News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:02:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weight box installation ?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Weight box installation ?
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »
Hi ,

Is there a way to install weight boxes , that doesn't include cussing and stomping of feet when th lid doesn't fit relatively flush with little or no gap around the lid perimeter ?
I always seem to get a little dope , or other stuff around the lid area and BAM ! The lid is stuck rather firmly to the box , or leading edge sheeting. Either that , or the final coats of dope stick it down tightly .
Need some input .

Thanks ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Weight box installation ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »
Rob, for one thing make sure your dope is good and dry before putting the lid on. Sand around the edges of the lid and it's surrounding area so build up dope stays at a minimum. I used Windy's version on my latest.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
Hi Lee ,

Thanks for the info .
I'm going to hve to get my nose to the grindtone and plan these "little problems" out . Plain and simple .

Thanks again ,

Rob
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
One way to do it is to use amaple block for wing bolt attachment, threaded 1/4 x 20.  Use your dremel and smoothly concave the center of the block down leaving the threads about 3/16 thick .  Now build your plywood box with the maple block as the base.  If needs be, put a piece of balsa over the maple block to give contour, but uncover the center hole.  For weight, I use steel BB's dropped in through the threaded hole.  When finished, close the hole with a piece of wing hold down bolt.  All that shows on the outside is the piece of hold down bolt.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
Rob,

I glue the box in the wingtip then remove the top and glue balsa to the top lid and sand it to contour with the airfoil and level with it.  I finish the top of the box separately and that solves the sticking problem.  I usually use a plastic film covering and just cut a little square of it and iron it to the lid of the box and then screw it on with the 4-40 bolt.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here