News:

• May 14, 2024, 12:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weight boxes. Mounting?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Weight boxes. Mounting?
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:47:19 PM »
Those that are using weight boxes, are you mounting them on the CG? Or at least as close to the CG as possible?

Thanks in advance.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Weight boxes. Mounting?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »
I don't think they need to be dead on, but close is nice.  Mine usually end up in line with, or just in front of, the wing spar.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »
And try to have them more visible from the bottom than from the top.  I have installed a couple with the wing upside down.  You just have to pretend you meant to do so, and incorporate them into the color scheme.  

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »
Tim & Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

Should have said it was a Ringmaster wing, "Look Ma no spar!" Or at least none on the CG.

I placed the box as far forward as the thickness of the rib would allow. Cheated a bit because I added 3/32 strips on the top and bottom of the wing. Not so much to increase the airfoil thickness, but to clean up the ribs. Does add a little thickness.

Bar sanded a tad off this stock anyway.

Close to covering.

Couple coats of dope, some CF even over the ribs, I'm kidding!

Just the dope then covering.

I may use the Dave Brown Skyloft I have. Ancient it is but it is nylon and designed for open bays.

I have no silkspan and the local HS wants 5.00 a sheet. Someone said they were getting their silkspan out of a HS in Texas for 1.00. This was 00 silkspan.

I might start a thread and ask about that.

I also can't believe I'm painting open bays without using a flexing agent in the paint. Primer included.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here