News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing area.  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wing area.
« on: April 27, 2023, 04:36:51 PM »
For some reason I was wondering how much of an increase there would be in wing area by adding a couple inches to the span of a Twister wing. Using 50.5 span instead of the 48 and using the same flaps as shown on the plans. I figure the wing area would be 491 square inches. The plans say 490 in stock form. I measured the plans and did the math and came up with 470 square inches. That is a head scratcher. The only thing I can come up with is that the prototype was 50 inch span and the plans were changed with the exception of the wing area.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wing area.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 06:01:21 PM »
For some reason I was wondering how much of an increase there would be in wing area by adding a couple inches to the span of a Twister wing. Using 50.5 span instead of the 48 and using the same flaps as shown on the plans. I figure the wing area would be 491 square inches. The plans say 490 in stock form. I measured the plans and did the math and came up with 470 square inches. That is a head scratcher. The only thing I can come up with is that the prototype was 50 inch span and the plans were changed with the exception of the wing area.
It doesn't answer your question but I added one rib 4" to mine (1 rib one each side) and it flew really great.  Never did the area math.  Did all of the other "Fancher" mods too.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 07:17:54 PM »
Perry,

It looks to me like the plans I have are the same--and I would guess that the copying process had a minor scaling issue. Mine measure out to about 47-5/8" which would equate to less than a 1% scaling error when compared to the claimed wingspan of 48".

If I run the numbers using the claimed wingspan of 48", I get 472.5 sq. in. Still not quite the claimed 490 sq. in. on both the box and the plans.

There's a story somewhere--and it looks like it is in the original math....

On the Twister I built I added extended, shaped-block tips which added about 3" span per side. They look nice, but I should have done more lightening (thinning) work.

Dave

Online Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:41:30 PM »
YEA .

The PAPER can expand / contract maybe 3/4 inch to a A1 sheet , from humid cool to schorching dry . so like horsepower , needs a Std. barometer Correction .  S?P

Eres Mr Fanchers contribution .

Four Ninty and Fourty eight , are almost the same , bar a decimal place or two .So an inch is ten . More or Less . So four inches is fourty , twice is eighty . But if its eight its thirty two . Twice .

Ahem , if the CHORD of the ribbed bits EIGHT , ya getta bout 30 a side , so a extra 60 or 65 or so . thereabouts . Which is about 10 % more area . or , at the same weight , 10 % less loading .
Or can Go Harder , before you load it up to the Std. limit .  VD~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here