline david smith

• Commander
Re: New Profile Carrier record performance...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Do you mean 427? 627 seems a bit high.

Do you have the high speed and low speed times? I am just curious what I need to try to do on both of them to try to beat him.

David ;D

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:08:44 PM »
David,

I was there, somewhere lost in his slipstream or maybe even behind his slipstream. I watched the HS portion of the flight as that to me is always the most impressive and after watching that its pretty hard to watch the   L   S  portion. I don't know the times other than the HS was really fast and   L    S   was really slow. The weather was perfect in Tucson that day and I had made one of my better profile flights about 45 min before Burt made his. The main ingredient for such a good performance is the heavy case Nelson 36 engine he uses. You could use it in almost any carrier plane and get the same results. That is if you could fly as well as Burt fly's which is my big problem when it comes to competing with Burt. I got Burt hooked on carrier (darn) around 4 years ago with a couple of my older planes and for the first couple of years I could stay ahead of him but he has run away from me for the last 2 years. He is the smoothest flyer I have ever seen and he's great with detail (everything works perfect).
So what you need is a Nelson (20%) and lots of practise (80%) and you have the winning package. I have a package like that BUT I simply can not fly as smooth as he does in the LS portion so as Bill Bischoff says practise, practise, practise.  Eric
Eric

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »

Congrats to Burt, great job! Do we have any photos of the model?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:34:07 PM »
Hey Eric! I wish I could have been there with you guys.  Is this the plane and the characters?

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

Yes Scott that is the plane and it looks like that picture was taken this year at the North West Regional where it was first in AMA Profile and where Burt won grand champion in carrier. Eric
Eric

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
You are right.  He's on a roll that's for sure.  I don't think he's on this forum, so tell him we say Congrats.

PS-I got that speed plane to start at the Salem Speed contest a couple weeks ago.

Joe Just

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
627 +  Really seems way too high.  the previous high score , also held by Burt, appears to be 390.2 for a first place rating in the NCS buliten. Perhaps the score was 427+? 
Joe

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
The record setting score was 417.1.  Eric
Eric

Online Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Do you mean 427? 627 seems a bit high.

Do you have the high speed and low speed times? I am just curious what I need to try to do on both of them to try to beat him.

David ;D

I agree that 627 seems high -- even very high. 
Comparing that to the current posted AMA record in that class (391.5 Peter Mazur 07/12/01), 627.1 is 160% of the current record in Profile (321).
In fact 627.1 is 121% of the Class II record (517.9).

David, I was also interested to know what it would take to beat that score.  According to the NCS scoring program,-- to get 630 points, one could fly 120mph (15 sec.), then crawl at 3 mph for 10 minutes, and get a landing and the 10 point scale bonus.

Imo, I think reviewing the calculation of the score is justified.

Randy

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »
Thank you Eric. I am curious of his times because when I try to compare my score from earlier this year I dont know what he is running for a high speed. I know he is around 100 so I tried to calculate my best score this year with a 100 high and my actual 5:27 low and I would have broke the old record by about .3 point. I am curious for the simple fact that I think if I can get the high that he gets I can beat him and maybe get the record.

David

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
David, you sound like you are on the right course (lining up the ducks) to increase your score. I went down this road back in the early 1990s when I was scoring pretty high scores but I just wasn't able to raise them any further. I was running a Webra heli 35 at the time and felt that I was doing OK in LS but my HS just wasn't what the leaders were running at. At that time I think it was the K&B engines on very high nitro that were getting the best HS. I was flying with a bunch of combat guys that were running Nelson combat engines at the time and thought that they had some potential so called Henry Nelson to order a combat engine and he talked me into getting the pylon engine with a different piston, sleeve, head, and crankshaft to bring it down to 36. So that was the rout I took. I found that the heavy case Nelson (as I called it) didn't like high nitro which was OK by me but it also didn't go quite as fast as I wanted it to go either. So I called Henry back and he told me I needed to run it with a quarter wave muffler that was around 7 inches in length which made it illegal in carrier.

So I got one of the mufflers and tried it and sure enough it upped the RPMs by 1000+ making my planes much faster, only catch was it was illegal in carrier. So I started pushing for a change in the rules so I could use the muffler and after around 3 years the rule was changed so I could use the muffler if I didn't use fuel that had over 10% nitro in it. This worked out perfect because the Nelsons pylon engines had been running 10% all along so it worked perfect. Another thing that showed up was the fact that the Nelson running in carrier was loafing along compared to what they had to put out in pylon so they lasted forever (my first engine is still one of the fastest around and has never required repairs) so instead of buying new engines regularly I used only one engine. Now, sense Burt started flying carrier he and I talk a lot about how to improve performance in carrier which to me is what competition is all about.  Eric
Eric

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »
Back in the old day's around 1974, with old Rules I remember my brother set the Class I record with 595 point just missed the 600 mark with a 14.5 high speed and I believe Dave Wallick had the Class II Record Also under 600, Herron was also around the number for class II. Bob Sawicki  

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
Back in 1969 the Class I record was 553 set by my father Marion broken a week later by Willman.
www.jitterbuzz.com/manreal/nats_69_06.jpg

Offline Burt Brokaw

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
Eric told me that Lou Crane had posted my AMA Profile score from the Marschinke Memorial Contest incorrectly on Stunt Hanger so I got on to see what was going on.  Obviously Lou was relying on his memory, which unfortunately failed him this time.  Here is the official data from the contest score sheet and which was entered on the record application form:  Hi spd time 18.095 seconds, Hi spd 99.4 mph, Lo spd time 6:15:835, Lo spd 4.8 mph, 100 point landing and 10 scale points for a score of 417.1
And in case anyone is interested, here is the data for my Class II record setting flight at the Nats this year:  Hi spd time 17.03 seconds, Hi spd 105.7 mph, Lo spd time 6:09:56, Lo spd 4.86 mph, 100 point landing and 100 scale points for a score of 522.7
I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Eric Conley for all he has done for me over the last few years.  I had to quit my first modeling love (combat) due to a medical problem and decided I could probably handle seven fast laps and carrier looked like fun.  Eric gave me airplanes to get me started and was a constant source of knowlege, advise, and encouragement not to mention being a very nice person who is fun to be around.  I feel like these records should have his name on them also since I could not have done it without him. 
I very rarely get on any of the forums so if anyone wants to communicate with me it is best to contact me directly via email.
Burt Brokaw
lecreit@msn.com     

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Way to go Burt. Enjoyed flying with you at the Albuquerque contest.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 05:19:51 AM »
Back in the old day's around 1974, with old Rules I remember my brother set the Class I record with 595 point just missed the 600 mark with a 14.5 high speed and I believe Dave Wallick had the Class II Record Also under 600, Herron was also around the number for class II. Bob Sawicki  

Bob, those were the day's. Late 60's early seventies was the highpoint for Navy Carrier. Thanks for the memories.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:45 AM »
David and Joe,

...also Eric and Burt...

Right, I miscopied the score I posted in the orig post. Burt sent me a copy of his record app, which arrived shortly after that.

Glad it is corrected! The flight was great enough that it did not need an inflated, inaccurate memory for help.

I don't know if you saw the max angle gizmo we used at Tucson, or if it is widely known. Clear plastic disc freely pivoted at its center, weighted to hang with a slot at the max angle for sighting the mode. Simple, easy to use, and free from the  problem of trying to hold a drafting triangle properly leveled while observing the model.

\BEST\LOU

Joe Just

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
Lew, exactly what we have had available since 1989 with no interest shown.  Happy to see someone else building the most simple yet most accurate
devise to judge the 60 degree allowance.
Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here