News:

• June 17, 2024, 07:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shaping a Sig 3/32 AL gear blank  (Read 1689 times)

Offline John Craig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Shaping a Sig 3/32 AL gear blank
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:37 AM »
I have never bent an aluminum gear blank before.

What is the most accurate & most efficient way to bend a 3/32 Sig gear blank ??  Radius of bends? Measuring to allow for the radius of bends?  Most likely problems to watch out for?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Shaping a Sig 3/32 AL gear blank
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
It takes practice to get it right as far as dimensions.   The radius of the bend should be 4 times the thickness of the material I was told one time.  A good heavy vise is desirable to hold the item for the radius.   Also a good rubber mallet.  Don't forget patience.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
I believe, and may be dead wrong, but the AL has to be gently heated.   D>K

No!!!  The aluminum should bend just fine dead cold.  About the only thing you can do with heat-treated aluminum with heat is to anneal it, which softens it up until either you heat-treat it again, or it hardens itself over time.

If it cracked you were probably trying to bend it over too small a radius.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
I have never bent an aluminum gear blank before.

What is the most accurate & most efficient way to bend a 3/32 Sig gear blank ??  Radius of bends? Measuring to allow for the radius of bends?  Most likely problems to watch out for?

John,

Must be your own design?

Take the blank to your local Body Shop. Bet they have a "brake."

What, four bends.

Probably do the bends for free.

Sheetmetal shop also.

For my The New American aluminum gear, I just sent a full scale drawing to Brodak. Sent me a gear bent right on the money.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
wait, alll depends on alloy type, some of them are easy to bend cold and some of them must be heated and some are soft after heating ... if it is duraluminum (probably is), it must be heated, then it needs to cool down slowly, then it bends nicely and after some time it gets its strength again (few days, but already after 1 hour it is so strong that it bends visibly harder then immediately after heating) ... the best is if you have piece for testing

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »
Search on YouTube for "bending sheet metal".  You'll find lots of videos, some of which may even be useful.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »
 I just mark my reference point and clamp it in a vise against a piece of 5/32" (or larger) music wire and then bend it over that. Just don't try bending it without using some sort of radius behind it for support, if you don't you'll be almost guaranteed of cracking it. Also, BEFORE you make the bend, double check yourself and make sure you make your bend in the direction that you had planned on.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »
 My thanks to everyone for there suggestions & comments.  I think I now have enough information to give it a try & have a good chance of success.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »
may be one link can help: http://www.dbsportandscale.com/How%20to%20bend%20duralumin.htm

Igor,

Wow! Great info and thanks for posting the link.

Exactly what you said I believe. Kudos!!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:39:23 AM »
yes but nothing will replace personal experience, it is really very helpfull to try it with small piece of THAT material

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here