Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

What’s up with my CA?

(1/2) > >>

Wayne Collier:
Over the years I’ve tossed multiple bottles of ca because it set up hard in the bottle. This bottle is different. I used almost half of it with no problems then it started talking forever to set up. Several minutes after applying, it still pulls apart?  When it does set the joint seems week. It doesn’t seem very sticky when it comes out of the bottle.

Any of y’all ever had this happen?

Wayne Collier:

--- Quote from: Motorman on October 08, 2020, 05:21:08 PM ---Is it cold where you're working? I find CA doesn't harden if it's too cold in my shop but it still goes off if I kick it.

Motorman

--- End quote ---

I have seen glue affected by cold but I don’t think that’s what’s going on here.

It dropped below 60 a couple times recently but not for long. I wouldn’t say it was cold. I doubt it got much lower than seventy in my work space.

Probably gone bad. Just never seen it go bad like this.

Understand what you’re saying Ty. Already got a replacement bottle.

Mike Alimov:
What you're describing is a clear sign that the CA has gone bad. I've had that happen many times. I now store my CA reserves in a ziplock bag in a freezer (1-yr shelf life), and pour into a dispenser bottle about 1/4 oz at a time. Lasts much longer this way.

Norm Furutani:
I have had this problem with Zap/Pacer products CA. Normally with time it would thicken and be unusable, now, several bottles stayed liquid but would not harden. I have since switched to Bob Smith CA and I am very happy with their products. BTW- this is from very mild, SoCal weather.

NormF

Dan Berry:
Probably old.
Or Zap, which I've given up on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version