News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:47:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing landing gear on Vector 40: it's a good idea?  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Wing landing gear on Vector 40: it's a good idea?
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »
Hello fellows!

My name is Carlos and I'm a 38 year-old pilot from Brazil. I've flying RC since 2005 but I've started Control Line at December 2016.

I have a ARC Brodak Vector 40 kit and I'll electrify it! But I always prefer the wing landing gear mount instead of fuselage mount. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to change the original project and build the Vector with landing gear on wings.

Would you can give some advices about this idea?

Thank you so much!

Best regards!

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil
Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing landing gear on Vector 40: it's a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
In general, I use wing gears whenever possible.  It gets the gear out of the engine/tank area.
More important, it eliminates the spreading that is all too common on wishbone landing gears.  The struts can move fore-and-aft, providing shock-absorbing without damage.  It's also easier to make a wing gear removable.

But, if the airplane is already built, it may be difficult to install the supporting structure.
Paul Smith

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
In general, I use wing gears whenever possible.  It gets the gear out of the engine/tank area.
More important, it eliminates the spreading that is all too common on wishbone landing gears.  The struts can move fore-and-aft, providing shock-absorbing without damage.  It's also easier to make a wing gear removable.

But, if the airplane is already built, it may be difficult to install the supporting structure.

Cool!

My Vector is not build yet. It's a ARC in the box. I hope to build it next month.

I've not found any pictures of a Vector 40 with wing landing gear in the internet... so I become confused.

But after read what you wrote, I'm sure that my Vector will have wings landing gear!

Thank you so much Paul!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:46:00 AM by Carlos Goncalves »
Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Paul, It's pretty easy (For an expert builder) to do. I did it with an ARF P-40 wing when I made my P-40 Shark prifile ship. Tha hardest thing was removing that "Hot" glue they use to stick it together before cyno'n it. You just have to be patient and pick at it a little at a time.

Good luck, Jerry

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
It appears that it has aluminium landing gear. Because of that I would stay with it in the fuselage.
There is no need to complicate things or reinvent the wheel.
Some of the best take offs on a rough grass field was with a model that had this type of aluminium gear that was lightened by citing the inside out and leaving a .25in (6mm) edge with a cross brace somewhere in the middle. What was done in effect the gear was weaned to the point that it was strong just enough to hold the plane. At take off the wheels where going up and down flowing the terrain while the model was tracking rock steady steady without bouncing or hopping off the ground. Look at the bottom of this http://flyinglines.org/planes.10.10.html  page
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
Carlos,

Welcome Brazil!

A few other Brazilians in the Forum, do you know any of them. Fred?

Whatever you decide I have a build on just that at CFC Graphics. I designed a model with fuselage gear then decided to put them in the wing. Time consuming but not all that difficult.

I'd have to dig in to see where it is. Mig-3 maybe?

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:29:33 AM »
Carlos,

Welcome Brazil!

A few other Brazilians in the Forum, do you know any of them. Fred?

Whatever you decide I have a build on just that at CFC Graphics. I designed a model with fuselage gear then decided to put them in the wing. Time consuming but not all that difficult.

I'd have to dig in to see where it is. Mig-3 maybe?

CB

Hello Avaiojet!

Thank you! Of course I know Fred Cesquim... he's a great builder here in Brazil! His models are pretty good and most of brazilian pilots love his work!

I saw in your signature a reference for Marcus Cordeiro. A great pilot and friend that has passed away last june. It's was a loss to brazilian C/L and I guess for all the world. RIP Marcus!

I have almost 13 year RC experience but only 8 months of C/L. I'm just begginer. At this moment I fly a Pathfinder 30 with Enya 30ss engine. I have a Nobler with OS 40FP too.

And I'll begin to build a electric Brodak Vector 40 (ARC). But I love the look of the planes with landing gear on wings. And I will make this mod.

I did some researchs in the internet but I haven't found anyone mod like this. And I don't know the really advantages (or not) to have landing gear on wings.

But I will do! Maybe it'll be the first Vector 40 with wings mount landing gear!

Thank you for your reply!!!

Regards,

Carlos
Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »
Carlos,

About Marcus. Marcus was a great contributor to the Forum. He also showed up in a few others but not as often.

Here's a guy that really loved the hobby and other modelers.

Never have I ever read a negative comment from Marcus.

I shared more "secret" emails with Marcus than any other Forum member. I believe I knew Marcus well even though we never meet.

I miss reading and sharing ideas with Marcus.

A tremendous and unfortunate loss.

About the gear in the wing.

I really like the look for some models. Plus you get an increase in the "track" or wider apart.

If you go over to CFC Graphics vendor's corner there's a couple of Threads with some information and photos. Get you started.

