News:

• June 05, 2024, 08:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making fuel tanks  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Making fuel tanks
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:55:46 AM »
Hi guys, I was just wondering how many people make their fuel tanks? We used to make all our tanks, prints had a design of a tank for that plane. I made a eight ounce tank today to install in the new ship I'm building. Wish I could have made a bigger tank, that's all the room I had. I like to fly as long as I can, not worried about losing points, just practice flying. When I do contest I'll time an adjust accordingly. Anyway just curious how many make their own tanks, its fun. This tank cost me five dollars. Just having fun, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Making fuel tanks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
Gary,
I used to make all my tanks, but once I learned how to set up the clunkers I'll never go back.  When I was still building my tanks I did it at work as I was a troubleshooter and had many days that were super slow so i had to do something, right?  I think I built tanks for most of the guys in the local area!  You're right, it is fun, I just like the clunkers the best.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:28 AM »
I'm with Will here, since I figured out how to do Uniflow clunkers I usually don't. However there are models I've built that had to have custom tanks for them. My Veco Chief for one. I used a Torp .35 and is was grossly thirsty, so I made a special tank the extended up between the bearers, works well too.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »
I make my own. Some are complicated and some just boxes. Somtimes squeezing in extra tank space in a small compartment or some elaborate shape trying out flow ideas or trying increase/decrease head pressure, whatever. I build a lot of tanks.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »
My hats off  H^^ to you all who make their own tanks but I am grateful to Doug Taffinder, GRW, Kenn Smith and now John Brodak and Eric Rule at RSM who continue to offer quallity ready made metal tanks.  They still offer a great deal of value for the money and heck, my planes take long enough to build as it is.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 12:05:21 PM »
I make almost all of my metal tanks. I have tried the clunk tanks set up for uniflow on profiles, and I have yet to make one work for me. These were for Fox 35's and McCoy 35's and they just did not work well at all. The engines went lean at the wrong places, and rich at the wrong places. I tried them with two tubes going to one clunk, and with the uniflow fixed in the outer edge of the tank. One thing I did not like other than they did not work, even though I had the tank stopper tight, when I went to fuel up it was easy to turn the uniflow, or bump the pickup, and that would change everything. I know there are many that get these tanks to work just fine, and I have tried them several times without success. I am probably doing something wrong, duh, but have copied what others have done, and they still don't work. A solid mounted hard tank once you have it dialed in will not change, and the tubes don't move. y1
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:51:57 PM »
When you make a metal tank, blow through all the tubes to make sure you did not solder one shut.  Been there, done that, more than once. n1 

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »
Hi guys, I was just wondering how many people make their fuel tanks? We used to make all our tanks, prints had a design of a tank for that plane. I made a eight ounce tank today to install in the new ship I'm building. Wish I could have made a bigger tank, that's all the room I had. I like to fly as long as I can, not worried about losing points, just practice flying. When I do contest I'll time an adjust accordingly. Anyway just curious how many make their own tanks, its fun. This tank cost me five dollars. Just having fun, Gary
Hi guys, I test run her today, works great. I didn't time her but with a merco 61, I like to just let it run and run. Great sounding motor and good power. Had her on my test stand and just walked around and blew leaves off of yard. (That way I can tell the better half I'm working! Ha Ha) Walter, thanks for the input when she asked if I had enough motors, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:17:25 PM »
Hi guys,

I just made another tank. I don't know the proper way to measure how many ounces the tank is, so I just use the bosses measuring cup and check how many ounces the new tanks holds. After I use this method I install the back cover to the tank. Use to think one inch X one inch X two inches was close to a ounce. I think its a little more than an ounce. I guess I could do the math but I'm lazy. My brother ask me why I make my own tanks, you can buy one for around fifteen dollars. I guess cause I have the metal and tubing which cost me around three dollars to make the same size tank and its kinda fun. How many tanks have you bought and end up taking the back off to clean out the tank? I'm just having fun, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
After you make the tank, don't use a plastic syringe to add lacquer thinner to clean it out. Squirt in some alcohol instead.  When you solder a vent tube closed, you can just drill it out (carefully).
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »
Hi Gary,

I make tanks, a lot.  And I use bought tanks.  Plus, I have used several of the tank kits that are available from Brodak and all.  So, I am all over the place as far as tanks go.  On many of my profiles, I use clunk tanks, so I guess I have no real pattern to what I do.......... ;D  LL~

One thing I have noticed (and I might just be crazy!) is that a Fox 35 seems to work best on a profile with simple Standard venting and not uniflow.  I have no clue as to why!

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
Hi Gary,

I make tanks, a lot.  And I use bought tanks.  Plus, I have used several of the tank kits that are available from Brodak and all.  So, I am all over the place as far as tanks go.  On many of my profiles, I use clunk tanks, so I guess I have no real pattern to what I do.......... ;D  LL~

One thing I have noticed (and I might just be crazy!) is that a Fox 35 seems to work best on a profile with simple Standard venting and not uniflow.  I have no clue as to why!

Mongo
Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you, hope the state gets your checks to you. Yes, I agree good old foxes seem to run better set up with the old style tanks. Have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
I know some don't care for the SSW formum but there's an excellent tank building article by AL Rabe over there:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=314440&mesg_id=314440&page=
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here