News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Super Chipmunk build  (Read 27377 times)

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Sig Super Chipmunk build
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:12 AM »
Moving forward to square one..

I think it was Dale Carnegie, or maybe Zig Zigler who said that when you find yourself back at square one it's not going back by moving forward, with greater knowledge and renewed intensity, or some motivational crap like that.

Anyway, I feel like I'm moving forward (finally) after a few weeks hiatus on modelling.

First things first: Engine out, tank out and survey the area to be 'renewed'. In my infinite wisdom I laid down a 1/2" balsa joiner between the motor mounts, and lined it with ply. Its so pretty it'll be a shame to remove it.

I'm thinking that I'll leave some small sections of the motor mount to screw my battery tray onto. At this stage I'm thinking ESC up top (it'll be a bottom loader), battery tray and bottom hatch. I've stolen this idea directly from Christ Rigottis build, and I really don't think there's a better way!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
So I spent a bit of time last night grinding.

After reading about Bob Hunt and Brett Buck touting the virtues of a permagrit tool to remove the motor mounts I have to agree, if I'd used the standard dremel drums I'd still be there. Even so It was slow going as i didn't want to go through the top of the fuselage, so I was effectively working through a keyhole. Add to this my dremel is getting a bit tired, and was overheating after about 10 minutes of running, it took a few hours of grinding and waiting before I managed to get most of it out.

It's not pretty, but it'll do!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
I've been busy putting everything into the plane for a test flight on on saturday morning. Everything looked OK.

Turns out it wasn't. From what we can gather, the ESC failed either through too much heat, or something else, and the motor shut down on the uphill part of a loop, the chip fell in on the lines and dorked its nose pretty hard.

Adequate cooling may have helped, or it may not. I guess we'll never know.

Now I get to redo the entire front end, so no cowling for a start, and maybe a top loader?

G

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here