Here they are:

1) Mig-3 Reconnaissance Aircraft & Warbird, Page 2, Starting at Reply #79

2) IC to "E" With a New Look, Starting at Reply #32

I hope this helps?

BTW. Any question you ask of the members of the Forum, all will be answered. Differently in some cases, but answered. A good thing actually.  LL~

Hey! Don't be a stranger.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:57 AM »
Carlos,

About Marcus. Marcus was a great contributor to the Forum. He also showed up in a few others but not as often.

Here's a guy that really loved the hobby and other modelers.

Never have I ever read a negative comment from Marcus.

I shared more "secret" emails with Marcus than any other Forum member. I believe I knew Marcus well even though we never meet.

I miss reading and sharing ideas with Marcus.

A tremendous and unfortunate loss.

About the gear in the wing.

I really like the look for some models. Plus you get an increase in the "track" or wider apart.

If you go over to CFC Graphics vendor's corner there's a couple of Threads with some information and photos. Get you started.

Here they are:

1) Mig-3 Reconnaissance Aircraft & Warbird, Page 2, Starting at Reply #79

2) IC to "E" With a New Look, Starting at Reply #32

I hope this helps?

BTW. Any question you ask of the members of the Forum, all will be answered. Differently in some cases, but answered. A good thing actually.  LL~

Hey! Don't be a stranger.

Charles

Charles,

I agree with everything you wrote about Marcus... we don't believe he leave us yet...

Thank you for the helps... I'm sure that it'll help me so much! When my Vector is ready to fly, I will post some photos here!

I'm loving this forum... thanks for all!

Regards

Carlos

Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
Hello fellows!

My name is Carlos and I'm a 38 year-old pilot from Brazil. I've flying RC since 2005 but I've started Control Line at December 2016.

I have a ARC Brodak Vector 40 kit and I'll electrify it! But I always prefer the wing landing gear mount instead of fuselage mount. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to change the original project and build the Vector with landing gear on wings.

Would you can give some advices about this idea?

Thank you so much!

Best regards!

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

the best idea  is to use a  cf 40 size  fuse gear,  it is lighter and stronger than wing gear, works way better on grass, it better for rough landings, does not  nose over as much as wing gear does, does not poke holes in the wing in rough fields etc...
cf fuse gear is easy to setup were you can spin the gear around, and it moves the  wheels  frontwards  or backwards  for grass/concrete

Randy

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »
the best idea  is to use a  cf 40 size  fuse gear,  it is lighter and stronger than wing gear, works way better on grass, it better for rough landings, does not  nose over as much as wing gear does, does not poke holes in the wing in rough fields etc...
cf fuse gear is easy to setup were you can spin the gear around, and it moves the  wheels  frontwards  or backwards  for grass/concrete

Randy

Hello Randy!

Thank you so much for your opinion! I will pay attention on your tips!

Nobody is better than the creator of the Vector 40!!! I'm really proud to make part of this forum!

Best regards!!!
Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
I built the Brodak Vector 40 kit, There is nothing wrong with the Fuse mounted gear as it comes. It does not get in the way of the tank, and is stable and sturdy. You could make it removable but it is not really necessary. The wing structure would need serious modification especially in an ARC as you would have to remove plenty of sheeting to gain enough access. If weight is a concern then you could go with a carbon replacement but for a ARC, why bother with the expense.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Carlos Goncalves

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 04:53:13 AM »
I built the Brodak Vector 40 kit, There is nothing wrong with the Fuse mounted gear as it comes. It does not get in the way of the tank, and is stable and sturdy. You could make it removable but it is not really necessary. The wing structure would need serious modification especially in an ARC as you would have to remove plenty of sheeting to gain enough access. If weight is a concern then you could go with a carbon replacement but for a ARC, why bother with the expense.

Hello Peter!

Wow... your Vector is so beautiful! Congrats!!!

Thank you for your words. I will pay attention on your tips too.

Regards
Regards,

Carlos Gonçalves
Brazil

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
"But, if the airplane is already built, it may be difficult to install the supporting structure."

An ARC is already built. I agree with liking the wing mounted LG, but it'd be better to stick with the fuselage mounted gear. For what it's worth, I believe an aluminum LG will generally give better landing points than a CF gear. Some of us were talking about this at our last club meeting. Yes, the CF gear is a lot lighter. Light isn't everything that's important. If you bounce the landing with a CF gear, it just keeps bouncing.  H^^ Steve

PS: Say hello to Fabio Nutini if you see him... LL~ 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:34 AM »
I have a Vector kit and 2 ARC models.

Don't try to fit landing gear in the ARC wing. No problem fitting it to a laser kit if you go that way some time in the future but I would expect fitting gear in the ARC wing might weaken the wing—even for an experienced builder.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here