News:

• April 16, 2024, 10:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very fine ball point pen  (Read 749 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Very fine ball point pen
« on: February 16, 2023, 02:04:29 PM »
Folks:

Could someone here recommend one? Needed during construction for drawing fine lines on balsa. l’ve not had luck with Sharpies, pencils or gel pens and not enough precision with standard ball pens.

Thanks.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Very fine ball point pen
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 03:22:59 PM »
Folks:

Could someone here recommend one? Needed during construction for drawing fine lines on balsa. l’ve not had luck with Sharpies, pencils or gel pens and not enough precision with standard ball pens.

Thanks.

Dave Mo…

Dave,

Try using the ""Artist Pens" or some such things from the artist stores or Hobby Lobby.  These have a felt tip so do not necessarily leave an impression like a ball point pen.  They come in all sizes from 0.15mm and up.  These things will leave a mark that small and very clear even on music wire which is very helpful when making a precision cut or setting up on a bending fixture.  They are a worthwhile investment.

Need to take care of how the "nibs" are used.  Also, do not leave the caps off any more than needed.

Keith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 11:36:40 PM »
Moe,

When I want to use a pen, I like the "Pentel EnerGel 0.5 Needle Tip."  Works good on plywood, balsa and kind of ok making tic marks on aluminum. A fine point Sharpie is best on aluminum, but if the metal isn't clean, the fiber tip clogs up real fast....
https://www.pentel.com/products/energel-deluxe-rtx-gel-pen-1541

The rest of the time I use a Pentel mechanical pencil. I like the 0.5mm size. You can get different hardness grades for the lead which is helpful. https://www.pentel.com/collections/pencils/products/sharp-mechanical-drafting-pencil

Happy drawing!

The Divot

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:21:34 PM »
Keith and Dave

Ah, but the flood gates have opened so generously once again! And I didn’t know that about the aluminum. Thank-you both.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here