News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanding a taper in flaps, stab ect  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Horby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sanding a taper in flaps, stab ect
« on: November 16, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
Just a quick question, what is the ratio (using different rods) to sand a stab or flap to the correct taper?
For example, a 1/2" TE and a 1/4 LE, so what size of rods would I use?

Cheers.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sanding a taper in flaps, stab ect
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »
If I understand your question correctly....you are making flaps and:

1. You want approximately 1/2" thickness at the LE of the flap, and 1/4" thickness at the TE when you are all done
2. You want a symmetric airfoil, and symmetric flaps
3. There is no spanwise change in thickness of the flap LE and TE
4. Then you need a 1/2" guide at the LE at all times while shaping. This can be the traditional piece of drill rod or music wire
5. When you do the first side of the flap, you want a 3/8" guide of music wire or drill rod along the TE
6. When you do the second side of the flap, you want a 1/4" guide of music wire or drill rod along the TE

The Divot

Offline Horby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »
Yup that's what I was wondering but not for a flap, for my stab.

Cheers

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
Horby,

Have you ever put a strip of masking tape in an area you don't want sanded?

Before I start sanding that stab, flap or elevator, I would draw an accurate center line on all sides.

I cannot speak for others, but I use these center lines all the time, including the wings and a length of tape. Other modelers may do something else?

My builds, some of which are over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner and spread around the Build Forum, shows the use of the center line and tape sanding these pieces.

Good luck,

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
Orbs,

Ok, now that we have a better idea of what you are up to....

Using the guides, whether rods or strips, allows you a calibrated way to just blast away with the sanding block. That can be a good thing. Geeterdun! But there are some subtleties that you may want to understand....if I have my brain turned on?

First, the simplest case is if the surface is constant chord, then there is no twist in the resulting sanded surface. Think of the classic strip ailerons. No twist.  I haven't seen many (any?) flaps like that on control line models. If the flap (or elevator) has a tapered planform, and if it has constant thickness as you specified, then you are sanding a twist into the surface. This is ok as long as you do exactly the same to the opposite side. It may help to think of this by looking at the end of the part. The angle you need on the surface at the large-chord end is shallow. The angle you need at the short-chord end is steeper. That means that the surface is not planer. For a nearly constant chord over a long surface like a flap, you may not notice if you don't specifically look for it. And, when you go to lay the flap down to sand the second side, you are pressing down on the part with the sanding block and it deflects and you sand down to the new set of guides. It springs back when you release the pressure and after you are done, you have a symmetric tapered surface. Just the way you wanted it.

As you can imagine, if the taper in planform becomes more exaggerated, perhaps like an elevator, this effect becomes more noticeable. As the surface construction becomes more rigid, the more you will see the rocking tendency when you try to sand the second side. But now you know what it is. If the construction was so rigid that the surface does not deflect and make contact with the workbench under the pressure of the sanding block, then the part will not come out symmetric.

If you forgo the guides and want to do this freehand with a block, then marking centerlines can work well. It takes more finesse, and you also have to remember to sand chordwise--not spanwise with a long block--if you have much of a twist. In other words, if you have a lot of planform taper and a large percentage of thickness change. I use this method all the time. It is especially helpful on surfaces that I sand down to a very thin edge.

Things get more interesting if you also taper the thickness of the surface. For example, you can design the part so that the thickness taper and the planform taper allow the actual surfaces to remain flat. This is very useful when building full-scale airplanes. On models, which can be hand-built and don't require a lot in terms of fixtures it isn't so important.

Hope this helps,

Divot McSlow

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:25:06 PM »
Hey Warren.  Sanding taper into flaps or elevators can be problematic.  First I will just state that if your flaps  and elevators have a constant chord their entire length it is possible to sand them with a correct taper using different diameter steel or aluminum rods.  If they are tapered in chord the first surface can be sanded correctly but the other side cannot.  Sanding the second side on a flat building surface will induce a slight amount of twist  into the flap or elevator due to the difference in chord length.  For the average flyer the amount of twist is negligible,  so for you, just sand away.
Example:  Elevator is 3/8" thick stock.  Centerline is  3/16". Choose how thick you want the T.E. to be. Let's say 1/16". Put a 3/8" rod on the bench and secure it to your flat building board.  For the first side secure a rod that is 7/32" in diameter along the T.E. of the blank.  A sanding block that will span the twe rods is then used to bring the taper to the first side.  Now rempve the T.E. rod, flip the blank and now attach a 1/16" rod and sand away again.  Doing this will yield a 3/8" L.E. and a 1/16" T.E.

