News:

• December 16, 2018, 11:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3D Motors From 2D Drawings  (Read 501 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
3D Motors From 2D Drawings
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
I would like to make 3D drawings of various engines from 2D 3 views, ie.,top, side, front etc. in Autocad. Can anybody help me with instructions, steps etc.

Thanks. :) :)
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Ken Bird

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: 3D Motors From 2D Drawings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
Milton,
Although I used to use AutoCAD for 3D many years ago for work, my experience is that it has gone the way of the horse and buggy. Manufacturers, R&D, and engineering firms have adopted parametric solid modelling (Inventor, SolidWorks, PTC Creo, etc) for the task. It is far easier and quicker than the old wireframe and render approach that AutoCAD demands.
If you are committed to trying 3D in AutoCAD, I would suggest a reference text such as the “Mastering AutoCAD” series. It has chapters dedicated to 3D modelling from beginner to advanced capabilities.

If you really want to model in 3D, I would urge you to consider learning to use a solid modeling platform such as SolidWorks. It requires a different approach than a 2D or 3D wireframe sketch but is far more powerful than AutoCAD is. If you join EAA, ($40/yr) you can get a student version of SolidWorks for free. It will be more than adequate for any hobbyist’s requirements.
Hope this helps.
Ken Bird

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
I am  already modeling in 3D ACAD. Yes, you are absolutely right about all of those 3d dedicated programs but for now, I would just like to rock some 3D motors for a project I am working on.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:11 AM »
There's two quick and dirty ways to get a shape when solid modelling.

One is to start with something and pare down the bits that aren't there, so kind of like milling. Start with a block and mill away everything that isn't engine shaped.

the other is to assemble a model out of simple objects - so for the cylinder head,  it's basically a set of smaller and larger cylinders stacked on top of one another will make your  cylinder with cooling fins.

Between these two methods you should be able to "assemble" a reasonable fascimile of an engine.

What program are you using at the moment?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Tags: