News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SWIFT Build  (Read 17188 times)

larry borden

• Trade Count: (0)
SWIFT Build
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
The building of Riley's SWIFT has started.  Cut out the trailing edges, stabilator and fins.
Waiting on the laser cut parts.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:26:08 AM by larry borden »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: SWIFT Build
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I have finished the computer work and the parts should be ready next week. We will have 2 flying as development airplanes before Riley can release the drawings.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:29:02 PM »
Received the parts from Tom this afternoon and after about 2 hours work, here is how it looks.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
Looks to me (could be wrong!) that you'll have wash-in on both wingtips, if you keep it pinned to the bench. Sighting down the jigging tube holes in the ribs should confirm that.  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
Received the parts from Tom this afternoon and after about 2 hours work, here is how it looks.

Larry, sent you an e-mail...........

larry borden

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »
Photos of landing gear mount, bell crank mount dummied in and wing tips. Inboard tip has been constructed to allow for adjustable leadouts.

larry borden

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
Scratch the adjustable leadouts. Seems I got in a hurry yesterday and had a brain fart. I'm using solid LOs and I bent the leadouts to determine neutral and forgot to install the guide. Oh well, I gues I'll just go old skool without adj leadouts. Sure mage me fell stupid or stupider or something. I'm sure I'm the only one that has ever done this.

larry borden

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
Wing has been finished with the exception of putting in the weight box. Of course I screwed up and there will be no adjustable leadouts.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
All will be fine, remeber that brain farts only stink in your head. Build looks good.--LOUIE   LL~ H^^ D>K

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
 Hmm, I guess I don't know the "Swift" and I don't recognize the wing here. What does this plane look like?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »
Hmm, I guess I don't know the "Swift" and I don't recognize the wing here. What does this plane look like?

Hi Wayne,

This is a new design from Riley Wooten.  Larry is building one of the prototypes.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

larry borden

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »

In the Open Forum under Experimental Stunt Wing there is a picture of the plans for the SWIFT. It was posted by Riley on Feb. 10, 2012.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
 Got it, looks like a handful! ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

larry borden

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Fuselage is framed up and ready to be sanded and then wing will be installed. Took a few liberties with the fuselage, insted of formers I used 1/8" sq. balsa. Fuselage is very sturdy and quick to build.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:07:32 PM by larry borden »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »
Larry,
Looking Good!

Except I prefer Skippys
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
Today I fitted the fuselage to the wing and cut out part of the wing for the fuel tank.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
Here is my Swift wing on 3/8" rods.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
Wing has been installed in fuselage and landing gear has been installed. This thing looks wicked, like an oversized Sneeker.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
This is how I mount the bellcrank. The ribs were notched for the 1/8" Lt Ply plates top and bottom. The plates are glued to the spars and the ribs. The plates are 1/16" below the spars so that the sheeting will be flush with the top of the spars. With the sheeting on top of the plates you will tear the wing apart before you can pull the bellcrank mounts out.

I will take more pictures to show the bellcrank and wing tips installed.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
Picture #1: I forgot to take a picture of the bellcrank before starting to close up the center section. This does show the top and bottom ply mounts and you can see the upper bellcrank post flush with the sheeting.

Picture # 2: I have a slider mounted to the inboard tip.

Picture #3: The beginning of the outboard tip installation. Look at the fit of the main spars to the ribs. This is the big advantage of laser cutting; a  perfect fit every time.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
Tom, good looking wing tip with the adj LO. lol

larry borden

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Wing has silk applied to the bottom. No water or dope until top of wing gets covered.

larry borden

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
Sue to some time away due to medical situations, I am back on the build. Wing has been covered and filled and I have the tail feathers dummied up for final fitting.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Goodness but your work area is clean!

If I started keeping my shop that tidy, my family and friends would start wondering where the real me went to, and who the impostor is.

Oh -- and the plane looks nice, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

larry borden

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
Here is the first prototype of the SWIFT, affectionately know as 'The Beast'. She is awaiting final sanding and a couple coats of clear, then its 'go time'. First flights will be with clear finish and if all things work out and adjustments made, a cowling will be built and paint will follow. Everyone keep their fingers crossed.

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
Great build!. If I remember right, back in the 60's when something looked cool or neat we called "swift"  LL~---louie  H^^  D>K

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
Larry says that his "Riley's Swift" is the "Beast" and mine will be the "Beauty.

