News:

• May 08, 2024, 11:54:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine offset  (Read 2817 times)

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
engine offset
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
Gentlemen,

I am perplexed.
What should the engine offset be for a Full Body stunter?

Mr. Pat Johnson says he prefers 2 degree offset.

The Brodak plans state 0/0 (no engine offset).

Mr. Wayne Willey recommends that 0/0 is the engine offset.

At one time Mr Brett Buck recommend some offset.

What engine offset is recommended for a Profile stunter?

Not sure what engine offset is the best for the Chas Parrott Ryan.

Any additional suggestions?
           1.0 degree?
           1.5 degree?
           2.5 degree?
           etc......

Thanks for your advice.

T Michael Jennings     n~
Knoxville, TN.       ???

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: engine offset
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
To paraphrase the famous Ted Fancher: just enough out thrust to insure there is no in thrust. Just enough down thrust to insure there is no up thrust.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Somebody told me recently that Paul's Impact article says 2 deg. right thrust, but I just looked and found it says 0-0 on rudder and engine. His PW-51 Mustang did use right thrust, I'm pretty sure.

I learned a long time ago (but then forgot) that a little engine offset will very much speed restoration of lost line tension...if that ever happens to you.  You still trim the model to fly tangent to the circle with LO guides. This will put the LO's a bit far forward when the motor/engine stops, but with the speed reduction, the LO's are really too far back anyway. Remember that the faster the model goes, the farther back the LO guide should be, per Line 2 & Line 3 programs, so when in glide mode, they should move forward, but don't. So, I'm with Patrick. And RJ Whitely, OBTW.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
Hi T Michael,

Go with 1.5* - 2* engine offset (like as has been said, enough to make sure there is no in thrust).  Down thrust is sometimes used, about 1*.  So far I have not tried that even though Alfadawg requires it. ;D

I believe Mr. Bill Werwage (aka: The Man) still uses out thrust, and that's good enough for me.  Three World Champs and 32 years between #2 and #3.............. he's gotta know what he's doing! y1

With out it some planes really have to be very finely tuned (which Brett, et.al. are fully capable of doing).  Those with less available flying time (and talent/experience)might be better off with using the out thrust. 

Disclaimer: I have built several models, both built up and profile, and used no out thrust.  The only time it caused a "potential" problem was on a profile which ended up with IN thrust (maybe a degree) for some unknown reason.  I didn't notice it, but my son did.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
Remember that the faster the model goes, the farther back the LO guide should be, per Line 2 & Line 3 programs

I wouldn't think so.  If there's no wind and the programs don't consider aerodynamic side forces on the airplane, the line shape is independent of speed.  Both line drag and "centrifugal" force are proportional to speed squared.  There's a difference in drag from Reynolds number, but it's wee.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:46:45 AM »
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 , on the Outer Engine .  %^@ S?P H^^

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
Remember that the faster the model goes, the farther back the LO guide should be, per Line 2 & Line 3 programs...

I finally downloaded Line III.  It says the lines go forward as the speed increases.  How come is that, Bob?   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
I finally downloaded Line III.  It says the lines go forward as the speed increases.  How come is that, Bob?    

If everything but speed stays the same.. The faster the airplane travels the higher the line tension and consequently less line bow between the handle and airplane. If the lines were straight from the handle to the airplane the leadouts would be right at the CG.

Added: Been a while but I think I included a PDF file written by Pete Soule in the LineIII installation. Seem to remember it explaining the calculations with an illustration or two.  If my memory is correct, basically you should end up with an imaginary straight line between the handle and the GC at the fuselage.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:29:03 AM by Bob Reeves »

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
That's not it.  Drag is proportional to speed squared, too. Does line drag coefficient decrease with Reynolds number?  Looks like it might, but I can't find any free data on the Web with sufficient resolution.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »
That's not it.  Drag is proportional to speed squared, too. Does line drag coefficient decrease with Reynolds number?  Looks like it might, but I can't find any free data on the Web with sufficient resolution.

You got me? I just put a Windows user interface on Pete's work. He must have determined centrifugal force increases with speed greater than line drag.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
He must have determined centrifugal force increases with speed greater than line drag.

Aha.  I found it, and yes, he did.  Indeed Pete's paper was in the Line III folder.  (It's also at http://www.fesselflug.ch/download/pdf/2011/Leinezug/linedrag2003.pdf ).  It includes Reynolds number of lines, which looks like the reason for line angle going down with speed.  It's a really cool paper.  It also discusses whipping and the effect of wind.  You also included a .pdf file of his paper on atmosphere, written for modelers and similarly wonderful.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I finally downloaded Line III.  It says the lines go forward as the speed increases.  How come is that, Bob?   

Just think a moment what is the heaviest thing in your plane? ..........................
If you tie a rock to the end of a stick. Then tie a string to the stick somewhere behind the rock where the stick hangs horizontal (balanced). Will the rock point more or less to the outside of the circle the faster you twirl it?

Will the rock point more or less out side the circle if you move the string back down along the stick vs moveing it forward?

Kind of simplistic but you get the point.

For those less enlightned replace the rock with the engine, the stick with the plane the string with the Lines and the location of the leadout guide as the point on the stick where you tie the string.

And this is the main reason why almost no offset is required, the simple weight of the engine and location related to the leadouts help keep the nose pointed outward. What needs to be compensated for is the torque reaction of the motor and thats related to propellor and for other factors.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
For Pete's sake, Pete, read Pete's paper. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
Engine out-thrust on a profile is no big deal. You can experiment all you want, and all it takes is a couple washers under the engine lugs.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
For Pete's sake, Pete, read Pete's paper. 