Offline big ron

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
John Blanchard
Brusly, Louisiana
 AMA 1054488

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »

First, I am not sure why you would want a solid “tapered flap” (a flat flap is fine to make out of sheet) when you could just as easily if not more easily make a built up one. It will be lighter, (lower moment) and just as stiff if not more so than a solid flap.

There is no question, a flap built without the aid of a jig/mold will not have its center line in the proper position over its entire length.

If you want to build a truly accurate flap (regardless of construction type) you need to use a mold like the one shown below. This mold is for the SkyWriter flap which is built up but you could use it (adjusting the technique) to make a solid flap or open frame type flap just as well. (Though I do not recommend it - You will smile when try this - Another thing learned from some old Chinese man  :-)

The base is non-critical but you need one since the actual mold piece is too flimsy to last very long by itself. The mold is the exact shape of the flap and the trailing edge height is the half-height of the flap center line less the thickness of the sheeting. The leading edge height is obviously zero. By using a black magic marker on the leading edge of the base, you have an easy reference for when you have planed and sanded down to the correct level.

For a built up flap, the bottom piece of sheeting is pinned to the mold and the leading edge (1/8 or 5/32) is bevelled to rest vertically on the leading edge of the sheet. (use a square) The height of the leading edge at this point is not important. Now install your flap ribs in any manner that you wish. They do not need to be shaped, just taller than the finished square dimension required at the leading edge. Once the flap ribs are in place glue in your flap hinge blocks. Now stack some balsa sheeting to get the correct height for your steel rods at the leading and trailing edges. (the diameter of the rods is not important, just the finished stack height) Now carefully sand the ribs as with the "regular rod method". (note that you are only sanding one side!)Add a slightly oversized top sheet, let dry, remove from the board, trim and sand. Voila! et Voici!, an absolutely true flap. I have built all of my flaps this way for the last twenty eight years.

Note: never use white glue to build any part of a flap.

As to how to build a fully tapering (i.e. different leading edge taper, different trailing edge taper, plan form taper, fully airfoiled stab, you must use a rod jig like the one shown below. Built just like a wing. Can be sheeted on the top side before removing from the jig. Yields a very straight airfoiled stab.

Hope this helps.
Kim.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:20:11 PM by Kim Doherty »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 03:35:45 AM »

Or #*!>< There appears to be a bit of repeat in here . Its Late & doing it in sections . Might tryn edit later. But youll need to read it more than once anyway,
So might be more sense to leave it .
Or " How i walked barefoot  across the Antarctic barefoot in the bush fire season "
SIX Mugs off Coffe should see you through it .  Excuse typeing . This key boadrs not to hot .
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If making from flat sheet , theres a lot of sanding blocks , the odd one  l o ng .  flat surfaces . And C O A R S E sandpaper toRough Out .
and some days a razor plane , or small wood plane is ratherusefull .

First step,get the blank true on the new cut edge !

Then maybe square off the ends .

Pays to leave the hinge line side ( EDGE ) maybe 1/16 in. + past the ' Finished Size ' .

#*!><

If making from flat sheet , theres a lot of sanding blocks , the odd one  l o ng .  flat surfaces . And C O A R S E sandpaper toRough Out .
and some days a razor plane , or small wood plane is ratherusefull .

First step,get the blank true on the new cut edge !

Then maybe square off the ends .

Pays to leave the hinge line side ( EDGE ) maybe 1/16 in. + past the ' Finished Size ' .

Now for the Highly Technical  Bit .    VD~ You want Hex Stick parrallel one , not a fancy curved tube one, or therell be TROUBLE .  ;D

Get your cleared clean flat suface, lay on the BLACK pen . This is very serious . Run the Flap right aroud the stationary pen .
you may need to pickit up & shake it . Or rub the dust of the tip. Occasionally .

Now turn the flap over and repeat .

