News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why % of records Carrier contests?  (Read 759 times)

Joe Just

• Trade Count: (0)
Why % of records Carrier contests?
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:00:48 PM »
I am not trying to "Diss" anyone with this question, but I have always been confused as to why anyone would hold a "Percentage of Records" contest for Carrier.  In my thinking it only makes more work for the management.  Also, a person winning, let us say a 98% of record still only wins first place, while someone (in the same class) scoring at 87% still only takes second place.  I am not against this type of contest, only puzzled as to why they are held. Also are we talking National Records, or Regional Records or Top 20 Placings for the previous year.  Opinion Please! 
In closing let mne say that I will continue to try to attend any Carrier meet, no matter how placing is handled. With family health issues, that may be just wishful thinking on my part.
Joe Just

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Why % of records Carrier contests?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
I suspect that the cost of the awards/trophies for multiple events is a major factor. I know that many, many years ago we changed to record ratio speed contests since having a set of trophies for (maybe) ten events vs. one set made the contest feasible.

After all, it's the flying, not the plastic dust catcher.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
I suspect that the cost of the awards/trophies for multiple events is a major factor. I know that many, many years ago we changed to record ratio speed contests since having a set of trophies for (maybe) ten events vs. one set made the contest feasible.

I haven't flown either carrier or speed, but the idea of showing up and getting a 1st-place trophy for being the only guy in my class appeals to me a whole lot less than getting 4th out of five in something like record ratio.  I want to compete, and not in an event whose practical description is "build anything that can fly, barely, and show up on the right day at the right time".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Joe Just

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »

After all, it's the flying, not the plastic dust catcher.

Bill

I think I am beginning to see an answer.  If for example you fly a 95% of record by flying a profile, and the next best percentage is 91% of a Class 1 entered mauler you win. Is that correct? m Again, I am not trying to negate the "Percentage" type of competition, just tryin g to unmderstand it.
Joe

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »
Joe,
thats the way I understand it. all classes fly, the person closest to the record wins,, regarldess of class. everyone flies together,, so ONE set of trophies,, and actually less work for the contest admin,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
One way to solve the trophy problem.. Haven't made the official announcement yet but I am in the process of putting Phototrophies into public domain, will take a while as I have to move a bunch of stuff off the phototrophies web site and create a page or two on my main site. Once I get all this done everyone will be able to download the program for free.

With this software and some work you can produce nice trophies that everone will like for less than 2 bucks each. One of the neat things is you don't end up buying trophies that may or may not be used, if you only have two entries just don't print the 3rd place trophy and save the picture frame for your next contest.

For now the web site is still up, check it out.. http://www.myphototrophies.com/

This thread contains the background I did for the Tulsa contest last summer..
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21399.0

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »
The North Coast Controliners switched to Certificate/Photo trophies more than five years ago at our annual stunt contest. We do our own pictures, certificates and inexpensive frames which saved us a lot of money. It takes more time but each winner gets a framed cert. with a picture of them holding there airplane. The pictures are taken at weigh in.It turns out really nice. We have an excellent crew of volunteers at our contest. A well oiled machine.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
We flew Record Ratio Speed in the mid-'60's, with no regrets. Basically, the reason is that there are way too many speed events, and the same goes for carrier. There aren't enough entries in each event to justify 3 trophies.  Counting Class I, Class II, Nos. I, Nos. II, .15, Profile, and NW Sport .40 Carrier,  that makes 7 Carrier events, and 21 trophies if you go to 3rd. With Record Ratio, there's only 3, or maybe you would go to 5 if you can expect a good turnout in your area. The disgusting thing is that when there are leftover trophies, they're about useless, because the date is wrong, etc., and to have new plates made is almost the same as just buying a new trophy. Hate to throw 'em out, tho...

The NW Skyraiders have been using Bob's program to make trophies on site, but it is a hassle, starting with finding a real 110v. power source, to printers that go poof when you hook them to a genset, a photographer, the assembly guy and the the "highly paid" I.T. guy to run the system...oh, Dave Gardner does all that, just so he doesn't have to fly.  :-\ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Joe Just

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
Joe,
that's the way I understand it. all classes fly, the person closest to the record wins,, regardless of class. everyone flies together,, so ONE set of trophies,, and actually less work for the contest admin,,

Thanks to all and to you too mark!  Now the only thing is to be sure that somebody knows their math, and gets the scores to the contest management in a timely manner. In the NW I still would prefer that the new event, the NW Sport .40 to stand alone for awhile so novice and beginner fliers can get their new interest going on a positive nature.  With that I will sponsor the new Carrier event at the Portland d contest in April.
Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here