News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister Build  (Read 56546 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fancherized Twister Build
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
It flies!  It's still in one piece!  There was some question about this latter in the second half of the reverse wingover of flight #3 -- flight #2 was way too lean, and I richened it up way to much for flight #3 expecting it to lean out after the first couple of laps, which it never did.  It did speed up through the first half of the reverse wingover, but on the second half it went slack on the lines to the accompaniment of some short words and fast backpedaling (and I flew the rest of the flight level).

I'm still learning the right way to adjust this tank/engine combination, but I'm getting there.
is this with the Carb on the tower 40? what is the choke area of the carb and or venturi you are using,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:42 AM »
Also don't forget to try different props.   The big thing is not push it to hard and wind up with peices.   Windy Urtnowski had a great write up years ago about getting planes set up for the pattern.   His main thing in the article besides level wings was engine run.   A lot of level laps upright and inverted, plus eights and loops.   None of what we call hard manuevers until engine and plane was okay.  Also I hope you have several sets of lines. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »
I built this thing with wheel hold-downs in lieu of straps, then made the World's Ugliest Things to do the job.  So I fixed that.  One of the guys at my RC field has been showing up with these beautiful scratchbuilt old-time freeflight planes converted to RC, with engine-turned aluminum on the cowls.  So I copied it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
oh those are pretty wheel hold down things,,  H^^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Randy:  You mean the trike gear?  I hope so.  Dirty Dan thinks I'm going to be disappointed.  He may be right -- but if I'm gonna waste time on a trike gear plane, better now than when I'm flying Advanced or Expert, no?

Charles:  Here's a pic of the axle sans wheel.

Tim,

I don't think you are accurately stating my comments. I am quite sure you will like the trike gear. Very much in point of fact, as it will pretty much do what you expect.

It's later that questions come to the fore.

1. Am I really getting superior takeoffs and landings? It seems to jump off the ground or it seems to not rotate willingly.

There is a lot more involved than just getting the model to sit on three wheels.

2. Why have I added to the drag of this model, especially with said drag so far from the CofG?

3. Why have I added weight to this model?

If as trimming progresses you begin to notice model tends to snap into outsides while being a little lazy to insides, think of me. Yes, there are reasons for this tendency beyond screwed-up drag and totally whacked additions of mass (and a heavy muffler hanging down). But there is a good chance the fixes won't fix the problem. That's when I really want you to think of me!

4. Here's the real test: When having gained experience with trike gear, let's see what style gear your next model employs. You know where I stand on that issue...

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

Tim,

I don't think you are accurately stating my comments. I am quite sure you will like the trike gear. Very much in point of fact, as it will pretty much do what you expect.

1. Am I really getting superior takeoffs and landings? It seems to jump off the ground or it seems to not rotate willingly.

There is a lot more involved than just getting the model to sit on three wheels.

2. Why have I added to the drag of this model, especially with said drag so far from the CofG?

If as trimming progresses you begin to notice model tends to snap into outsides while being a little lazy to insides, think of me. Yes, there are reasons for this tendency beyond screwed-up drag and totally whacked additions of mass (and a heavy muffler hanging down). But there is a good chance the fixes won't fix the problem. That's when I really want you to think of me!

4. Here's the real test: When having gained experience with trike gear, let's see what style gear your next model employs. You know where I stand on that issue...

Dan

Dan, let me guess, you advocate RETRACTABLE trike gear right  LL~ ( oh and the smiley emoticon was just for you buddy )
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
Dan, let me guess, you advocate RETRACTABLE trike gear right  LL~ ( oh and the smiley emoticon was just for you buddy )

I would rather use a single wheel and tip skids than trike gear. Which is what I did with at least two ARF Flite Streaks and my Soup Combat Streaker.

Such comes from experience gained in actually building and flying a trike gear model many years ago. Never again...

I hate you for dumping in the emoticon.

"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing." And last weekend this was more true than ever, was it not?!

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
well,, the emoticon was just one of those "have to moments,,,"

as to last weekend,, looks like there may actually be some old teams with new speed as well,,, was good to see the "I know what I am doing" guy ,, show that he knows what he is doing,,

what thinks you about Hamilton,, can he make a diff on that team?

sorry Tim,, F1 distraction,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
what thinks you about Hamilton,, can he make a diff on that team?

sorry Tim,, F1 distraction,,

Hamilton driving for Merc:

1) He will be making a lot more money.

2) He will have much more free time.

3) He will no longer have to commission replicas of trophies won.

4) He will be marginally quicker than Rosberg.

5) He will prove vastly superior to Schumacher in helping to develop chassis.*

6) He will still be a punk.

