News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thai Silk - got my first order  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thai Silk - got my first order
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
Guys,
Just received my first order from Thai Silk. Nice stuff, great service. For those that are thinking about doing a clear coat silk job here are a few things I learned placing the first order.

http://www.thaisilks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=china%20silk&page=1

First you go to the website and find there are 20 plus types of silk, you look at the descriptions and none of it says "model covering". After looking all over the forums I finally found what we are using. It is called "China Silk" or "Habutai Silk". The weight is 8mm (this is not the thickness as we know it but a fabric term to describe weight), which is very light weight and smooth about $10 a yard (I got a yard and a half for a 48" span wing).

This silk comes in colors so you open the tab and it will show you color options. I bought the yellow that I plan to use on my new profile Magician.

So, if you like that clear silk look with the sun shining through it, give Thai Silk a try.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thai Silk - got my first order
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
I want to cover a plane in tie dyed (thai dyed?) silk and clear.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
Hi Dennis,

I use the 5mm (momme, haven't a clue! LOL!!) and not have tried the 8mm.  Will have to give that a try.

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »
The 8 mm is a tighter weave then the 5mm, the overall weight isn't really noticeable, but it , the 8 mm, takes just a tad less dope to fill. I have found it is also stronger and is all I now use. H^^

Thanks, Chief Marcucci!  That is all I need to know.  Next order will be 5mm! 
As you were, I will be in the area all day.......

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »
This is what I have used 5 mm natural and quite a bit cheaper.  Will try 8 mm if it has a tighter weave.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-fabrics.html

John

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
Guys,
Thai Silks have various colors available, some are brighter than others, some fit better with clothing use then wing covers. Has anyone purchased colored silk from other suppliers with bright colors?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:16:56 PM »
They have some nice colors. Looking at that royal blue for my Banshee. Let us know how the dye reacts to dope.

MM

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »
Dennis thanks for the tip on Thai silk.  Just got my order of seven yards in several colors and its nice!  I might cover everything with it from now on if I can remember how to use it.  Last one I did in silk was my 1971 Nats Ares!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »
Dave,
I like the Thai silk produce also. I did the El D in silk and it was the first one I did in over 20yrs. One thing I learned with today's dope is use the right clear. I tried to use Lite Coat (I have a gallon of this in the shop) and didn't remember it is low shrink, not good for the getting the silk tight. After a post on this forum I switched to Sig Super Coat Clear. Now it will loosen for the first several coats. On the El D even with the couple coats of Lite Coat it took about six coats and boom it got drum tight. I mention this because from coat 2 to 5 I was ready to tear it off, everyone said keep going and it worked. I never had covering sag once the dope dried, new dope seems to take a few coats. Good luck.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
Does the dye stay color fast after you dope it?

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
Does the dye stay color fast after you dope it?
Though I haven't yet tried this silk,  I've not seen any that had great luck with that on a model that was out in the sun much.  Maybe somebody knows of a UV stabilizer to put in the dope.  I vaguely remember someone doing something like that.  Other than that you'd better cover the airplane when setting in the sun like you should with a clear canopy.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags: silk  covering 

Advertise Here