News:
2019----><---- T Shirt

Advertise Here

• August 17, 2019, 11:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: News from DraftSight  (Read 569 times)

Online John A Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
News from DraftSight
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »
I'm sorry that I have been missing from the site, for so long. I have moved, and also had some health issues that kept me away from the key board.

I received an email from Dassault Systemes, who have supplied many of us, with a decent clone of one of the top CAD programs that many of us learned to use. In my case, Auto CAD, learned while taking a Computer Design course at my locale Junior College. (IMHO one of the better ways to learn this skill.) Auto CAD, and most others, are in the same category. All, usually decent programs, but, priced out of most of our pay grades.

They will be discontinuing their free 2D cad version many of use. these free versions will be turned off at the end of the year. replacing

I'll try and insert a copy of the e-mail here.

DraftSight® 2019 is here.
DraftSight 2019 is here

New Portfolio
We listened to you and are excited to announce a new era for DraftSight - one that provides innovative, new capabilities and features based on users' feedback. DraftSight 2019 delivers more choices and tools to serve your needs - giving you the freedom to do more, and letting you work the way you want to.

DraftSight 2019 presents you with a new product portfolio that includes:

3D Modeling Capabilities for prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing

The ability to effortlessly go from 2D drafting to 3D modeling and back again to optimize and maximize your designs

Image Tracer to convert raster images to DWG files in seconds

Formulas in Tables to save calculation time

DISCOVER MORE now and choose which version of DraftSight 2019 is right for you.

DraftSight 2019 represents a major software upgrade that addresses the most requested capabilities and functionality from our users and provides new powerful features and 3D capabilities with more choices and flexibility. Plus, we are investing in other technologies including a cloud-based version of DraftSight and more.
As a result:
 - DraftSight 2019 for Windows® is offered in paid versions only.
 - All free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019.

We invite you to visit DraftSight.com to learn more.

DraftSight Logo   

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: News from DraftSight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
Yeah....they listened to us and we wanted to pay for it! Riiiiight!  Am I smelling something that was dropped out of the north end of a male cow? VD~
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline kiwibrit

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:18:24 PM »
DraftSight 2019 beta still available for Mac and Linux users.  Enjoy it whilst you can.

Mac and Linux users may access DraftSight 2019 Beta below at no cost.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
I don't have an issue with them starting to charge for the enhancements that they've introduced with the 2019 release. They have given reasonable warning.

To render the free version inoperable—even when it was part of their business plan—is very mean.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
Is there a good FREE alternative to DraftSight after they turn it off?  If not, it sounds like they want $99 annually - could be worse I suppose...  HB~>
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

"The good old days weren't always so good, tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems..." - Billy Joel

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
This one is usable, and it's open source, so barring a corporate takover of the government it'll stay free: https://librecad.org/.

It is clunky, but it's been getting steadily better since I started using it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 02:47:54 PM »
I just stumbled across this site: https://alternativeto.net/software/caduntu/

It looks like it's whole reason for existence is to let you know what you can use instead of something.  Lots of possibilities.

I tried it with DraftSight: https://alternativeto.net/software/draft-sight/, got interesting (and highly overlapping) results.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Berry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »
Another possibility is nanoCAD (https://nanocad.com/). I've tried it. Takes a little getting used to, but overall pretty similar to AutoCAD.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here