News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Control Horn  (Read 2222 times)

Offline TDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Custom Control Horn
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »
Hey I am making custom control horns for REvolution and I heave a question. What type of material do you use for the wire that goes in the horn. I need an exact name for it. I know it is some kind of spring steel but not sure which one.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
Re: Custom Control Horn
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
I've been using 7018 gas welding rod for quite a few years.  A2 is fine if plan on never have to adjust with a bend;  It will break.  7018 has a yield of 70,000 PSI, I've never had one fail, even through a crash.  FYI this is not my invention, I know of quite a few other people who fly and build much better than I and that is what they use.

Mike

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Guise here is where I am heading. There is no brazing in this horn. In my horns I bend 90 degrees and cut to length and the wire job is done.
A2 got it.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
I've been using 7018 gas welding rod for quite a few years.  A2 is fine if plan on never have to adjust with a bend;  It will break.  7018 has a yield of 70,000 PSI, I've never had one fail, even through a crash.  FYI this is not my invention, I know of quite a few other people who fly and build much better than I and that is what they use.

I have had *no* issues with the A2 tool steel. I tried to bend a horn back an forth (as if I were tweaking it - a LOT) and my hands got tired long before it broke. Did the same test with music wire, and it broke after maybe 20-30 cycles (of +-30 degrees or more). I concluded from that that the tool steel, as used, was *much* tougher than music wire. My only concern is that it might be too easy to "tweak" because it is substantially softer.

Brett

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »
Yes Brett, tool steel is much tougher that music wire.  A2 when heat treated is extremely brittle.  Get it red hot and hit it with air it will break then.  One problem with 7018 is that it might be too forgiving.  It is *real* easy to tweak, at times too easy.  Sometimes a little bump will mess up my flaps.  With some care I'm generally good for the season.  Going to Muncie is a different story.  Well, it is anyway!  A2 is probably fine, I have always worried about a stress riser from the heat at the joint.
Mike

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »
Guise here is where I am heading. There is no brazing in this horn. In my horns I bend 90 degrees and cut to length and the wire job is done.
A2 got it.
You selling this ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:43 AM »
Alan not at this time. What you see is a prototype that will be modified. I want to have a bit more rigid connection between the two halves and i want to remove the legs since you can just tape one flaps in place hold the other one by hand and adjust by holding the flaps by hand. This system is made to work with ball links that attach with a 4-40 screw.
If you want one I can make you one.

And guise I have got some A2 drill rod.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Instead of having those long adjuster legs couldn’t you put the slot and screw on the same side as the pushrod?
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:35 AM »
I think this picture will clarify intent. This is the screw from where the adjustment comes. I did not put this picture and i think that created some confusion.
On one of the legs there is a radial slot in it. that radial slot allows the leg to be indexed radially and set in place with the screw.
For the real parts I plan to cut a flat on the wire in the position where the set screw will be.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »
Yes I understand. Can’t that slot and set screw be on the other side of the wire?
The adjustment set screw would be between the wire and the ball link on the control horn.
One half would have the control horn, with a threaded hole for the set screw. The other half would have a shorter ‘control horn’ with a slot for the set screw to tighten down on.
That would eliminate the long adjuster leg on the opposite side.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
Yes I understand. Can’t that slot and set screw be on the other side of the wire?
The adjustment set screw would be between the wire and the ball link on the control horn.
One half would have the control horn, with a threaded hole for the set screw. The other half would have a shorter ‘control horn’ with a slot for the set screw to tighten down on.
That would eliminate the long adjuster leg on the opposite side.

Already ahead of you. Yes that is a definite possibility. You can index and rotate features anywhere. FOr my purposes it is easier to reach the spot from a little hole under the wing and the set screws are easy to access from the wing cutout area so I rotate them forward.

OK i did a little searching.
A2 55000psi
1045 high strength carbon steel 77000psi
12L14 rotary shaft material 70000psi

The bend is identical for all 3 materials all 3 bend nicely without ant ill effects. For torsional stiffness which depending on the sheer strength length and cross section of the material i did not see much difference between the 12L14 or the 1045 carbon steel A2 seamed a little softer then the other two.

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Hello Trian
                     I have made the Adjustable horn for the flaps in the past using that same idea not as beautiful as you have. There is a Thread on flap adjustment that made me improve mine to make it adjustable using a screw to be able to fine tune the flap after the first flight. Initially I used to use the horn I made to make absolutely sure that both flaps were parallel without giving any thought of fine tuning until I saw Paul Walker set up. I modified mine to be able to fine tune the plane`s flight but I haven`t been able to work on a new plane lately. I already have the wings built with the horn incorporated and can adjust from 0 degrees to plus or minus 5 degrees in small steps. here is the link to the thread so you can see the information and photos. Here is a pic.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Juan

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/flap-adjustment/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:06:15 PM by Juan Valentin »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
I'm still expecting somebody to make elevator and flap horns from CF...somehow. It would save a bunch of weight aft of the CG. Might want to change the basic "bent wire" plan that's been used since the late '40's or early '50's.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here