News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twister kit question  (Read 26313 times)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Twister kit question
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
Most computers have editing software for pictures. Try right clicking the picture on your computer. Then "resize" 
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
I am on my iPhone. We do have a lap top but for whatever reason it does not recognize my log in here, so I just use my phone. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
On my Android, there is a setting in the camera app that allows you to take smaller picture files. Default is the largest files with the most details. On your IPhone, I will bet it is very similar, there is a setting that you could adjust.
Another way I can do it after the pic is taken, is by emailing the picture to myself.
When I attach the picture attachment to the email, it will ask me if I want it full sized, 70%, 30% or 10% size.
If the original file is large, like 4-5MB, I go with the 10%. If it's 2MB or less, the 30% usually makes it small enough to post here.

Another factor that many people don't realize is the background has a huge effect on the files size. If you are doing a build log, check out the difference between placing the subject of the photo on a piece of white poster board, vs. putting it on a textured background, such as a piece of fabric.... The difference in file size at the exact same range is very noticeable.
Don't even get me started on pics of planes on grass. That's the worst.

I also avoid quoting other people's posts and adding their pictures a second time. Uses up Sparky's bandwidth needlessly....

Hope this helps you post the pics, Tim. I love seeing pics and it can be very helpful for allowing others to chime in if they see something that could land you in trouble later, helping you out.
Looking forward to your Twister maiden flight!

R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
Thanks. Chris for the info and I will try to post some pics as I go along. I have viewed others posts on builds which have helped me greatly and hope I can do the same. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »
Test
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »
Bravo, Tim  !
Now we're talking.
Good luck with the rest of the build!
Kind Regards,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Lookin good man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
Thanks guys! I am glad I can now post pics. I am waiting for the weight box and adjustable lead guide to come in to continue the build. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline jim ballard

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »
Looking good Tim!
Tempting fate and gravity one more time....

Jim Ballard
Blackwell, TX
AMA 62811

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »
Question
The instructions are vague about installation of the Bellcrank assembly. It looks like the bellcrank is bolted to a piece of balsa? And is glued to two strips of wood on each side of the ribs. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks, Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2017, 05:31:00 AM »
Suspendin bellcrank is the way to go!

Mike griffin had a video on youtube that gives a rundown on how to make it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2017, 06:19:02 AM »
Thanks, James, looking for the video now. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »
Question
The instructions are vague about installation of the Bellcrank assembly. It looks like the bellcrank is bolted to a piece of balsa? And is glued to two strips of wood on each side of the ribs. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks, Tim

Study the plan closely again. The bell crank is bolted to a piece of plywood, and is then glued to two square strips of balsa that are glued to the two center ribs. It is quite strong enough if done correctly. The balsa strips run from front to back. I think there is a sketch of their position on each rib. With C/A glue you can just tack them in place, bolt the bell crank to the plywood base and test fit. Get lead outs made up and installed also.  Search on here on how to use the copper tube method of bushing the lead outs. And don't forget to do the flap push rod. That can all get installed right before the center section sheeting is put on.  Read the instruction through, and do the steps in your mind so it makes sense.
    Off to the flying field!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 08:51:22 PM »
Wing is starting to take shape! The plans call for a no 39 or 40 drill bit to enlarge some of the holes on the bellcrank, is there a standard size drill bit that will work or do I need to purchase a no 39? Thanks, Tim

Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »
A #39 drill is.0995". The closest common size is 3/32", which is a fuzz smaller at .0938". The difference is less than 6 thousandths of an inch. Try 3/32, and if the pushrod is not snug in the hole, you're OK. You DO NOT want any excess slop, however, so don't be tempted to go to 7/64, the next biggest common fractional size.

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
Thanks. I may do a test drill in wood to check fit. If not, will check hobby store. I just don’t want to buy a set for one bit to drill one hole in the bellcrank if you know what I mean. Lol. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »

Tim, I have  set of those drills, just come by when you are ready to use them..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
Awesome Gill! I was going to call you later to see if you had one. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Gill, what was the measurement for the bellcrank? Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:08 PM »
Tim.... no way do I recommend this for precision hole drilling ----but for most "wood" projects the $59 HF drill set is not too bad...It covers a full spectrum of alpha, numbered, and Inch drill sizes.....but they ARE low quality and IMO NOT for precision hole boring

I also highly recommend you study to normal drilling needs and find a ACE hardware that carries a LARGE variety...specifically the Brad Point drills and IF they have the 6" or 8" long ones even better... usually Irvin brand... usually pretty strait and not very expensive

Also just a a hint... taking the Bell Crank Pivot music wire... lets say 1/8h as an example... and chucking it up in the drill....will bore/burnish...the correct size hole

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2017, 02:45:25 AM »
Thanks Fredvon4 for the info. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
 Tim, if you are referring  to the  flap push rod location, it is 7/16" out from the B/C post
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »
How do you install the flap push rod into the bellcrank? Does it push in from the top or from underneath the bellcrank? I have searched and can not find any pics and the plans do not say. Also one end of the flap push rod is slightly bent out. I want to make sure before I center sheet it. Thanks, Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Normal old school flap pushrods have a "Z bend" and yes it goes in from the top then.
If it has an "L bend" then it goes in from the bottom. and is trapped by the platform it is on.

New school is a ball link, with the ball bolted into the top of the bellcrank, and a washer above the yoke that rides the ball (so that there is now way it can come off ever.)

Make sure there is no binding, whatever you do, and account for the up angle to the flap horn.

Kind Regards,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »
Tim please re-look the twister plans...this is tough for a first time ever build but when looking at the assemblies and the plans some things just become obvious...in this case the lower side view has the wing, bell crank, flap horn (on top) and connections to the elevator

If using a Zee Bend...not easy for 3/23 push rod IMO....Going in on the BC from the top gives a better straight shot to the flap horn... installing from the bottom up will also work but needs a slightly different bend to the push rod and the need to put the rod on before bolting but the BC

Then there is the option of wheel collars or soldered washers...on only one 90 degree bend.....each with a plus or minus and new skill set

Nothing wrong with the stock controls ---and I recommend you do one or more by the PLAN method ---if for no other reason to understand the complexity of adjusting

That said a flapped plane needs some good method to adjustment for trimming reasons...  fixed 90 and Zee bend music wire is not too easy to adjust once set.... There are ways...all a royal PITA IMO....Please read a re-read about setting the controls and THEN final gluing the stab to determine the neutral of the Flaps and the elevator

SO I recommend AS you learn and build this one... search and read the hundreds of builds with all the various adjustable controls and ways to cobble your own preference or pay some one like Tom Morris a small amount to send you a custom system

This all was dumb to me when I did first twister from KIT...but I had done at least one ARF with flaps so had some small clue

I decided to do Bell crank, push wire to flaps, perfectly neutral..... 3/32 wire is hard for me to get perfectly made bends... fortunately I had NOT glued in the BC platform... too easy ....take any of my wire bend attempts... connect to flaps, lock them to neutral---- move BC ply fore or aft to center BC...mark, glue.....there is a hint here but I am old and forget what it is...

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies! BC platform was glued into place like the plans showed as I am trying to build pretty much a stock Twister for my first build. I am planning on using the stock pushrods also. Right now, Bootlegger and I have the flap push rod with the 90 degree bend on top of the BC secured with a collar underneath. The part that goes into the flap control horn looks like the bend is slightly less than 90 degrees. Does this sound about right? Thanks, Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »
I too use the L bend for pushrods.  But I also put ply plates top and bottom so pushrod will not leave the bell crank.  I've lost one plane using the wheel collar method.  Even had a notch for the set screw.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
   I solder a washer on the push rod with a single L bend. When I am doing final set up on the controls, I use a set collar on the other side so I can get as real  condition as I can, but still be able to take it apart. When I am finally satisfied with the installation, I put the wheel collar back one for one final check out, then just solder the wheel color to the music wire. On some I have done, I didn't solder it but replaced the grub screw with a regular bolt for extra torque and used lock tight or super glue to secure the set screw. Never had a problem with either method and both allow you to get the best fit while installing and allow to dis-assemble if need be along the way,or even later on after a crash and repairs are needed.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »
Tim (or any of the other brethren at hand):

I inherited a kit-built Twister, but it needs some work. Externally, the leadouts were finished via a questionable solder job. Not sure about their internal attachment to the bell crank, but likely soldered as well. When operated, the leadouts drag and bind up a bit. So, it looks like I'll have to tear into the plane and see what's going on. Not something to look forwards to.

My question: Can you tell me the location of the BC? Basically, I'd prefer to remove the sheeting on only one side of the wing, so the question is whether it'd the inboard or the outboard section.

Not related comment: Good discussion above on the adjustable leadouts. I'll likely modify this bird accordingly.

Thanks!

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
Jim, how is your Twister coming along? Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
The BC is accessed from the top center panel portside. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
Dave-
If the back line pulls for up, the bellcrank is installed normally. If the front line pulls for up, the pushrod is inboard of the pivot.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »
Three quick responses - Motorman, Tim and Chris - you're all the best!  I've got a normal installation, so will commence with the task at hand.

