News:

• June 04, 2024, 12:23:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spraying Dope  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Dan Labine

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Spraying Dope
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
What would be a good "beginners" choice for equipment to spray dope?

I have a small compressor I use in my shop for nail guns etc.. is this acceptable? I don't have a spray gun or airbrush.

Thanks  Dan..
Dan
MAAC 14300

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
Re: Spraying Dope
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
I've been using  a nail gun compressor with a 8oz touch up gun that i got from Lowe's for 30 bucks!. I'm no front row finisher but it works great for me.
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:27:34 AM »
One of the gravity feed touch up guns from Lowes, Wal Mart, etc., would be a good first choice.  Your compressor will run it, it will just cycle more often than a "big" compressor, as you know.

The gravity feed guns will use all the dope you put in the cup, whereas the siphon feed guns will always leave a small amount in the cup.  No biggie, just less hassle.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 10:33:49 AM »
Steve: It looks like it does a nice job. Good lookin plane.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »
Steve: It looks like it does a nice job. Good lookin plane.

Thanks, It's actually the first plane i ever finished
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »

Thanks, It's actually the first plane i ever finished

Ya done good, Steve!  Are you flying with Champione, Neal, Jose, Mike, and "da boys"?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 11:24:36 AM »
Ya done good, Steve!  Are you flying with Champione, Neal, Jose, Mike, and "da boys"?

Bill <><

kind of i used to go flying with my cousin Pete but he got sick and is no longer in the hobby.Then my mom started driving my but she ended up in a accident a totaled the car so i pretty much have know way of gettin to the field for now but the guys and i at flushing do keep in touch all the time.I still continue to build with 4 planes goin at once right now! lol I'm not to worried about gettin to the field for now since we're covered in snow here in Brooklyn! lol
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
You could also look at one of the Harbor Freight guns. Cheap and while they don't have some of the abilities of the more expensive guns, they work fine as a first spray gun.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92126

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46719

The second one comes with a regulator.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 09:54:16 PM »

I have a small compressor I use in my shop for nail guns etc.. is this acceptable?
Thanks  Dan..

I assume there is a pressure regulator on the compressor. If not you will need one. They make very small pressure regulators that attach directly to the paint gun. They have a gauge on them so you have the advantage of knowing exactly what the pressure is at the gun. You should also consider a filter in the air line. They range from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars. Even the cheapest is better than none. Be sure and drain the air tank on the compressor before you start. Low humidity is better than high humidity.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:48 AM »
Here is a link to a touch up gun a bunch of the Philly guys have had great success with. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=86

I bought three touch up guns on black Friday, it was buy 2 get one free. I also bought a 21 gallon (if my memory serves me right) vertical compressor at the sale price of the 10 gallon horizontal. They sold out of the 10 gallon compressors, so they gave away the 21 gallon compressors for the sale price of the 10 gallon. It looks like the 10 gallon is on sale again.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90234   

Harbor Freight has some very good sales. There products may be lower quality at times, but for the money saved (check the price of Sears compressors) it can be worth it.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 05:05:56 AM »
I did check Sears yesterday;

$239 for 15-gallon and $299 for 33 gallon.  Both 125 psi. CFM comes intot he deal, too, but I didn't note the numbers.

The BIG difference is that I can move the 15 up & down the basement stairs.  The 33 would be offloaded to the garage by me and the first two big guys I can find.

-----------------------------------------------
I just went through his on a compound mitre saw.  The Harbor units were falling apart while on display.  Spent $219 at Sears and expect it to last a lifetime (hopefully longer).

Paul Smith

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
I was just at Sears today and noticed they had a sale on compressors. Anyone who is in the market may want to check their web site for sales or your local store.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »
I've had pretty good luck using a Harbor Freight gun as a primer gun. Works pretty well for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »
  If you get a Sears,  BE PREPARED FOR A LOT OF NOISE !!  I yelled just to get over the noise of just thinking about them.  They are diaphram type and while oilless, do make wearing ear muffs almost mandatory.

Bigiron ----- Got an OLD piston type sears that is going on 30 years old.
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
Hi Dan,
While all the guys advice is right on, depending on preference, the one thing that is almost as important as the gun
is making sure the air is dry.  Suggest you check with Bill Little, or Randy Powell as they are the ones I always check in with before I spend my puny stash of cash.  I have a Harbor freight #4617 HVLP and use the 3m system of paint cups and it has worked well for me.  I spray most of my materials at around 20-26 psi and am able to put down a fairly nice
wet coat using a 2 gallon compressor, which I also use for my airbrush.  You might also direct a query to Robert our formum founder as I am confident he is now an avid air brush user.  Oh when looking at a dryer, do not purchase one that lubricates as well, that is a big no no as the paint needs to stay oiless.

Marv

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here