Dan

*N.5 is a joke! dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »
Hamilton sucks... JMHO though...
F1 is not even the shadow of what it once was.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33:42 PM »
Hamilton sucks... JMHO though...
F1 is not even the shadow of what it once was.

Marcus

Agreed on Hamilton. One will sometimes hear that competition breeds character. It is my view that competition reveals character. And Hamilton is the proof.

What an odd comment about F1! Please tell me when the peak of F1 took place so I can better chart the changes (decline?!). Granted, F1 has changed over the years. Very much of this change has been positive.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #261 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »

Tim,

Dan

I just looked here for other reasons, and thought that a one-year-after answer may be just the ticket:

1: YES!  YES YES YES!  The plane practically takes off and lands itself.  The only bad habit it has is that if I land too slow it'll bounce badly -- it has to be greased in.  That gear gets me at least 5-10 points a flight if I don't try to do a carrier landing like I did (twice!) this past weekend at Puyallup.

2: See (1)

3: Because if it wasn't over weight, people may not believe that I made it.

4: My next model will be conventional gear, for comparison purposes.  The real question is what is the gear on the model after that.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #262 on: June 15, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
I was just going to mention that I don't recall ever seeing Tim's "Sister Jenny" do a decent landing on its trike gear. But nevermind, I won't bother.  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #263 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16:56 PM »
well I did my trike gear plane,,
and no my displeasure was not the reason it splatted in Salem,,
my new profile will not have trike gear,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
that said do yourself a favor, do not sheet the leading edge, do not use cap strips, add the half ribs, and monokote the wing. Perhaps using spruce spars would be ok, I did. The real advantage for YOU ( and me when I flew this) is that the wing structure will absorb a lot of abuse when ,, uh,, if you bounce it on the bottom of manuevers. It will flex, pop the monokote/ultracote between bays on the wing, and most times with some 2 inch packing tape to patch the covering, you can be flying again. If you build the wing more rigid , sheeting and cap strips, it will shatter.

Sorry to the world for reviving this old thread but -- see what I get for following Mark's advice?  I have never crashed this plane in 2 1/2 years of flying (over 500 flights, I'm pretty sure), but I'm always tweaking the flaps to make up for the wing squirming around! 

The worst damage to it was as an innocent bystander when Bruce Hunt had a motor break off of his airplane in ground testing at the Regionals.
AMA 64232

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »
Sorry to the world for reviving this old thread but -- see what I get for following Mark's advice?  I have never crashed this plane in 2 1/2 years of flying (over 500 flights, I'm pretty sure), but I'm always tweaking the flaps to make up for the wing squirming around! 

The worst damage to it was as an innocent bystander when Bruce Hunt had a motor break off of his airplane in ground testing at the Regionals.

So do you feel the lack of wing structure, (no sheeting and cap-strips) the cause of the wiggly wings? 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
So do you feel the lack of wing structure, (no sheeting and cap-strips) the cause of the wiggly wings? 

When you leave out sheeting and cap strips the wooden structure of the wing is very weak in torsion, and not terribly strong in fore-aft shear.  Once the wing is covered, however, it is fairly rigid.

This is both a blessing and a curse: it's a blessing because it makes the plane very resilient in a crash, and it's a curse because if the covering moves, the wing moves.

The crash resiliency is nice: if you doink the airplane, instead of the wing shattering, or breaking in two at the root and crushing balsa in the fuselage, the covering bursts, the wooden structure flexes, and with luck you have a repair job that consists of a few dots of glue and new covering on the wings.

I think I recovered my Skyray 35 three times because of crashes, with very little damage to the wing structure.  Then I handed the thing off to someone else and they flew it some more.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2015, 12:01:14 AM »

dude, really,,
when I gave that advice you were still flying intermidiate,, somehow I dont think my advice was intended to carry through when you made the LEAP to expert ,,

Note on that,, hey I didnt finish last in my first expert contest,, and,, Now that I am finally able to fly again on a regular basis,, I am gunning for you!<, you may want to finish up the Legacy,, and the Atlantis,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »
dude, really,,
when I gave that advice you were still flying intermidiate,, somehow I dont think my advice was intended to carry through when you made the LEAP to expert ,,

Well, yes, but a chance to yank your chain is not to be wasted.  If you look to the post right after yours I'm heartily agreeing with you.

Note on that,, hey I didnt finish last in my first expert contest,, and,, Now that I am finally able to fly again on a regular basis,, I am gunning for you!<, you may want to finish up the Legacy,, and the Atlantis,,,

Robin crashed the Fright Streak in practice today, and I declared the Ringmaster dead last night (dorked motor mounts).  Since it's going to be rainy for a good long time the plan is to get the Atlantis in the air and let her crash practice with Sister Jenny -- so maybe we'll use that wing construction after all.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here