News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Teosawki wing jig  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Steve Glass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Teosawki wing jig
« on: December 16, 2021, 03:45:19 AM »
Here's a picture of my Teosawki wing jig and a link to a build thread on the Barton website.
The jig is made from 18mm 3/4" ply.

Steve

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16288&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Teosawki wing jig
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »
Very Cool, one of my favorite planes !!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 04:02:43 AM »
I'm just one mistake away from having nothing to fly. So I'm shelving all other projects and making a start on another Teosawki.

This one will have a balsa LE as it's hard to get white foam around here.

Cut a kit of parts and assembled the front fuselage and TE.

Steve

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 07:35:03 AM »
    Have you looked at other types pf foam?  There are many different types of sheet foam, and in the long run may work better. Some types of insulation foam may be heavier but they will also be more resilient and flexible in a crash/ I don't think they would be heavy enough to be of any serious detriment. I don't know where you are located but maybe you just need to think outside the box a bit to find a source. Even laminating thinner sheets could work.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 09:05:20 AM »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Clearly you need to go to medical school Dan, so you can join the AMA.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 09:58:38 AM »
    Have you looked at other types pf foam?  There are many different types of sheet foam, and in the long run may work better. Some types of insulation foam may be heavier but they will also be more resilient and flexible in a crash/ I don't think they would be heavy enough to be of any serious detriment. I don't know where you are located but maybe you just need to think outside the box a bit to find a source. Even laminating thinner sheets could work.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

I can't see myself using heavier grades of foam due to the weight penalty.  My original Teosawki's AUW is 42 oz which I think is too heavy, so weight control is important with this unflapped design. Has anyone got any experience here with this design weightwise?
I might try a composite LE later? However for this build I'm committed, the balsa has been cut.

Attached is a picture of my scarf sanding board to make the 48" spars.

Steve

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
  If you have the hot wire equipment tp cut the leafing edges, just make templates to hollow out the heavier foam, ,maybe put in a few ribs to support it . I really don't think it would be a serious factor of more than a few grams.. A friend of mine just used pink insulation foam to make a buck for forming a turtle deck and it's very light. Some where on line I bet you can find a density chart for the different foams and compare them.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 04:11:29 AM »
Using the wing-jig step1.

Build the LE including the front fuselage as one assembly.

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 04:13:05 AM »
Using the wing-jig step2.

Flip everything over and add the TE and ribs.

I shall add the wing-tips and gussets before removing from the jig.

Steve

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 04:36:38 AM »
One small deviation from the original design.

Clayton Smith's original uses 3/32 ply for the doubler. I didn't have any 3/32, so I laminated 1/16 and 1/32 ply together. On this build I took the 1/32 ply back to the TE whereas the original 3/32 stops at the bellcrank mount.   This addresses a slight weakness IMO.

Steve

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 04:45:36 AM »
When making ribs by the sandwich method, I add sacrificial packing pieces in this case 6mm Depron foam. It helps reduce the bevelled edges on the ribs and improves the gluing surface.

Steve

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »
 ;D  Man, this is all great information.  I hope you don't mind but I would like to "steal" your jig design.  Heaven knows, I really like the Teosawki.  I have now built my third one but I'm still routinely flying my first one (finished in Marvin the Martian colors) and my second one (finished in Tampa Bay Super Bowl 54 colors) not to mention the bunches of balsa and plywood wood I have cut for another 3 or 4 birds that our little group have built and fly!  One of our club members has been getting the leading edges cut by Phil Cartier.  I believe Phil is the source and I believe our club member has another batch of cores coming and you can be sure I'll be cutting some more wood.  Thanks for the wonderful idea and I hope you won't mind if I write and seek additional detailed information to assist me.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Carter

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 02:13:21 PM »
Thanks Jim,

How heavy are your Teosawki's, usually?

I'll have to ask about international postage on a few sets of cores from Phil Cartier.

If I was going to do a series run of Teosawki's, I would add a fixture to the jig that securely holds the fuselage nose in position accurately. Another tip, packing tape on the jig works well to keep the glue off.

Steve

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 11:56:04 AM »
Thanks Jim,

How heavy are your Teosawki's, usually?

I'll have to ask about international postage on a few sets of cores from Phil Cartier.

If I was going to do a series run of Teosawki's, I would add a fixture to the jig that securely holds the fuselage nose in position accurately. Another tip, packing tape on the jig works well to keep the glue off.

Steve
Good morning Steve!  Well, while I thought about a jig, for some reason, my mind just didn't come up with something a neat as yours.
All of my builds are a combination of slow patient measuring, re-measuring, cutting/sanding, fitting and sanding before gluing.  Regarding your request, here's an extract from my Flight Log regarding my two active Teo's.  You will note, both are currently powered with .40 engines rather than the originally mounted OS 40 FS Surpass engines and the weights were taken after their first flights:

Plane                                      Engine                      First Flight       Weight        Last Flight     Total Flights                Notes
TEOSAWKI (GREEN)                OS 40 FS SURPASS    20-Oct-18       2#-10.7oz    5-Feb-22       138                 Engine Swap Tower Hobby 40
TEOSAWKI (SUPER BOWL 55)  OS 40 FS SURPASS    31-May-19      2#-15.8oz    8-Jan-22        23                   Engine Swap OS 40
Actually both planes handled well with the 40FS engines, nice, good pull, using 3-bladed props, adjusted for lap times in the 5:00 - 5:30 second time range but I wasn't pleased with the feel of vibration (possibly propeller imbalance on my part) through the lines.  It wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it, thus the swap to 2 strokes.

The most recent plane is fully assembled but still "in the bones" and hasn't been outfitted with covering engine and tank but it comes in at: 1#-12.6oz.

Jim

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 01:12:21 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing you Teosawki details.  I guess that at 2# 10oz mine is OK?

My setup is... at the moment...
OS46LA. 6.5mm venturi with OS needle valve, APC 12.25x3.75, fuel with 5%nitro and 22% oil. About 9000rpm at take-off.

Steve

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 10:55:04 AM »
When making ribs by the sandwich method, I add sacrificial packing pieces in this case 6mm Depron foam. It helps reduce the bevelled edges on the ribs and improves the gluing surface.

Steve

Why do they have to be "sacrificial" ??  They could still hold up a molded leading edge. You could use balsa and have several sets of ribs for future builds. Some where I read about this process, I think it may have been Charlie Reeves, that he uses twice the number of rib blanks and that helps with the bevel, and he has a whole set of extra ribs if he needs them. The depron should work for a rib and if you think you need it, a 1/16" by 1'8" strip glued to the middle of the rib should add some extra stiffness.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 12:42:37 PM »
   Why do they have to be "sacrificial" ??  They could still hold up a molded leading edge. You could use balsa and have several sets of ribs for future builds. Some where I read about this process, I think it may have been Charlie Reeves, that he uses twice the number of rib blanks and that helps with the bevel, and he has a whole set of extra ribs if he needs them. The depron should work for a rib and if you think you need it, a 1/16" by 1'8" strip glued to the middle of the rib should add some extra stiffness.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Good idea Dan. thanks for the tip.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here