News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stabilator  (Read 15307 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Stabilator
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
Thanks, I mentioned it especially to show that we DID some reserch and analyses after first flight of Nobler :-))

And yet, I will mention another great analyze in SN article - about tails by David F. - there he wrote he had good results with thin tail. So that is why.

I would note (since I was very close to that investigation) that there were two real kickers on that on - he was comparing a 1/2" or so flat plate and turbulators wires all over it with a airfoiled stab of similar thickness. We both thought that the consequential issue there was the flat plate and the rather wild pressure gradient's around the LE (and no normal pressure at all on the flat part), and that the airfoil maintained a positive normal pressure over a much larger space. The other key takeaway was that the alignment - which is the best reason to use a flat stab, since it's very easy - generally has a preferred rigging bias (1/4 degree on the Infinity and up to 0.6 on the Trivial Pursuit/Star Gazer and now, apparently, the Thundergazer) which obviates the need to get it exactly 0-0 as previously suggested. BTW, the flat stab and the rigging seems to be FAR, vastly, more critical than the airfoiled stab, probably because of separation on the "bottom" right where the nose radius ends (which is why the turbulators help - it bends the air around that corner).

Also note the variant he *didn't* try - a really thick airfoiled stab like on the Imitation. I think if you want it to be thick (and I don't know) you probably do want it to be a stabilator vice conventional, just because the "top" ends up with a MASSIVE gap in the surface when it is deflected since the hinge line is so thick. Even rounding off the corners on the 1/2 thick stab (flat or airfoiled) seems to make a big difference, but when you have a 1" wide gap in the surface, that has to do something, probably bad. It had absolutely catastrophic effects on the wing when I build several airplanes with "integral flaps".  So I am not sure you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to thick tails.

On the other hand, I agree completely with the observation about the thicker stab Cl - yes, it's *some* better but not tremendously so, and you still have the same separation issue, even if it's slightly reduced. Again, the same thing has been found on wings, with very thin airfoils (like Howard's Jive Combat teammate Phil Granderson) performing better, or much better, than extremely thick airfoils with faulty LE shapes, like the Strega ARF and the Patternmaster.

I had at one point convinced myself that it didn't matter at all, now it is clear that at least the proper LE shape and fairing in the rest of it smoothly makes a huge difference, so again, I agree with you, making it much thicker doesn't necessarily help from an aerodynamic standpoint. I think the 3/4" I suggested above is a good compromise between the aerodynamics and the axle size, but I am still not compelled to make a really thick stabililator system.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Of course, who says that the axle has to have round cross-section? Round is a silly shape, you have least material where you need most, and especially with tubes, the shear and compression forces between top and bottom are not handled in good way.
Make the joiner square and only use round section where the bushings are. Not a big deal to build something MUCH stiffer & lighter from some ud-carbon and cross grain balsa. L

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
If you fit the stoopid TUBE SPAR to the AIRFRAME , itll be light & ridgid , and you can use V tails .  S?P

Have the darn flying surfaces pivot on the fixed tube .

A few circlips and washers might be needed , along with some way to eliminate horrible exposed horns & pushrod ends .  VD~

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
probably because of separation on the "bottom" right where the nose radius ends (which is why the turbulators help - it bends the air around that corner).

Yes I wrote somewhere here or on stuka in past about separation buble and abrupt shift of trasition point from (exactly as you say on end of that radius) to hingeline and back as function of of tiny elevator deflection around neutral on such elevator - that is clear reason for hunting if done wrong.

Similar thing can happen on hingeline, that is reason why I do not have edges on elevator LE (on hinge line) and TE of stab (fron of that) is angled to the hingeline to create high pressure on begin of the elevator in neutral ... I hope it helps to keep frow attached on elevatoralso at small elevator deflection. However it is only my thery, I do not know how to proof it, but so far model flies well, so I am not going to change it :- )))

It is funny anyway, while wing aerodynamics is clear and I am sure I have it OK, elevator looks like black magic to me :-P

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 02:27:51 AM »
Of course, who says that the axle has to have round cross-section? Round is a silly shape, you have least material where you need most, and especially with tubes, the shear and compression forces between top and bottom are not handled in good way.
Make the joiner square and only use round section where the bushings are. Not a big deal to build something MUCH stiffer & lighter from some ud-carbon and cross grain balsa. L

If you fit the stoopid TUBE SPAR to the AIRFRAME , itll be light & ridgid , and you can use V tails .  S?P

Have the darn flying surfaces pivot on the fixed tube .

A few circlips and washers might be needed , along with some way to eliminate horrible exposed horns & pushrod ends .  VD~

This is a cool discussion.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
Laury
Many wings have been made using single tube spars and they take over 40 pounds of pull weight from a winch just fine time after time with no problem at all.

I have build wings with flat spars over balsa core I beam kind of and with tube for spar. The cool part of using the tube for a spar is that it has double function and that is it works in torsion as well as in tension and compression at same time did I mention that the tube spar is lighter by a whole bunch and also super easy to build such a structure (Tube, ribs, Molded LE and a TE)?

If you use tube spar and the attachment point (pivot is in the tube spar) to prevent the tube from splitting you need a little bit of tow 3K Kevlar preferably and wrap the thread around the tube and glue in place. Between that and the stuff inside the tube for the take apart/assembly you are good to go. Some tubes have sleeve material on the outside which holds even larger loads.

Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »

It is funny anyway, while wing aerodynamics is clear and I am sure I have it OK, elevator looks like black magic to me :-P

That is the main reason I am interested in stabilators. I want something I can understand.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
So you are on good way, make a stabilator and you can understand why it does not work :- ))))))))))))))))))

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
It’s the best I can hope for.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
This is a cool discussion.

