News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The tool that X-acto doesn't make...  (Read 1024 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
The tool that X-acto doesn't make...
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
 Sorry for the blurry pics here, but I made this tool up the other night while working on a new Challenger .15 wing. I prefer to leave the laser cut "plugs" in the ribs until the wing is framed up so removing them afterward can be a little tricky.

After a little head scratching I took a scrap piece of dowel and razor sawed an angle into it about 3/4 of the way through at roughly a 45 degree angle. Then I took a brand new #11 blade and CA'd it firmly into the slot.

One note, this can be considered a right or left hand tool. When you get ready to glue the blade in pay attention to the direction it faces in relation to the handle.

There you go, a custom Rib Plug Remover Tool Thingamajig...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: The tool that X-acto doesn't make...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
been there  - done that exact same thing - (I think hthe pics of that one are in the Lark build on RSM site)

I have found it easier to manipulate a blade to put a 90degree bend in the end that does into the knife - then use the exacto knife jaws to hold it - I have a pic somewhere.
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »
That's interesting.  I've built two wings so far with big cutouts, and I think out of all that I've only crunched one rib.  So my solution to the problem would be to just cut out and dress the holes before the wing's together.

But a creative solution to a vexing problem is always nice to find.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
Tim, thats all well and good, until your jig holes are located in the lightening holes plugs,, muah ha ha,, HB~>
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Tim, thats all well and good, until your jig holes are located in the lightening holes plugs,, muah ha ha,, HB~>

You're right Mark - and thats exactly why that "tool" is needed - some of the RSM jig holes are in the cutouts and get tought to cut out - especially after you have sheeted the LE
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
What a perverted place to put your jig holes!  Why didn't I think of doing that?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here