Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Wheel Pants on Brodak Vector 40

(1/2) > >>

Warren Leadbeatter:
Hi All,

Pleased to meet you all. I am Warren L an up and coming Stunt flyer from Australia.  I have recently introduced my two daughters to Control line, both whom love building and flying control line with me.

I have a question regarding the Wheel Pants on the Brodak Vector 40 designed by Randy Smith which I am currently building.  The plans and instructions do not show too much detail about the actual shape of the finished Wheel Pants.  They only show an elevation view and _not_ a plan view.  I'm trying to decide how much taper to put on them and how thin they should be at the back when viewed from the top.

Looking at other Wheel Pant designs I can see most are fairly rounded at the front and taper at the back down to about 1/16" thickness when viewed from the top. When viewed from the side the thickness is about 1/4" to 3/8" thickness at the back.

Does that make sense? Does this sound like what the Vector 40 should be?  Any pictures whould be great!

Thanks in advance
Warren Leadbeatter
Sydney Australia

RC Storick:
Look here for detail on things http://www.stunthangar.com/tips.htm

Wynn Robins:
I second what Ty says.....do what you like the look of.... just make sure you can fit the wheels inside before you carve them too thin.  1/16 at the rear would be almost impossible to do.........they are not particulary long.

Bill Little:
Welcome, Warren!

I have several "mates" in the land down under.  ;D  Herb Hanna, Peter White, etc., so I hope you get to fly with them, if you haven't already.  y1

I totally agree with the guys who have already posted.  They do reduce the drag of just having a wheel/tire hanging out in the breeze, but they mostly seem to serve an "beauty purpose".

a couple things to be cautious of:  make them as light as possible, fuel proof the insides, and MAKE VERY SURE that they are properly aligned.  If they get skewed in or out, it will cause trim problems that you may never catch.

Oh, you can make them take apart so that you can change tires when you wear the first set out!

Bill <><

Greg L Bahrman:

--- Quote from: Rudderless on July 25, 2006, 02:41:27 PM ---
How does one wear out tires on a stunt plane? Roll it on the ground in the garage every day. **)

--- End quote ---

Naw, Just tow it behind your vehicle to the flying field and back a couple of times and you'll see.  (with a little negative elevator)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version