News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:07:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vertigo II Build  (Read 35967 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Vertigo II Build
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2024, 07:55:19 PM »
I drew up the original set of plans in September of 2016 for use with a Stalker .61 with a built up wing that was 60 inches.

Thanks Don, carry on!  :)

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2024, 06:20:02 AM »
Thank you Al and Wayne for the kind words.  I really got the "building bug" and I'm getting out to the shop several hours a day almost every day.  I tack glued the rear top block and got it rough sanded.  I use a lot of masking tape while sanding to protect surrounding areas.  I'll remove it and hollow it then once back in place do a final sanding.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2024, 06:09:41 AM »
Sanding complete on the rear top block.  I used a piece of 1/4 inch masking tape to keep the area for gluing the fin/rudder straight and flat.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2024, 07:20:05 AM »
The fin/rudder is complete.  I used incredibly hard 1/4 inch balsa that I thought I would never use, and sanded in an airfoil.  I don't plan on gluing it on until everything is covered with silk span.  On previous builds, I've dinged up the rudder quite a bit while flipping the plane over many times while doping, putting on silk span and sanding.  Might save a headache?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:39:00 AM by Don Jenkins »

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2024, 07:26:52 AM »
I also made up the lead outs and did a good sanding on the entire plane.  I used sheet rock joint compound to fill in all the minor dings and flaws.  It works pretty good on bare balsa, but once dope goes on I use glaze putty.  Next I'll start working on cockpit details and applying dope.  I also need to make the fillet pieces for flaps and elevators which won't get glued on until after silk span is done.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2024, 07:31:57 AM »
I installed the motor for these pics and found that I needed to sand a bit more on the inside of the top block to allow clearance for the motor.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2024, 05:59:54 AM »
I started on cockpit details.  Nothing fancy or scale-like, just a seat back, headrest and instrument panel.  The instrument panel is 1/32 inch ply and I made the 1/4 inch holes with a Dremel bit.  I'll paint it flat black and use J-Tech gages glued to the back. 

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2024, 06:01:24 AM »
I made the headrest by attaching a rounded piece of 3/8 inch balsa to a threaded Dremel bit and used it as a mini lathe against a sanding bar with 180 grit paper.  The seat back was sanded from a piece of 1/4 inch balsa.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2024, 06:04:10 AM »
After some dope, primer and sanding, each piece will be painted flat black and glued in after painting the cockpit area flat black.  I use Testor's flat spray enamel for plastic models.  It works pretty good for this purpose.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:30:52 AM by Don Jenkins »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2024, 07:40:57 AM »
After some dope, primer and sanding, each piece will be painted flat black and glued in after painting the cockpit area flat black.  I use Testor's flat enamel for plastic models.  It works pretty good for this purpose.
Don:

I ran across these looking for paints I could mix for cockpit, etc.  They are water based acrylic, cheap and come in a zillion colors.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Craft-Paint-Stencils/Acrylic-Craft-Paints/Crafter-s-Collection-Acrylic-Craft-Paint/p/533

A plane is not a plane without a cockpit !  What is cool about these colors is that they are very thick, intended for mixing.  I will be going over this color on mine with a cockpit gray then rubbing it some to give the worn look with the zinc chromate base.

I really like what you are doing, keep it up!

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2024, 08:01:05 AM »
Very nice Ken!  You have way more patients than me when it comes to the cockpit!  I have been using water based paint for my pilot, should finish him up today.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2024, 09:18:51 AM »
Don,

Appreciate your taking the time to post a very comprehensive thread.  The photos and
captions were excellent.  The workmanship and engineering were pretty darn nice as well.

Good job.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Bradenton, FL
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2024, 06:36:22 AM »
Thank you Warren, very kind of you.  Here is the paint scheme I plan on using.  I drew this up for my Dreadnought a few years back but never used it.  I will use all Randolph dope.

Offline Jeremy Chinn

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2024, 03:08:51 PM »
Great thread.

Love the finish scheme.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2024, 06:48:51 AM »
Great thread.

Love the finish scheme.

Thanks Jeremy.  How does that Brodak SV-11 fly?

Don

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2024, 06:36:38 AM »
I got my shipment of dope from Aircraft Spruce and 4 rolls of medium silk span from Easy Built Models.  While I was waiting for materials I cleaned my shop, which included painting the walls and base boards, which were covered with overspray from previous builds.  I also painted the pilot!  Now back to work on Vertigo II!

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2024, 06:48:20 AM »
I brushed 3 coats of non-tautening butyrate clear (thinned 50%) on the plane and all parts.  I also sanded lightly between each coat with 320 grit paper.  Now the fun starts with applying silk span.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2024, 06:40:10 AM »
Applied silk span to some parts by wetting with a spray bottle, lay it on the part and brush on dope.  Then rub with finger to get good adhesion.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2024, 06:42:37 AM »
Sanded the edges to remove the excess silk span with 320 grit paper and then brushed on another coat of clear.  I'll put on a total of 3 coats of 50% thinned clear before spraying with primer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 07:10:16 AM by Don Jenkins »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here