Pick the flapup . Observe TWO parrallel lines , ' X ' mm / inch Apart . !
Adjust the Eagle Eye , get your clean ruler, so you can read it .
Say the magic dimenson , between the two lines , is 1/8 inch .
Halve it.
Pickup your longish piece of 1/16 in. Scrap . Lay it under thepen. Again Hold Firly. As you were before !
But , while no ones looking , youve changed to a RED pen !
Run the shhet as before, right around . Flip & repeat !.

Theres a highly vivid centerline spliting two dark datum lines , around the whole confabultion. Now . Far Out .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we've Not Beveled The Front , Hinge edge Yet , Or even Shaped It, or dressed to the finished line . Till LAST >

THOUGH its a good idea to mark out the Hinge & Horn - Horn Arm locations . NOW . Not Possesing a hinge cutting tool,
I start with the Scalple , and steel rule , or maybe flat with a half depthpacker ( say 1/4 Sq Spruce ) & Scrible the Hinge positions say 1/8 deep ,
both ways ( soendsare knifed square .) Maybe from both sides up if on the bench , flat , with the packer .
And same C Lof horn & ( 1/8 " ) edges , only 1/16 or so deep .

A piece of wire , end cut & filed in  vice way past 45 degrees , makes a good ' router ' fot the horn wire groove . And flap hinge rebates,
Shallow cut & reverse to compact timber . Later dope & repeats to fine tune exact fit. Easiest between knees With steel rule ( and THOSE INK LINES for guides for center & edges . :P
A six inch LONG 1/8 drill used - for sighting purposes - drilling for flap horn wire legs .
With 1/4 sheet flaps , a few inches along the flap means its got less flap to move ( and less flap to flex ) outboard . Tho needs wire epoxying
tonner edge . sanded & cleaned in solvent . :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you still need to do ALL THAT even f your useing FLAT non airfoiled flaps . ! VD~ LL~ LL~ S?P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USUALLY I then mark it at 50 % chord .
And plane / block sand , and faff about .
With Yellow 60 Wt & later 80 Wt sandpaper .
As it takes it down quick ands less lableto warp things - Like polishing & heating you get with fine paper for major material Removal . !

SO , The Rear Half is now symetrically ' V'eed ,Dressed with nce new black paper on a nice straight ( 1 1/2 x 3/4 or whadeva ) stick,
a foot or two long . or bigger . But Eyballed Dead Straight . with No Lumps . And your fingernals Trimmed .
And HIDE those Glass Ball Head Pins !

Or that Pen Line couldvre been 2/3 Forward ! NEXT we put another spanwise line at mid pointof our fresh sanded surface ,
and another at around 1/2 inch or 3/4 back from the LEADING EDGE . And wipe the dust off. And get out the MASKING TAPE.
or that blue 3M stuff .

=========================================================================================

No WhereWere We ?
Mask the Leding Edge Flanks .say 3/8minimum.3/4 for wider flaps . Or youll be udersized at the L E like when you dont use a ticker wire rod at the front .With a 45 degre Bevel. Like the Elevator . SO if your 1/4 ickbakfromtheFRONTof the taper (if it goes right forward . Youlllosse dpth when you bevel it ! ! !
Later .

If you inevitablychew a piecce of the tape. Patch It .Imediately .

Now Block sand your ' front; taper , Sowe've got a Even Dual FlankEach/ Both Sides . For A AIRFOILED Flap .

It Dresses in with minimal bother - with even strokes & pressure . Flipping and conting at Each six or twekve to eliminate warping & bowing .
Dont Lean on it to much , fresh Paper cuts Easy o youll need a few sheets , Say 100 grey & 180 Black .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last ones I Did , the Halibag ,took from5 till 12 , when I put dinner on !.

I did them Flat Flank ( No Curve ) Flaps & Elevators. and Thought %#@* etc . . . Put 3 mm Sq Bass down the rear edges .
Block Saned ( Coarse ) down till i caught the front edge of the anti ding strip( bass )  with the 100 wt grey ,
With the little 3 x6 x 5/8 dressed block and 3 in skirting ? x 12 in , radiused one side edges , half depth . Other side edges sharp.
On the Sanding Block strip . and Dressed with the 180, 2sheets long cut & glued wrapped three sides of it . Aliphatic . 1/2 Hr in current heats fine.

So thats that Done . The TAIL PLANE ( And parrallel chord elevators ) wereMore Tecnical.