I think Larry's looks beautiful.

I am behind Larry's so I am anxiously waiting his flight reports so that I can take advantage of what he has learned.

I still have to bend the landing gear, and will work on a cowl faired in to spinner. I also chose the inverted engine option. Since I can take advantage of Larry's testing, I will be able to have it completed with the canopy and hopefully a nice and simple paint scheme.

Here is my "Swift" as of today.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Here she is ready for the first flight tomorrow.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
With that short nose, I hope it flies better than the Stunt Wing.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

larry borden

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Had engine problems, which were later to be me. By time I got engine to run, no daylight. Try again tomorrow.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
Please refresh my memory on the wing span.  Also, what do you have in it for an engine?

(looks good!)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

larry borden

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
Please refresh my memory on the wing span.  Also, what do you have in it for an engine?

(looks good!)

Bill

Wingspan is 48"  Engine is a Fox 35 50th anniversary

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »
Another update on my "Riley's Swift" stunt wing.

My airplane uses the inverted engine option and will start with an FP .40. Larry and I have also talked about possibly using one the the newer .25s.

The landing gear is made and the Hayes engine mount traps the nose gear to hold it in place. The main gear will be held in place with a single landing gear strap. The Hayes mount will allow quick changing engines simply by swapping mounts.

I have added internal fillers to blend the nose into a 2" spinner. The military type canopy will look great. Polyspan covering will be used. The rudders will be permanently attached after covering.

Since the stunt wings are experimental, I will have a removable elevator so that we can try different counter balance areas.  

Riley has a lot of thought in this design.   Larry and I will continue to coordinate with Riley to make suggestions as we go along.

Larry should have his "Swift" flying this week.

We thank Riley for the opportunity for us to be involved. It will be a neat looking airplane.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:20:15 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
Tom, that really is a 'Beauty'. I like the inverted engine, really cleans up the nose. Finally traced engine problems to my glow plug igniter. Using one of those Tower Hobbies that uses a AA battery and the battery gets fried after the first try. Taking Tom's recommendation of the McDaniel unit.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
Tom, that looks great!!  How is the CG coming out at this point?  Can't wait for you to finish it, and I will have
to make a trip to see it fly........
rw

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:33 AM »
Riley,
Thanks

To all,
Larry and I showed the airplanes at the Dallas club meeting last night. All liked being able to see something that is different.

Larry's will be flown very soon, possibly today. He will finish the cowl and paint it after it has been flown. Larry calls mine "Beauty" and he calls his the "Beast", but close up his workmanship is excellent. Don't let Larry fool you. He is a great builder.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:54:53 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »
The SWIFT flew this afternoon. The good news is it is still in one piece, the bad news is, it was a handful. The thing flies like a combat ship, you give it input to go up and it does, NOW. And then it started porpoising until I could get it into level flight, where I stayed until time to land. Got it on the ground in one piece.

Tom N and I talked on the phone about it and the consensus was, more nose weight and smaller line spacing on the handle. Also thinking there may be too much counter balance,

Hopefully may get another flight in today. Now for a stiff medicinal drink to settle the nerves.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
This flight report sounds just like the first flight I made on my Red Rheinhardt Stunt Wing.   Cure was a Heavy Higley Hub under a two inch plastic spinner.  Flew great and even won a trophy with it at St Louis one year.  Still have it, but the fuel tank leaks like a sieve. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

larry borden

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
I think it was you that said it would be wild. And I kept thinking about that statement when I was flying it! lol Putting more weight in the nose and changing handles.

larry borden

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
Flight of the SWIFT taken with Sandy's phone.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Have been following this build, congrats on a great build and a successful, if not overly exciting, test flight.

Sounds like more nose weight is in the cards - personally I hate adding ballast, especially a heavy hub on a plain bearing engine.  Noticed the firewall mount, can you slide the motor forward and drill new mounting holes?  Can you put a 1/2" or so spacer BEHIND the mount to push the motor out?  Either of those actions should have a powerful effect on CG.

Instead of narrowing the handle spacing can you slow down the controls by lengthening the elevator horn?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

larry borden

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Dennis, I hate adding weight, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I did add 6-32 washers behind the mount and re-drilled the engine mounting holes.

