News:

• May 16, 2024, 08:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VICTORY GOES UNDER THE KNIFE  (Read 1380 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
VICTORY GOES UNDER THE KNIFE
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:32:18 PM »

I used 3/32 music wire for the pushrod. I used a split sleeve solder joint in the middle of the pushrod. I discovered today after gluing the hinges that there was something not right in the controls.
I got out my stethoscope and listened to the noises going on inside the plane while I worked the flaps and elevators.. All the noise was coming from that split sleeve solder joint on the pushrod. I cut out a 4" X 1" slot in the side of the fuselage to get to the solder joint.

GUESS WHAT?????

I HAD FORGOTTEN TO SOLDER IT!!!

Needless to say I was shocked. Any way I soldered it and glued the pieces back on the plane. Now sanding, filler and primer are on it and you can't see where I did the cutting.

There are blisters forming in the fillet. I did o.k. fixing them but they are coming back. I guess they need more time to gas off. SO............I'm going to take it out to fly Sunday. The fillets can wait.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: VICTORY GOES UNDER THE KNIFE
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »
Hi Frank,

Sure sorry to read about the fillet blisters.  A lot of guys have switched over to a product by Poly-fil, it is a 2-part epoxy putty called Super-fil that is used in the aircraft industry.  Randy Powell would be a good first opinion to get and also Scott Riese who put me onto it and I gotta tell you, day and a half and I got the primer on it and am going full steam.  It sands like a dream no shrinkage no praying to make it come out right.  Suggest also that you go to their website: www.polyfiber.com and check out the Super-fil yourself.  That said, get outta dat basket, pronto  f~

Marv

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:25:33 PM »
I'll confirm. I would no longer use anything else.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »
I copied the link for polyfiber. Thanks guys.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
Sorry Frank about all the problems. Modeling really requires a lot of patience at times. Two steps forward and one step back seem to be the standard procedure. Plane looks really great.

y1
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 07:36:21 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts Greg.
I learned though that you can perform surgery on a model and put it back together again in such a way as to make the repair seamless. I guess we could say that adversity does indeed give us an edge.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here