Percentage Lines Eqal Ea Side L & R . Top & Bottom . AFTER going from5/8 Center to 1/2 tips , marked after the aforesaid parrallel pen lines !
With the sraight edge. To get a Taper Line F & R, Equal & even .

To Get My ' 5/8 in. Blank ' a eqal 1/2 at the tips think tapered blank . :P

Now for the Highly Technical  Bit .    VD~ You want Hex Stick parrallel one , not a fancy curved tube one, or therell be TROUBLE .  ;D

Get your cleared clean flat suface, lay on the BLACK pen . This is very serious . Run the Flap right aroud the stationary pen .
you may need to pickit up & shake it . Or rub the dust of the tip. Occasionally .

Now turn the flap over and repeat .

Pick the flapup . Observe TWO parrallel lines , ' X ' mm / inch Apart . !
Adjust the Eagle Eye , get your clean ruler, so you can read it .
Say the magic dimenson , between the two lines , is 1/8 inch .
Halve it.
Pickup your longish piece of 1/16 in. Scrap . Lay it under thepen. Again Hold Firly. As you were before !
But , while no ones looking , youve changed to a RED pen !
Run the shhet as before, right around . Flip & repeat !.

Theres a highly vivid centerline spliting two dark datum lines , around the whole confabultion. Now . Far Out .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we've Not Beveled The Front , Hinge edge Yet , Or even Shaped It, or dressed to the finished line . Till LAST >

THOUGH its a good idea to mark out the Hinge & Horn - Horn Arm locations . NOW . Not Possesing a hinge cutting tool,
I start with the Scalple , and steel rule , or maybe flat with a half depthpacker ( say 1/4 Sq Spruce ) & Scrible the Hinge positions say 1/8 deep ,
both ways ( soendsare knifed square .) Maybe from both sides up if on the bench , flat , with the packer .
And same C Lof horn & ( 1/8 " ) edges , only 1/16 or so deep .

A piece of wire , end cut & filed in  vice way past 45 degrees , makes a good ' router ' fot the horn wire groove . And flap hinge rebates,
Shallow cut & reverse to compact timber . Later dope & repeats to fine tune exact fit. Easiest between knees With steel rule ( and THOSE INK LINES for guides for center & edges . :P
A six inch LONG 1/8 drill used - for sighting purposes - drilling for flap horn wire legs .
With 1/4 sheet flaps , a few inches along the flap means its got less flap to move ( and less flap to flex ) outboard . Tho needs wire epoxying
tonner edge . sanded & cleaned in solvent . :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you still need to do ALL THAT even f your useing FLAT non airfoiled flaps . ! VD~ LL~ LL~ S?P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USUALLY I then mark it at 50 % chord .
And plane / block sand , and faff about .
With Yellow 60 Wt & later 80 Wt sandpaper .
As it takes it down quick ands less lableto warp things - Like polishing & heating you get with fine paper for major material Removal . !

SO , The Rear Half is now symetrically ' V'eed ,Dressed with nce new black paper on a nice straight ( 1 1/2 x 3/4 or whadeva ) stick,
a foot or two long . or bigger . But Eyballed Dead Straight . with No Lumps . And your fingernals Trimmed .
And HIDE those Glass Ball Head Pins !

Or that Pen Line couldvre been 2/3 Forward ! NEXT we put another spanwise line at mid pointof our fresh sanded surface ,
and another at around 1/2 inch or 3/4 back from the LEADING EDGE . And wipe the dust off. And get out the MASKING TAPE.
or that blue 3M stuff .

So thats that Done . The TAIL PLANE ( And parrallel chord elevators ) wereMore Tecnical.

Percentage Lines Eqal Ea Side L & R . Top & Bottom . AFTER going from5/8 Center to 1/2 tips , marked after the aforesaid parrallel pen lines !
With the sraight edge. To get a Taper Line F & R, Equal & even .

To Get My ' 5/8 in. Blank ' a eqal 1/2 at the tips think tapered blank . :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:47:51 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 04:05:50 AM »
I had to read Kim's description twice to get what he was  doing, but Matt's description makes my head hurt.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 04:14:06 AM »
I had to read Kim's description twice to get what he was  doing, but Matt's description makes my head hurt.

