News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is lighter?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is lighter?
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »
Current project (scale) has a mix of fabric and balsa sheet covering.  On the sheeted panels, to hide the grain, what is lighter? Silkspan or filling with sanding sealer?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: What is lighter?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »
Current project (scale) has a mix of fabric and balsa sheet covering.  On the sheeted panels, to hide the grain, what is lighter? Silkspan or filling with sanding sealer?

Gary

Silkspan and dope
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
Well, there's always Bob Hunt's epoxy method. Paint on thinned epoxy to a sheeted wing the wipe it off the put filler on. Never tried it myself. I do silkspan and dope.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:40:14 PM »
Silkspan and dope

Silkspan and dope is probably the lightest.  Be sure to use a good quality butyrate dope to keep the covering flexible.  Some autobody clear, at least around the nose will keep it from getting fuel soaked.
phil Cartier

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
Over balsa, Japanese tissue is lighter, tighter fiber and needs less filler to be smooth than silkspan, Polyspan or Carbon veil.. Not, however, strong enough for open structures except for very small models.

In my experience, trying to fill balsa with just dope and fillers is hopeless. Each successive coat brings back the grain. Maybe if you leave a week of outgassing between coats that would not happen, but I haven’t that kind of patience.

I have been pleased with two or three coats of very thinned epoxy, sanded between coats to give “tooth” for the next coat. Mixing in some cornstarch really helps too! It is lighter, fills better and sands out more easily.

BTW, cornstarch is cheaper, lighter, less toxic than Talc, and absorbs some of th paint for a better bond. And you can swipe all you need from the kitchen and the little woman will never notice.  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »

And you can swipe all you need from the kitchen and the little woman will never notice.  VD~
Good luck with that.  I am still serving time for trying to sneak out a potato chip. ~^

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »

I would just add a "me too" on the others - you will *never* get the grain filled with sanding sealer alone, and even acceptable results will take months of waiting to allow it to shrink before sanding and finishing.

For scale, I would definitely look into sealing the bare wood with finishing epoxy before applying anything like dope to it, to stabilize the surface with something that only shrinks a little bit and very slowly. It would very nice to get rid of dope of any variety, but so far I haven't seen any acceptable substitutes for it in applying silkspan (although there are a bunch of very poor substitutes). The weight hit is negligible if you do it right (Bobby says it was about an ounce for a full-size stunt plane) which is not a problem if it's only in limited areas, and makes the finishing better and more durable.

Note the "do it right" part - you aren't trying to fill in "one coat" with epoxy, you want to get good coverage and then remove absolutely every bit of it you can get to, no puddles on the surface or shiny spots. You want just enough to fill some pores and stabilize the surface with something that will not move when you put solvents on it.

Brett

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:14:04 PM »
I recently used the Bob Hunt method on a 700 sq. inch foam wing and flaps.

I used Z-Poxy Finishing Resin, part number PT-40 - scrape off w/ paper towels and a credit card.  Block sand lightly with 240 when cured.

Z-Poxy added 20 grams.  Area covered was 1400 sq. inches of lite (porous) balsa.

The epoxy stabilizes and SEALS the wood.  The epoxy prevents the dope from soaking into the wood.  The next two coats of clear (Nitrate) added a total of only 4 grams.  Much less weight than the dope would have without the Z-Poxy.  The result is a net weight savings. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here