News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weee doggie!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Weee doggie!
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:10:59 AM »
I love building season! And because our winter is so long there is plenty of time to do it! Going to go full bore on a OS La 46 Vector 40 kit, after that a Terry Prather Fox 36 Winder. My bucket list for the future is another 1/2a Tsunami, a Big Jim ST 60 powered Strega Kit, ST 46 powered Super Chipmunk kit, and then going to go after the creme de la creme: a large fuse Al Rabe/ Bill Werwage/ Pat King type of a really scale looking Bearcat, Mustang, P47,  Critical Mass or Tsunami with a massive Ro Jett 90. How about your plan guys? Another skinny fuse pencil bomber?

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Weee doggie!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 05:49:43 AM »
Here in the South I am able to build and fly year round. Nothing on the schedule right now.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
Ty, as soon as the summer arrives, I change over to flying practice time.😁

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 08:10:56 PM »
I'm doing three planes rather simultaneously. A Jack Sheeks Beechcraft Biplane for my classic, I'm recovering my icarus and adding ignition for my OTS, and a .60 size stunter that looks a bit like a shoestring with wing gear for my PA ship.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »
 Admirable enthusiasm, but been there (done that) too. At the very most don't try to tackle any more than two build projects at the same time. Buildingwise, focus on ONE model at a time. Deviate from that and you'll find that NONE of them actually get finished in any reasonable amount of time, if at all. This is a guarantee.  n1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:49:45 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 10:52:34 PM »
I learned in that it is not a good idea for me to try to build two airplanes at the same time.  I tried it in the late 70's  when I was in the DC area.  One of them was a derivative of the Genesis.  Took longer to finish it, then lost it in its first year in a squaw line that hit with no more than 5 minutes notice.  The other airplane still exists as separate wing, fuselage and tail units.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:43:46 PM by Trostle »

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 04:35:39 AM »
The times I was successful at 2 or more simultaneous builds was:

Mathis Mongoose-- 3 at same time
Sig Twister--3
Cartier Rugged stunt trainer--3
Cartier Lil Hacker--2

Way back around 2010, I found my self with 3 builds over the short Texas winter. Hardest problem was keeping track of "what to Tackle today?" Eventually they all got to the covering stage about same time. Dope n silk was the plan. However SANDING is my very least favorite thing to do....each languished and sat for weeks with no progress

This "3 build project" took about 7 months. If I had done each in sequence, it would have been about 3 months because the models I was building could be done in about 3~5 weeks they way I usually build
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 03:19:19 PM »
I'm closer to the 3 to 5 YEAR plan, and thats using the one ship at a time method! 😄

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 03:38:29 PM »
I used to be the same way years ago to.
My shop was full of half finished airplanes. Until one day I said ' That's enough'. So I used the 'First in, first out' method, and soon had a fleet of ready to fly airplanes.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 05:35:20 PM »
Here in the South I am able to build and fly year round. Nothing on the schedule right now.

I seem to recall that you have a kit for an Albatross that you should be building.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 12:56:21 PM »
I used to fret about starting a new project when I already had one under way. Then I realized that if I was excited about the new project, and the old one felt like a chore, I should work on the new one. After all, the hobby should provide enjoyment, not feel like work that must be done. Old projects typically get revisited and finished, but a few have found new homes as well. I have built multiple combat models simultaneously, and often have more than one repair or other small project going, but seldom will I have more than one construction project in progress at any given time.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »
I completely agree with Mr. Bischoff and couldn't have said it any better--build what you feel like building in that moment! Otherwise, it's too much like a job (that you don't get paid for). It is a very wholesome philosophy!

Still, I have this one remaining question, Bill--What do I do when the house is overflowing with half-built and half repaired planes?  (And no, there isn't much chance I'll get to move into that 24,000 sq ft house on the other side of LA, if that was what you were going to suggest....)

The Divot McSlow

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:05:36 AM »
That's when you think about putting some of them up for adoption. If they're worth finishing, somebody would love to have them, perhaps more than you.  :)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 10:16:04 PM »
Admirable enthusiasm, but been there (done that) too. At the very most don't try to tackle any more than two build projects at the same time. Buildingwise, focus on ONE model at a time. Deviate from that and you'll find that NONE of them actually get finished in any reasonable amount of time, if at all. This is a guarantee.  n1
I was waiting till I finished. So, the reason I built three planes at once was I don't like getting out the compressor and spray gun. So as each one got framed I put off finishing it and started the next until I had three framed models. Then I did nothing but covering. Also, last time I painted I ended up throwing out all my dopes as they turned to jelly. Now I'm done with painting two and one is done with clear and ready for primer so I'm emptying more jars rather than tossing out. So, there's that. New classic, new pa, rebuild of my ots

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 06:49:39 AM »
There is no wrong way to enjoy a hobby. Just truly consider what is your objective. 

It ALL depends on your objective.  My objective is to build and COMPLETE attractive and competitive models that appeal to me.   

1. I build one at a time .
2. Maintenance on existing flying models supersedes new builds.
3. I keep notes on the next few build operations needed so I don’t accidentally omit a step
4. I keep a bucket list that allows me to contemplate and carefully select next project

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
I love building. Hate painting. Hate trimming but love flying a trimmed plane.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here