MineToo . LL~ and Im just starting toget technical , at the current point . >:D :'( Id wondered why the head aches were  killing me !
This keyboards not even pressure on the keys . Will edit in a few days. When Ive Recovered .  S?P

The " Tapered Thickness Stab ( & Elevators )

likely needs to be digested in chunks , washed down liberally. With the occasional Deep Breath .

The last lot done was a non stop saga , ThoI take the odd break for coffe & a few paragraphs of a unredable book ,
to clear the thoughts for the next step .

Its all Logic ! Best STEP by STEP .Taking it allin atonce overwhelms & puts youoff . So you need the odd ' clear the head ' break .
This had Four Flaps , Joiners , Fairers, and Multi Taper rear . SoI thought id get it down , while still fresh in the grey matter .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:24:36 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 04:42:35 AM »
The Empenage Saga .( And He Didnt Even USE Wires . So What the #@!*'s it doing On Here !

Well , I did use HARDWOOD on the Trailing Edge . ACTUALLY , cleaning the WIRES & superglueing ThemOn till shaped might make life easier ,

USING WIRE RODS .

IF your TAILPLANE isod non uniformthickness , and HIGH POINTof sectionis NOT at The Hinge -Here we Go . . .

We've marked the taper , front and back . same. for a PARRALLEL taper. with the ENDS of the 5/8 blankmarked 1/16th IN for the 1/2  tip depth .

Whipped a few shaves , with the T T Razor Plane . Which is now after six months practise alost useable . The Antique Aluminum ' ZIP'
wasa fine tuneable precision instrument . THIS T T Nylon one is only used judiciously ,staying well back from he final ' flank ' we're after.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So weve chopped a bit more off aswe go out , only 3 - 6 cuts , of the ' correct ' lightening pressure . a good sharp Wood Plane is superior .

Got the 60 Wt onthe 4 x 3/4 x 10 Ex Deck Board sanding Block ,Knock off the lumps , come in toward the' pen line 'edges.
Get the 80 & flat off closer . Throw a clean sheet of 80 on the bench, and glide the tail plane- on the flat plate-paper .

Eyeballing the edges in even , keeping flat - dressing to a tapered thickness blank . Thats already the true OUTLINE .

Flip & kick throughin about three steps Each Panel , Left top then bottom . Repeat  R & L so as to keep sides matched .

Out with the Virneer and spot checks , 1/4 , 1/2 , 3/4 span , ea side station to staion , front & back .
( Surpriseing how close the go , but avoids the odd hollow or lump. Dress with the stick & fresh 180 Wt . For A TRUE tapered starting point !  n~

Coffe Time .

We get say a 1 in aft line at c l , 3/4 at tip ( I used percentages ( 20 ?  and millimeters , as they divede easy. If youre still awake :-X)

Cut a L E Taper.

Marked half back that .
Picked my Max Thickness line & marked that( Red to diferentiate and avoid confusion )  you occsionally slightly trasnsgess a line with the sanding block.
Pens handy to reinstate . A GOOD CLEAN Steel rule held along periodically ,
Top & Bottom - side toside- so as you dont get hollows or lumps. Address as sighted.

Marked the FINSHED THICKNESS Along the Back edge - of the Tail plane .

Shaved the second front cut (s ) AND the light rear flank cut -with the Razor Plane .

Knocked em in flat& close , Coarse then less coarse . Id marked the Angled Cuts on the ENDS too. ( and earlyer the same on the flaps)

Id dressed theElelvators from 12 center to 3/8 tips. Shaved blocked etc . But not to final fined of lines .

Tack Glued the Elevators to the Tailplane, aligned , pinned , rubber banded , with cardboard protectors from crush.
And thought three arms & hands'd be handysh. Or Four .

And had another coffe & read a few pages while dark thoughts, pessimism & gloom were stood off .
Appaling book. and with the temperature ( Bush Fire Season ) 20 minutes was o.k with care to deband & Clear deck .And Remove pins WELL CLEAR .

Flanked off in even - insteps. Sequentially  about the assembly ( id left the Center Flap & Elevators Both as ONE LENGTH at this stage-

only split after dressed in to desired accuracy . So sit 1/4 in + further out fitted than when final shaped. At that stage .No Worries. deliberate even . )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:01:32 AM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 05:44:55 AM »
BAHH . see footnote .

Wasntlooking to bad at this stage , was starting to cool off .

