Author Topic: Spars  (Read 2158 times)

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Spars
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »
All,

I was looking at a set of plans for a cosmic wind - a profile with about a 42 inch span. What I am questioning is that there were two spars 5/16 by 1/4 and the spars twisted as it went further out on the wing.

Is this advisable? I mean would you be stressing the wing and basically building I a warp possibly?     :o
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Spars
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »
All,

I was looking at a set of plans for a cosmic wind - a profile with about a 42 inch span. What I am questioning is that there were two spars 5/16 by 1/4 and the spars twisted as it went further out on the wing.

Is this advisable? I mean would you be stressing the wing and basically building I a warp possibly?     :o

I would replace them.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
All,

I had a Cosmic Wind a long time ago and I don't remember a twisted spar.  Any chance you can take a shot of those plans??  If it is a true "Twist", I am with Motorman but if it is "bent" then that is a different issue.  Balsa is the Alzheimer's of the wood world.  It has little to no memory.  If bent and left bent it will assume that shape eventually especially if some moisture is involved.  The Cosmic Wind does not have an elliptical wing or a tapered airfoil (other than length) so I see no reason for anything but a straight spar.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
Do you mean twisted, like the driveshaft on a '32 Ford that's had its 85 horsepower engine hot-rodded to 200 horsepower?

Or do you mean bent, like a guardrail that stopped a hot-rodded 32' Ford with a powerful engine but with the original mechanical brakes?

And are the two spars placed symmetrically, so that one is twisted clockwise while the other is twisted counter-clockwise?

No matter what, a single 5/16x1/4 spar doesn't have nearly the torsional rigidity to affect the wing of a 42-inch wingspan CL plane.  So there's something else in the wing structure -- either wing sheeting, or possibly the wing covering -- that will completely overpower any twist imparted by the spars.

If the wing has LE sheeting and shear webs, that "D" tube will hold the wing in position once the glue dries, even if individual pieces of wood are held in stress (so be sure it's straight on the building board!)  Even if the wing has no sheeting, it'll be floppy in torsion until you cover it -- then the covering will hold the wing in place (and let the wing be adjusted later, which is nice).

Finally, if there are two spars twisted in opposition, then as long as you choose matched pieces of wood, either by selecting spars that seem evenly matched to you or by cutting them out of a single sheet that does not vary much across its width, (which is overkill but what I would probably do) then they'll cancel each other out.

Post a picture of the plans, or a link, or tell us the name of the designer so we can do a search, but I think you're fine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:28 PM »

This does not compute.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:44 AM »
All,

I mean twisted. SO the spar starts out in the middle as parallel to the leading edge and trailing edge faces.  like so | | |  - top spar.
                                                                                                                                                                      | | |  - lower spar 
then as it gets to the tip the spars twist, and are not parallel to the leading edge and trailing edge faces  - like so    | \ | - top spar at tip
                                                                                                                                                                      | / |  - lower spar at tip

Hope the diagram  helps

Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »
Looks bent, not twisted.  If it bothers you get rid of it, it's probably a 25 cent piece of wood! Or less.
Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
Steam is a friend
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »
If the spar wood is warped or twisted, replace it but I think your question is different.  If you place the center rib next to the tip rib are the sides of the spar notch parallel to each other or is there a different angle.

Which Cosmic Wind do you have?  If memory serves me (and it doesn't more that I would like), the Goldberg Cosmic Wind that I had as a kid had the spars well behind the high point of the wing.  This had the effect of cocking them in so that they were flush with the ribs.   I think they were behind the high point at the center as well.  The Brodak version is probably the same since it came from Goldberg.

Let's say for the sake of argument that they were at the High Point in the center and did indeed twist at the tips.  As long as the wood is matched and you make sure that they fit the notches properly then the twists will offset each other and not cause any warping.  By the time you get to covering the wing, any tension in the spars will have relaxed anyway.  Balsa has virtually no memory.  That is why it molds so well.  If it really bothers you dampen the spars and twist them into shape before you glue them in.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »
Ken

You are correct - the spar twists as it moves out on the wing - the spar twists - it is straight but twists from perpendicular. I will wet the spars and twist them into shape.  I need to get a photograph of the ribs - It was plan that was done by Mike Garmon.

There are two spars, upper and lower  both twist - I use an Adjusto jig so all my ribs are held straight as I build and I can attach both spars without taking the wing off of the jig

Thanks,

Mccoy40
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here