News:

• April 22, 2018, 09:47:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3D Motors From 2D Drawings  (Read 162 times)

Offline proparc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
3D Motors From 2D Drawings
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
I would like to make 3D drawings of various engines from 2D 3 views, ie.,top, side, front etc. in Autocad. Can anybody help me with instructions, steps etc.

Thanks. :) :)
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Ken Bird

• New Pilot
Re: 3D Motors From 2D Drawings
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
Milton,
Although I used to use AutoCAD for 3D many years ago for work, my experience is that it has gone the way of the horse and buggy. Manufacturers, R&D, and engineering firms have adopted parametric solid modelling (Inventor, SolidWorks, PTC Creo, etc) for the task. It is far easier and quicker than the old wireframe and render approach that AutoCAD demands.
If you are committed to trying 3D in AutoCAD, I would suggest a reference text such as the “Mastering AutoCAD” series. It has chapters dedicated to 3D modelling from beginner to advanced capabilities.

If you really want to model in 3D, I would urge you to consider learning to use a solid modeling platform such as SolidWorks. It requires a different approach than a 2D or 3D wireframe sketch but is far more powerful than AutoCAD is. If you join EAA, ($40/yr) you can get a student version of SolidWorks for free. It will be more than adequate for any hobbyist’s requirements.
Hope this helps.
Ken Bird

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: 3D Motors From 2D Drawings
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
I am  already modeling in 3D ACAD. Yes, you are absolutely right about all of those 3d dedicated programs but for now, I would just like to rock some 3D motors for a project I am working on.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Tags: