News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Failure proof" hinge pinning  (Read 2288 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
"Failure proof" hinge pinning
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:39:31 PM »
 I've meant to offer this little "how-to" photo tutorial many times but have always forgotten until I'm all through with the process. Working on the Hutchinson P-38 tonight, I finally remembered to snap some pics as I went.

I typically use Du-Bro pinned hinges. Everyone has their favorite hinges, the Du-Bros are mine. Theoretically, once they are epoxied into place they should be all good to go. Not having total confidence in that I developed this pinning routine long ago and have been doing it ever since. Once I have all the hinges glued in place and fully cured I go back and pin them all using round toothpicks.

First, mark a spot for a hole that will go right through the center of the hinge half. Next use a T-Pin and create a pilot hole down to the nylon hinge. You want to do that so the drill bit doesn't wander as you begin drilling. Drill first with a #55 bit as a guide hole, and then finish the hole with a #45 bit. Then get the required number of toothpicks ready, snipping them off and squarely "facing" them. I use a T-Bar sander...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:03:42 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: "Failure proof" hinge pinning
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
 Next, insert the faced toothpick through from the top and then use something hard and flat to set it flush with the surface. I just use an old scrap piece of L/G block. After you have it properly set then add a drop of CA, wait a few seconds, and give the excess a quick wipe...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:06:24 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
 Next, turn the model over and snip the toothpicks off, carefully making the cut flush with the surface. I use a toenail clipper and it works great because it has a straight edge which allows you to set it square, flat, and right down against the surface...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:59:44 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »
 Lastly, give each pin a quick spot sanding to make sure everything is flush with the surface. This will take almost nothing if everything has been done carefully up to this point. Then, finish again with the CA and wipe routine.

After that give each pin a spot of red putty, let cure and sand to finish. Once the hinges are finished and pinned in this fashion they will never pull out. If for some unforeseen reason they ever do, I'd expect you to have a much larger problem, likely related to gravity, which caused it.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »

First, mark a spot for a hole that will go right through the center of the hinge half. Next use a T-Pin and create a pilot hole down to the nylon hinge. You want to do that so the drill bit doesn't wander as you begin drilling. Drill first with a #55 bit as a guide hole, and then finish the hole with a #45 bit. Then get the required number of toothpicks ready, snipping them off and squarely "facing" them. I use a T-Bar sander...

I would also suggest that you cut all the pins out, and replace them with a single pin (.028 or .032 music wire), so you can finish around the hinge line with the flaps/elevators removed.   It also makes repairs and modifications much easier - I would have had to withdraw from the 2006 NATS otherwise. Of course, you need to do that before you permanently attach the leaves of the hinge.

Brett

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:26 AM »
   I would also suggest that you cut all the pins out, and replace them with a single pin (.028 or .032 music wire), so you can finish around the hinge line with the flaps/elevators removed.   It also makes repairs and modifications much easier - I would have had to withdraw from the 2006 NATS otherwise. Of course, you need to do that before you permanently attach the leaves of the hinge.

Brett

I know that's the preferred method for some, and that's fine, just showing my normal routine above. If one is going after a twenty point finish at the NATS, or has another reason for a preferred routine, then to each his own.

Other than applying final color I do 99% of my finish work and prep before the hinges get put in. When the time comes on this model I'll go around first with the airbrush and spray final color in all of the nooks and crannies and tight areas. Then I'll come back with the gun and finish going over the entire model. For me, it's easier to minimize the total amount of final finish (weight) doing it that way. As long as one doesn't go crazy with adding gobs of color and clear during these final steps having the hinges already in place has not been a problem and works fine. Myself, I've never had a reason to remove any control surfaces once a model has been finished. An obvious concern with my described routine would be ending up with sticky hinges after finishing but I've never had a problem with that either. One of the main tricks with all of it is just being patient and carefully watching details throughout the process.

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Great pictoral on doing the pinned hinges.   I pin mine too with round tooth picks.   Every body has their method of hinging and it takes experience plus patience to do it.  But lately most of my planes get full span cloth hinging.   I don't go for 20 point finishes either.  One reason I will never be NATS Champ. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip Bird, I also do it same as you but never thought of the toe nail clippers. I usually use small diagnol pliers but the clippers will get a closer cut.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here