News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the lightest you've ever built a Flying Clown?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
What's the lightest you've ever built a Flying Clown?
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »
I currently building the prototype of my Flying Clown v2.0 for electric.  The wing is complete, the fuselage is mostly complete (a little trimming for the motor still needed), and tail surfaces are ready for hinging and gluing in.  Total weight is currently 4.25 oz. (bare airframe).  ;D  Area is in the neighborhood of 230 squares.  I'm thinking it may almost be too light.

Thoughts?

Steve

ps - pics to follow (eventually)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: What's the lightest you've ever built a Flying Clown?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
These smaller models without flaps really need to be light!  There is an ongoing discussion about weight in the larger, higher powered models.  Generally, I find that lighter is better, even in a 60-size plane.

A Flying Clown in electric would be tough to make light!  The weight penalty in batteries would defeat any attempt to come in under weight.

I have an electric Ringmaster, which is just so-so because it's too heavy.  On the other hand, I have a Ringmaster with OS 15 that is now at 17 oz.  It was a couple oz. lighter before it shed a wing and had to be beefed up!  Of course, special construction techniques are necessary to achieve that weight. (one dare not crash such marginal-strength construction).

Floyd in OR..
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here