News:
2019----><---- T Shirt

Advertise Here

• July 20, 2019, 12:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Free 2D Drafting Software  (Read 389 times)

Offline JHildreth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Free 2D Drafting Software
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
I recently invested in a new laptop (IBM Thinkpad with Windows 7).  I want a free 2D drafting package for designing models.  I have used ProgeCAD and DraftSight in the past on my old Window XP Pro system, and was able to download and use them for free.  For some reason my ProgeCAD installation stopped working and at the time it appeared that it was no longer free.  I then shifted to DraftSight.  I used it for a few years, but it too quit working.  On startup, I started getting a window stating that the 30 day trial had expired.  This seems to indicate that it also is no longer free.  Does anyone out there know what the situation is with these programs?

I have browsed the internet for free 2D software and have run across QCAD and LibreCAD.  Anyone have any experience with these programs?  I am looking for something that is truly free for years of use and can export full size drawings in PDF (36 x 60 inches).

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Online Ken Bird

• 2019 supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: Free 2D Drafting Software
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
Joe,

DraftSight is still free but you will be required to register the software and re-register annually. You can download here: https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
Ignore the "Professional" version that you pay for and just go straight to the download button "2018 SP3".

It has excellent functionality for the home user and mimics the AutoCAD environment very well.

FWIW, I highly recommend it.

Ken Bird   

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • Commander
Re: Free 2D Drafting Software
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »
For generating pdfs from any program install Cutepdf.
It adds a virtual printer to your system that generates pdfs.

(And it is free  :))

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here