News:

• May 09, 2024, 01:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Strega  (Read 2819 times)

Offline David Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak Strega
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »
I'm just nicely underway in the build of a Brodak Strega kit.  I'm trying to do this a carefully as I can and I'm using more jigging and little fixtures than I ever have in the past.  We'll see if it translates into a better flying plane - or if I can even tell.  Based on what I've read, I'm rounding off the leading edge of the wing and it will end up with a LE radius of about 5/8".  As far as the flaps go, I've encountered two schools of thought; one says reduce the width of the flaps by 3/4" and leave them full span and the other says whack off the outer 6".  After reading some of Ted Fancher's writing on flaps I'm inclined to make them 15% - 17% of the full chord, which, coincidently, amounts to about a 3/4" reduction in width.  I'm inclined towards 17% because I seem to be 'light building challenged'.  To paraphrase the great Dave Stieb, "Tomorrow I'll Build a Really Light Plane'.

I'm puzzled by the thickness of the wood for the flaps supplied in the kit.  It's only 1/4" which seems really thin when put next to the 1/2" thick trailing edge of the wing.  I know that there's a school of though that advocates the control surface being somewhat thinner than the trailing edge but this seems a little extreme.  I'm also concerned about the torsional rigidity of the thin flaps.  Thoughts?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I'm also considering fully sheeting the wing.  By the time the leading edge, trailing edge and centre section sheeting are in place there's not that much open bay.  It seems to me that it might be quicker, easier and perhaps, lighter to sheet the whole darn thing with carbon mat over it all.  Again, thoughts?  Anyone?  Anyone?

I'll post a picture or two when I feel I have something worth showing.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Brodak Strega
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
Windy's and Ted's design philosophies are quite different. Windy tended to like really large control surfaces that didn't deflect all that much while Ted tended toward more conventional approach. My thought is, if you're building a Strega, build a Strega. As far as the flaps, I think 1/4" would make a great core. Hog them out, rib them and sheet them with 1/16". That will give you 3/8" thick flaps that are substantially more stable torsionally.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
As far as the flaps, I think 1/4" would make a great core. Hog them out, rib them and sheet them with 1/16". That will give you 3/8" thick flaps that are substantially more stable torsionally.

Great idea, Randy.  Thanks.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Mike Griffin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »
David I definitely agree with Randy on the flaps and I personally have always leaned more toward Ted's building techniques.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here