News:

• May 20, 2024, 01:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tips for cutting cores  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
tips for cutting cores
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »
hi guys, just thought I'd ask for some tips from the 'brains trust' about cutting cores for stunt.

I've done cores for RC, which have always had a leading edge block glued on, and so all my cores have had a vertical face on the LE, and a lead in on the templates.

Now that I'm considering cutting some cores for stunt, it makes sense to do some moulded LE's while I'm at it. Cutting the LE form is no problem as far as I can see, it's basically the same deal as cutting a turtledeck. What does have me in a twirl is cutting the LE radius on the wing core.

Is this just sanded to match some templates, or is it cut as part of the process of the main wing cuts?

Also, what's the general concensus on coring? Before or after sheeting?

I should point out that these cores aren't going to go into anything good, just a profile or 5 till I get good enough to produce decent wings, and not re-arrange my models in outside squares.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: tips for cutting cores
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »
Good Morning Greg;

Don't know if you have a (US) AMA membership, but if you do you can log into the AMA site, and read the back issues in the archives.  Back in 2008/9 Bob Hunt did a 'build-along' series for his Hot Shot design and showed the various techiques he uses.  The September 2008 issue addressed the process he uses (used?) to cut his foam wing cores.

Direct link to that article (don't know if it will let you get there without authenticating a user name/password) is: https://library.modelaviation.com/ma/2008/9  Bob's column starts on page 139...

r/
Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
Look at the post at the top of this section by Bob Hunt on molded leading edge caps.   Also if you contact Bob you will find he will be very helpful with what you are trying to do.  Remember he is a very busy man so use either a PM,  E-Mail or the land line/cell phone.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »
You can cut perfectly good cores using 1/8 in. aircraft ply or formica as tempates.  Put a pin in the front for the lead in.  Most folks just use 3 in light nails through the tempates into the foam.  Or you can use a system where the templates have only one curve and rest on a board, to help maintain alignment.

You'll need a helper to get around the leading edge, although for just a couple of sets it can be done solo. Practice makes perfect.

lHollowing the cores is best done after sheeting, although folks have done it both ways.  If the cores are hollowed first you can press the cutouts back in before sheeting to help prevent warping the cores.  But ordinarily it doesn't take a lot of pressure to keep the sheeting down while the glue is drying.
phil Cartier

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »
melt the pilot holes for coring before you cut the wing, that is the risky part.  If you mess that up, you didn't put all the time in the wing and the $$ for the sheeting.     

Core the wing after the sheeting is attached.  Going around LE takes a light touch and a tight bow.  Use a nail as a lead in and start at the LE cut the top and go back to the front. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
Okay guys, I finally got around to trying to cut some cores on wednesday.

The results were appalling.

I think I might be doing it wrong.

Let me talk you through it and hopefully you can tell me where I'm going wrong.

I'm cutting cores using 4 templates, two upper two lower. I'm also trying to cut the leading edge as a part of this, by having a lower and higher lead in with a radius to get a decent shape.

The lower cut usually (not always) goes ok. If I don't haul on the bow too quickly (it's a automated weight driven bow) I can get it to follow the lower curve, but the upper curve turns into a disaster as the wire will usually catch on the radius as it's nearly vertical, and one side will usually climb the template first leaving a very funky looking trailing edge.

I'm cutting from LE to TE.

I'm now thinking that I might be better off cutting the upper surface backwards (from TE to LE) so that the bow doesn't have to climb over the LE radius, it goes down over it.

How is everyone else cutting their leading edge radius?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
no cut from LE to TE that way if there are any errors in the line pull may off a little it will work out.     Add some more lead in on the template around the LE so the wire can't get stuck , get the templates smoother, rub them with wax
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
Curare- need to put wooden spools on the wire so they can be guided around the leading edge.  I assume this is something like the feather touch cutting system.  It will keep the wire on the right taper, but doesn't do anything to make it follow the templates, so you have to.
phil Cartier

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 02:59:11 AM »
Phil, thanks for that, I've spent the weekend ruining foam, and after a few extra goes, I managed to produce a barely passable LE, using another LE template. Alignment is a pain so I may make a jig to hold it in place.

I killed a set of cores trying to get the cutout holes through, the first one I tried doing by hand, with 1/8" music wire and it didn't take long before I had the wire hangign out the side of the blank. no joy.

I built a guide, but the 1/8" wastoo wobbly, redid it for 1/4" and finally started to get some decent results by hole 6. By this time I'd pointed the 1/4" rod, and clamped the wing in place so the wire had nowhere to go apart from where I wanted it.

I think next time I try (maybe tomorrow) I'll do the core holes first, and THEN cut the foil shape!

It's an expensive way to learn, but learn I am!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »
Wish I could be there in person to help you.   I have trouble putting into words the procedure of doing cores.   Really if you could get one of Bobby Hunts videos on cores would help a lot.   I have a video by icehockeydad, but it is a cassette and I have no way of looking at it any more.   But punching holes through the cores takes a jig and thought.   Need a vertical board to put eyelets in for the 1/8 music wire to slide through.   Then the cores are centered under it.   I use a clothes pin spring type to hold the rod just above the core.   Take the torch and heat the wire to red hot and release it.  Be sure you have clearance between the foam and the floor.   If everything is vertical the wire will melt through the core and hit the floor.  Then you start over again for the nest hole in the core. 

As I said,  I wish I could be there to help you.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
Doc, thanks for that, even a little information is good.

I made something like that as a jig, but made a mess of one hole because I didn't check the alignment of the core, and so it speared through the side. My fault entirely. I realised that while I had the vertical axis nailed down, the horizontal axis could be waaay off.

Over the course of last night I thought that if I add a stick of wood to the bushing for the rod, that follows the same axis as the rod, I should be able to clamp the stick to the core, and determine exactly where the rod should come out. Considering most of my core material is 3" thick, it shouldn't be too hard to get the height accurate enough.

As I said, I'm not ready to give up just yet.

This is a whole lot harder than cutting cores for RC models, but I have to admit it's opening up a lot more possibilities.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Greg;

I think it is Phil Barnes' video on cutting cores for r/c sailplanes...  Those wings use a 1/2" ID tube for a spar/wing joiner, and I believe Phil simply has templates with a thin vertical slot leading down to the circular hole in the template.  He allows the wire to drop down through the top of the core, runs around the ID of the template cutout, and then lifts out the wire at the top (might even kill the current prior to doing so).

The kerf should be minimal, and you should be able to glue the gap closed and maintain airfoil integrity (I assume the cores will be skinned, and the outer beds will ensure the wing is the shape you want).

Possible solution?

r/
Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here