News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:18:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stagered Lead Out Connections  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Stagered Lead Out Connections
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:33 PM »
I've always used solid wire lead outs until now and have always made them equal length with no interference problems. Currently I have two aircraft with Tom Morris controls that need to have their flexible lead outs finish wrapped. What's the standard for wrapping them - equal length or staggered to avoid interference with each other during manoeuvers?
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Stagered Lead Out Connections
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 05:15:06 PM »
Dennis,
For years I did as you did and never staggered the length of my leadouts.  At a contest in Seattle in the early 80's I noticed that Paul Walker had a rather excessive stagger on his.  I ask and he said they will never catch done like that.  A week or so later while flying with cable leadouts, mine hooked.  Luckily they came loose without a crash.  Took the plane home and staggered the cables.  Have done so ever since.  My standard stagger for the past 5 or 6 years is 5.25" with the controls neutral.
Alan Resinger

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 05:19:01 PM »
Hi Denis.

I had trying solid and flexible cables with same lenght and diferent sizes.

I prefer and use since a long time, diferent lenghts to avoid interference during all manoeuvers and turn the flight more safer y1

Independent the planes, the diference lenght between cables are allways the same. In that way, you can use the lines for other projects.

José

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll use staggered L.O.s from now on. Better safe than sorry as there is too much work and expense (engines especially) in these models to take unnecessary chances.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
I don't think it was a potential problem years back when kits had leadouts spaced a greater distance apart than today's models with adjustable leadouts, especially the independently adjustable type.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here