I'm using a 3/4" Sullivan steel horn. Going to the lhs tomorrow and get a longer one. Sullivan has a 1 1/8" horn.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:39:48 PM by larry borden »

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Larry, the Fox 35 is a light engine. Perhaps an engine that weighs more?
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Bill,
Mine will have a heavier FP .40. Part of the program is to make any necessary improvements and to try different engines so that we can recommend a safe CG location,control movement setup and handle combinations. Counter balance size will also be reviewed. The "Swift" is out of the norm so that all has to be done in baby steps.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
The CG on the SWIFT as mine sits right now is 3/4" in front of the spar.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
Dence me, just notice the RC mount for the engine.   A new ply spacer or washers as you used should do the trick.  The Stunt Wing had regular engine mounts, also no room to move engine.  Will watch for availablity of the kit. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

larry borden

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »
We flew the SWIFT again today and it was a sweetheart! I added a 1.5 ounce weight on the prop shaft and 1 oz in the tank compartment. I moved the engine as far out on the mount as I could and placed two 6-32 washers between the engine mount and firewall. Spacing on the handle was set at 3 inches and away she went The flight was great and only problem was I set the engine a hair rich and didn't try any manuvers other than some climbs and dives and semi wing overs. Another flight will be put up in the next couple of days and if all goes well, the SWIFT will be cleaned and all hardware taken off and will be painted. Now I just have to come up with a paint scheme.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Well there goes the balance point.   Anyway glad to hear it is working better.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
I talked to Larry yesterday. He was very excited about the potential of the airplane.

Mine is getting closer. The pictures show how I am holding the elevator in  place. 1'32" pads top and bottom. The end of the pin is bent 90 degrees and held in place with a brass clip. This will allow the elevator to be removable.

Charles Lickliter used a similar system on his Classic "Ballerina"

I hope to start applying the finish to my "Swift" in a few days
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
Here is my Swift as of today.

A lot of work ahead: add simulated jet intakes, fillets, more clear, a little cockpit detail, possibly landing gear fairings. I will use House of Kolors Tangerine Kandy Koncentrate to tint the polyspan, then trim colors TBD.

I have added the third rudder, and have an inverted engine. Larry's has two rudders and a side mounted engine.

Larry has his Swift flying well, so the airplane has potential. I am anxious to fly mine.

I don't know Riley's intentions at this time, but I am sure that he will make plans available when we get past the prototype builds and flight testing.

Larry and I will have to get together with a keg or two of beer do discuss the "Saga" of our build. I will probably write something humorous about this for Stunt News, so that everyone can have a laugh about how two very experienced modelers can make mistake upon mistake, upon mistake!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:27:36 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
Tom, I will have to get together with you two, over the keg of course and hear the stories...... Plane is looking good....
RW

larry borden

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I thought the keg statement would get your attention. lol

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »
Four coats of clear and filets.  Since it is in a confined space, a 5 oz nylon DuBro with the forward extension would be perfect but it is only available in 2oz increments. I made a hatch, but the hatch mounts take just enough space to make it almost impossible to install the tank.

The fillets and cockpit will be primed next. The gray primer will be the color for the cockpit interior.  It's getting there, I can finally see the the end.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 06:37:28 AM »
Here are some of the wing graphics. and the instruments.
AMA 7544

larry borden

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
The AMA number that is in the picture is mine. I had Tom put a X in front, because this sure has been an experimental project.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
Here is Larry's "Swift" with white as main color. The wing graphics are shown.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
Cockpit fillets are completed. I will make some wheel fairings to dress up the landing gear. Then the airplane will get a coat of primer before the colors.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:04:19 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 05:57:25 AM »
The landing gear fairings are now on. A few small things and it is ready for primer and color. This is really becoming a neat project!

When Larry and I have both airplanes finished, Riley is going to have a keg of beer and a party for everyone!
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
Riley finally got to see my "Swift" at the Dallas Christmas party.
AMA 7544

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
Hi Larry,

Have you ironed out the problems of the RW's Swift? And how does it fly now? Inquiring minds want to know. Riley's Swift looks like a nice winters project.

Thanks.

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2014, 07:32:30 PM »
Sorry for the lack of update on the SWIFT. I flew it after adding some weight in the nose and it became a kitten. I flew it without final finish. It has since been finished, but health issues have kept me from flying much of anything. Vertigo reared its ugly head, but those problems are now behind me and hope to get some flights in soon. Thanks for the inquiry and it is a neat plane to build.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Are plans available?    Still have the Stunt Wing in the shop with a leaky fuel tank.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here