Why, does it redfine the basic laws of physics?

I did mention that the explanation above is the Most Simple Terms / Example. And besides, everything eventually is reduced back to the most simple of explanations. Such as (you move the leadouts further froward as speed increases) This is a case that starts with simple physics then a whole bunch of external factors get tossed in with equally numerous and complex formula to identify it all to get right back to the very simple answer of "you move the leadouts further froward as speed increases".

Now Y'all can get tangled up in the minutia of the why if's and what then's and the calculation of Pi to the 10,238th decimal place, but I have enough of that at work to get all wound up about it with model airplanes. Besides the frictional coefficient of stainless steel wire in air, at 3,231.683497 ft. altitude above MSL, at 43.821 % humidity, and 76.821 degrees F., and how it impacts the engine offset and lead out position on a toy airplane really belongs in the Engineering section of the forum.  ;D ;D
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
Why, does it redfine the basic laws of physics?

No, it will explain them to you.  The reason that the leadouts move forward as speed increases seems to be the rather subtle effect of how line drag varies with Reynolds number.  Line III says that going from a sea level standard day in Seattle, I should have moved my leadouts only half as far forward as I would have calculated using density ratio alone.  Indeed, it is bloody little.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
Aha.  I found it, and yes, he did.  Indeed Pete's paper was in the Line III folder.  (It's also at http://www.fesselflug.ch/download/pdf/2011/Leinezug/linedrag2003.pdf ).  It includes Reynolds number of lines, which looks like the reason for line angle going down with speed.  It's a really cool paper.  It also discusses whipping and the effect of wind.  You also included a .pdf file of his paper on atmosphere, written for modelers and similarly wonderful.  

Hang in there T Michael!
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
Hang in there T Michael!

Good point.  I'm no help with engine offset.  Trouble is, when you build a full-body plane with one engine angle and then decide to change it, it looks ugly.  I built my last plane with zero offset, but it worked better with 1/2 degree, so the spinner no longer fit.  I built the new one with 2 degrees offset, and now I hear that it will work best with zero.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
When you look at the aerodynamics, mainly of the wing, the outboard wing flys faster than the inboard wing.  Wild Bill had the formula someplace.  It depends solely on the wingspan  related to the line length.  So on a 48 in. plane  with equal panels the aerodynamic center of the wing is about .44 in. to the right of the centerline.  On a 60 in. plane it would be about .6 in.  This gives you a couple(unbalanced force) between the thrust line and the center of drag, on a full-bodied stunter that is always turning the  plane out of the circle.   Profile planes lose some of this couple because the width of the fuselage subtracts from the wing aero offset, reducing the force.

On a profile you can get the couple back by aiming the thrustline so it crosses the wing centerline close to the quarter chord of the wing.  Then the force layout is almost identical to a full-bodied plane.  Adding washers under the front engine bolts works, but is hard on the case and motor mounts.  I've had much better success cutting the angle into the motor mounts, usually about 3/32 in. in the about 1.5 in. where the motor bolts up.  Make sure to angle the bolt holes to match and the bolts will love you.

You can add to the effect by making the outboard wing a little larger(a few square inches).  Some folks do this by enlarging the outboard flap.  Then you need to balance that by adding either more tip weight, and/or moving the leadouts back a bit.  Other folks eliminate the couple by making the inboard wing a few square inches larger by making it half an inch or so longer. That simplifies some trim problems but introduces a few also.

The bottom line is no matter what you do the plane is assymmetric when it is flying because the outboard wing flies further than the in board wing.  All the trimming and design tricks are aimed at minimizing this effect on the plane in maneuvers, but in the end they are only perfect for one speed and one attitude.  So just get it close to some happy medium.

One advancement you can't use in PA yet is Spectra lines.  They weigh about 1/6 of what stainless steel lines weigh.  The low weight almost completely eliminates any effects from the bow in the lines swinging around as the plane maneuvers.  The weight of the lines usually shows up in the maneuvers with turns of a tight radius.  The plane slows, the backwards bow in the lines kind of rolls down the lines, usually just in time to jerk the plane as the next corner is starting.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Howard and Phil should be able to 'splain this, based on their combat 'sperience. If I have a 30 oz combat model (ok, maybe a bit heavy) that goes 110 mph, and a 30 oz stunter (maybe a Ringmaster?) that goes 55 mph, both using the same size and length of lines, which will have the LO's more aft? The combat models I've seen have the LO's way back yonder. Why?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
Combat planes don't weigh much and have relatively fat lines.  That's why their lines bow back so much. Use Line III.  It's the bees' knees.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
Combat planes don't weigh much and have relatively fat lines.  That's why their lines bow back so much. Use Line III.  It's the bees' knees.

The two planes weigh the same and have the same size & length of lines (because under the old rules, the .42 CID engine in the stunter made it so). Ok, it was a trick question, I admit it.   :-[ Steve

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
Look, Steve, I'm a busy man.  I can't be reading the questions I answer.  Good trick, you rascal.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »
The differences are small, but the Ringmaster will probably need a slight bit more leadout rake.  It's a fight between weight, speed, and line drag.  The line drag goes down a bit with speed because the Reynold's number is higher, but the effect is small.  Now if you built a Nemesis like Howard's at about 19oz.  it would need about half an inch more line rake.  Turn better at 55 mph than the Ringmaster too.
phil Cartier

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Gentlemen,

I am sure glad that issue is cleared up!!!!

Thanks,

T Michael Jennings         %^@
Knoxville, TN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here