Thanks.

Dave...

Offline jim ballard

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
Jim, how is your Twister coming along? Tim

Tim, I'm still about where I was on the build. Haven't had much time to work on it since before Thanksgiving. Hoping to get more done in the next week.
Tempting fate and gravity one more time....

Jim Ballard
Blackwell, TX
AMA 62811

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Good to hear from you Jim. I am thinking about using Titebond, instead of epoxy, to glue the doublers and hardwood engine beams together. Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to drill the holes into the elevator and flaps for the wire spanner?  Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:32 PM »
You can strap it to a squared up 2x4 and use a drill press....
It doesn't hurt to add a triangle of 1/64" ply over the balsa where the wire is under it also.
Putting some thin CA in the (loose) hole to make the balsa more solid and letting it cure before the wire goes in isn't a bad idea either.

Most of the above applies more to the flaps, because you may have to "tweak them" to adjust for the wings to be level upright and inverted....
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
Take it from experience, don't use Tite Bond or white glue for motor mount beams or ply doublers. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »

Tim, I have to agree with Doc about using titebond on motor mounts and doublers, use 30 minuet or longer for these parts, it will be much better..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »
Thanks Gil and Doc. Gil, How doni mount the alum engine mounts that you gave me? Do I recess them into the wooden beams or just bolt them on? I am on call all weekend but want to start on the fuselage. Thanks for your help last weekend. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:04 PM »
Don't want to step on Gil's toes, but if you look close you will see how I use my metal plates.   

If you open the link below the picture you can enlarge it to see what I am talking about.   This also sets the engine out board a little more. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:21 PM »
My rehab of the inherited Twister continues. I got the bell crank out after some major surgery (not pretty).  Question regarding the lead-out wires: the wire used is .054", and this seems like overkill.  What do the brethren here think? Am considering .027".

Tim: my apologies for hijacking your thread!

Dave Mo...

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
Yes, way overkill. .027" is the correct stuff.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2017, 02:42:54 AM »
No problem Dave. We are all trying to get our Twisters built or rebuilt so we can fly them. I am glad this thread is helping you. I should be able to start back on mine today after I finish with call. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
I worked on the bellcrank and flap push rod today. I think I had the bends reversed. One bend was not quite 90 degrees and I think that one went to the bellcrank and the 90 degree bend went to the control horn. I feel this is correct but if anyone knows for sure, I am all ears. The wing and flaps are slotted for the hinges and the control horn location verified. I am thinking about adding 1/32” plywood at the flap/ elevator control horn locations to beef it up. Opinions would be appreciated on that. Actually opinions and advice would be appreciated on any part of this build! Anyway, I have started the fuselage assembly. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »
I feel this is correct but if anyone knows for sure, I am all ears. The wing and flaps are slotted for the hinges and the control horn location verified.

As long as the control system is freely moving and won't break, it is correct.  The rest is just details.

Your method of gluing up the fuselage is just fine, but if you want to be super picky, use my favorite relativistic clamping system, which uses the very curvature of space-time itself to hold the parts together (there really is a fuselage under all that junk, and it's even sorta-kinda a Fancherized Twister).  Make sure that the bottom side of the clamp is the flattest board you can find (using something flat for the top won't hurt, either):

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »
I like your style of clamping! ;) Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
Tim:

The Twister's pushrod I'm working on has the same "feature" ( a bend greater than 90-degrees).  Because my goal is to reduce control system friction, I'll bend it to a 90. Probably won't make much difference either way, though.

Dave...

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
I recess my aluminum engine mount pads into the plywood nose doubler so that it is against the hard-wood engine bearer. Mine are tapered to give some out-thrust. I coat the recess with 30-minute epoxy and then bot the engine on while the epoxy sets. The pads are then attached, but if they come out, the area is fuel proofed. this makes for a tight fit. I'll attach two pictures that I hope will show the appearance. Note that I used 1/16" plywood, rather than thicker material, allowing the aluminum to protrude.

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Question for Dave; on my flap push rod one end of the 90 is longer than the other, which end did you go through the bellcrank with short or long?  Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Online Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
Tim:

It looks to me like the differences in length (and that large angle) are there for no special design purposes (such can happen in manufactured kits, by the way). As long as the extra length doesn't interfere with anything, I'd place it on either end.

By the way, I plan to cap the ends of these control rods with wheel collars. Will probably grind a small flat spot on the each rod where the setscrew contacts and then use epoxy glue on the threads of the setscrew. I prefer solder, but the control horns are made of nylon. Also it looked like this plane's builder had to drill out the control horn holes a tad to fit the larger control rods included in the kit.

Dave...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here