Id Used a styreene  green grocers offcast box , on the bench , to lift the job 12or 18 inches depending on its sit .
And on end it matched bench hight on the floor . So sat things on it when useng the ' plate glass ' cleaned . For Finaler dressing .

Sanding Blocks along the Span kockof the crests for a few strokes , eyeballing ,keeping matched .
Going Finer and pushing thru acroos half chord, Dressing In Elevators Fairing Though .
( The Odious Dungeon contemplation turned to be oversted. the faied in nicely in a few miutes .0

The 180 ( Fresh ) on a longer block had it honed & finalisedwith minimal concern ,
Turned to a 45 degree cut ( pencilmarked 50 % so 2 mm in ) on the 3/16 deep L E ' flat ' & aft .
Carefully past 12 now & tired . Round Off true & fair in & through ,
Bring trailing edge ( Elevators )dressed fine through acoss tapering the 3 mm Sq hardwood soleft at 2 mmodd or a thick 1/16 fully aft .
A pen along the edge ( back face ) while its still full square , and 100 Wt till the lines disappeared even , eyeballing & attending as you go .
This is where its handy having the Styrene bench near eye level. minimum Bending and rotateing , and me shifting for optimum light.
Sighting along and across .
Seperating intostages.
Checking and a breather .
grabbing the old virneer & locking - drawing along edges to see it maintains a consistant line. Will transverse inor out on a taper- But Still straight .

Lets you avoid propigateing hollows and avoiding lumps  .
the sight , light, and shadow , specially allong , and even shadeing rotateing , seem to keepit  pretty correct .

Where theres golden bits and dark bits in the timberswhere it seems tooptically trickyou , & the Straight Edge along it, with the lamp behind,
eyeing the edge against the wood shows slight discreapancies along / underit  ( THIS KEYBOARDS A BIT NOTEVEN PRESSURE _ LIGHT ! )

================================================================================================

So a final sigh ,coffe , breather tidy , reprepare& clean & dust- discard bluntened paper .
Give the timber a bit of time to resettle  .
FinAL DRESS  OFF WITH 180 , Throw a coat of dope. Coffe & read/ still Warm . Dress in & ANOTHER COAT.

mINMAL ATTNTION TO COOKING * THE BOLED SPUD SLICES THEN STeak brown nicely , with a vigouous apptite .
final Eyeball under the light.
Stinking Hot next day . Chores ! Pinem together & catch last light . 8 pm . for a few pictures .Sorry. almost photoed as I went ,but'd thought memory full.

====================================================

Summary.Soit pays to accurately mark tapers/ cuts/ flanks, at the ends . as you go .
The Elevator C L cut was acurately instated and keept ongoing , as we went. full circumferance of chord.
They need reestablishing before fully faded / eradicated . Tomaintain exactitude .

60 Wt 7 even 40 wt make short work of materal removal.

Cut the paper with a ) ktchen )knfe along a straight edge.
Roll & start creases . But use a hard edge acurately poitiond , to CREASE .

At times you want the paper to end EXACTLY along the seond edge/ fold, so you can workinto a corner .

Left the front ( hinge ) edges 1/16 deep . NOT a dead 90 degree sq cnr . Two 45 deg. flanks on a 1/16 vetical. Later radiused tomatch hinge barrell.

Even need to store carefully . Against a outside ( tin ) wall as ts cooling can induce humidity related twists. so sit em vertical between Coffe Jars .

The Flors needed ' Sorting 'for a few weeks after the new bench . The Compressor'll now fit under it .
Wonder I didnt trip, break a leg ,of snap / smash someting  . Only started to 6 or 7 times .  :-X LL~

Callt a Challenge . Say in4 stages , corrected / trued at each ,keepsthem true & matched .And the stars look good whenyou stepout for a breather,
after the smokes cleared as the nightcoolsoff .

Might edit the obvious typos in a day or so . Addressany complaints tothe management .

FORGOT to Mention the 12 inch B'std FILE , getting a bit old & blunt . But drag the edge along transversing gets a 45 Deg. ' Cross Hatch '
Going Lightly . that sorta ' proves out ' the Level . Or Highlights bumps . The 40 Wt. paper beats a Rasp . 60s less agressive .But quick .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:22:37 PM by Air Ministry . »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here