Where you see a discussion?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
Without the evil spirits being invoked Howard there is a easy way to demonstrate that. A little camera and a yarn thread taped on the wing somewhere.
Here is an idea with a longer thread or in another position you could possibly investigate this.

Those cameras are dangerous. We put one on Mark Scarborough’s really pretty airplane. When he saw how much the fuselage bent he added some ugly stiffeners.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
This whole is for larger analyze, because there looks to be some optimal tail length, but I think I also mentioned it in that article, I must find it somewhere and repost ... or write new if it is not clear there.

Please do.

I think I can get my increased angle of attack with a conventional tail. I’ll just reduce tail aspect ratio until the section angle of attack for a given condition matches that of my current, good-flying airplane. Then I’ll bump up the tail area to get the same stability.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
I built a Profile model using the wing and parts from a SIG Chipmunk kit.  I do not know the proper term, but the elevator ends extend forward of the hinge-line into what would typically be the ends of the horizontal stabilizer.

I believe this is done on full scale planes to lighten the control forces (like spades).  I have never noticed any difference in how this model flies compared to a regular stabilizer/elevator setup (but I don't claim to have the experience to tell the difference).

It would seem this type is a compromise that falls in between a stabilator and regular tail.  As more of the horizontal stabilizer is attached to the elevator, it becomes a stabilator.

It also seems that having at least some stabilizer would allow for a stronger "beam" along the hinge-line to attach the elevator than just a pivot on a full stabilator.

I think I have heard that these balanced control surfaces are to be avoided in stunters.  If so, why?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
You heard my stabilizer when it cracked - you can tell how important I think that stab rigidity is.

I regret that I didn’t notice the sound. I’ll pay more attention next time.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:39 PM »
I built a Profile model using the wing and parts from a SIG Chipmunk kit.  I do not know the proper term, but the elevator ends extend forward of the hinge-line into what would typically be the ends of the horizontal stabilizer.

I believe this is done on full scale planes to lighten the control forces (like spades). 

Aerodynamic balance, it’s called. Yep, that’s why it’s done. If you overdo it, especially on an airplane with a wimpy pushrod as I once did, it will flutter. That and the possibility of the elevator getting stuck at full deflection are probably why people caution about doing it. Full scale airplanes also have mass balance in front of the hinge line to prevent flutter.

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Egad.

Assuming its horizontal , of course-.Holes in the Air .

Tho the TSR2 DID have a vertical stabilator ! . :)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
     Everyone seems to want to underestimate how difficult stunt can be, and how demanding the requirements are.

Brett
If you don't think that is true try sitting out for 30 years.  The first couple of patterns you fly wlll quickly remind you!

As for the stabilator, you are dead on.  I built 2 a long time ago.  Both could fly the pattern but you needed a hunting license in most states to fly them.  I flew sailplanes with the best of them in the 90's and the exact reason they are so effective on a sailplane is the reason they suck for stunt.

Ken
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:05:36 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Well, I know one guy that tried it. I notice he no longer uses it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
Well, I know one guy that tried it. I notice he no longer uses it.

Looks like he tried hair, too.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2018, 12:09:00 AM »
Didn't the X-15 use an all-moving vertical fin/rudder thang....vertical stabilator, per Mr. Spencer, as well as the horizontal? Wot's a TSR2?

I used a "flying fin" on my F1A's until CT and zoom launching came about. I thought it was a bit too flimsy to use for that and couldn't afford the weight to make it work safely. A failure would have been pretty damaging to more difficult & time-consuming parts. My friend Guntis Sietins tried it, and had some problems with the fin/rudder coming adrift during a zoom. I don't recall what the result was, tho I don't think it was fatal. The idea was that the thin flying fin would not tend to make the glider spin in as a conventional fin/rudder can in extreme turbulent thermals. I came to think that it was more a matter of differential incidence.

A fair number of combat designs use a short and narrow stabilizer just to mount the elevator. This should work for stunt, except that these designs use relatively long tail moments and relatively small tail area. Enlarging the tail area and shortening the tail moment to stunt numbers would be interesting.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
What we need is real data on relative wind direction. We need at minimum cameras on board filming and getting real data. All we say here is at best speculation of what hapens during flight. I think a few threads hooked to some wires should show enough information.

Did anyone do that on a control line model. If not we are just guessing. And frankly I am not buying the 20-30 degrees relative wind direction on the horizontal. I will believe it when I see it. Maybe someone wants to make a test flight and explore this subject. Has anyone see the control line flight where some one did a frame by frame analysis placed a dot on the model to see the actual trajectory of the model plotted on the screen? The fuselage was mostly in lime with the trajectory. It was here on the forum somewhere but I cant find it.

Yes there where attempts in the past to use this but If i was a betting man I would bet on bad pivot point applications contributed to the lack of success. For example all combat models work well with full flying elevators they track nicely but the pivot point is in the front of the elevator. I am not saying that you should put it there and also i am not saying you should put it in the center of pressure (neutral). This could be tested with a poor men wind tunnel (car).

I will do that as soon as I get this bird built up to get some real time data.

That being said full flying is used very successfully in RC but keep in mind they are actuated by servos, usually god quality servos with nice centering, a thing we lack in CL. When you release the stick ressure on the radio they go to neutral and you are in trim condition. We need a more forward pivot point position to help with that centering issue and or reduce the tail surface to help with the increased effectiveness of the tail. 

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 06:56:08 AM »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
I thought you were looking for the video that Howard took by hanging a cam on Mark's "Pro-vile Impact". It was fairly windy that afternoon, and the profile fuselage's flexing caused the elevator to deviate from desired input due to the pushrod being off centerline.  D>K Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here