News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Source for sabre saw blades  (Read 2034 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Source for sabre saw blades
« on: January 23, 2021, 09:11:24 PM »
This seems nuts to me, but I cannot find a source for these type of sabre saw ("jigsaw") blades. Last time I went to get any, this was all they had dozens of varieties, but now either my google skills are failing me, or they are really gone, but I cannot find them. For a sense of scale, the hole is for a 4-40 screw. Any help would be appreciated!

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Source for sabre saw blades
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 09:20:17 PM »
Fairly common item at Lowes, Home depot or any Ace hardware store.

Motorman 8)

Not around here, they all seem to have some sort of bayonet fitting at the attachment end.

Brett

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:31:02 AM »
or they are really gone

Yes they are, it is "Black&Decker" type but Black&Decker now went also to "Bosh" bayonet T-type  (that other type - but still allows to mount both). So market has less and less Black&Decker type blades.

However that hole is normally not there, so if you mean blades with hole, it will be even more difficult.

Here you can see blades which I use for long cut (thick balsa blocks for carving), that maker has still both types

https://www.neutechnik-toolshop.com/products/jigsaw-blades-typ-black-decker/

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:21 AM »
You want a U shank blade. I added a link above.

Do they have a hole I can't see?  That looks about right except for not having the hole for the screw.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 12:39:59 AM »
Yes they are, it is "Black&Decker" type but Black&Decker now went also to "Bosh" bayonet T-type  (that other type - but still allows to mount both). So market has less and less Black&Decker type blades.

However that hole is normally not there, so if you mean blades with hole, it will be even more difficult.

Here you can see blades which I use for long cut (thick balsa blocks for carving), that maker has still both types

https://www.neutechnik-toolshop.com/products/jigsaw-blades-typ-black-decker/

Technically, it is a Skil from the mid-50's that I inherited from my grandfather (upon his early demise from alcohol-fueled misadventure). But, yes, is uses blades with a half-hole in the end and a screw to attach it. I really like it, though, you just grab the motor/crankcase that has a cast-in grip of sorts, it's much easier to control than those with a separate handle on top.

Brett

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 12:43:04 AM »
It is simply not in productionanymore, I think they have some on stock and that is all. But try to add "with hole" in seraching may be you find some.

I found this, but also discontinued:

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-30034-SetAssorted-U-Shank/dp/B00078JYPW

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:13:49 AM »
I think it is last piece on stock :- ))))

Yes, thanks to everyone, I have some links. I am not sure why I was having so much problem, I manage to find every other idiotic thing in the world on the internet successfully. Maybe watching "cat riding on a Roomba" and "The Hydraulic Press Channel" videos damages one's brain.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 02:15:30 AM »
”And here we go!” 🙃

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 02:54:27 AM »
”And here we go!” 🙃

Looks harmless, but is quite dangerous and could at-tack at any time, so ve must deal with it.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 06:05:31 AM »
  I have an old Black and Decker jig saw that I just bought some blades for at the local True Value hardware store and it takes the "U" shank type end. I think there were two different brands, and you are correct in that they must be eliminating this type for the newer bayonet type that are used with the quick release mounting. There wasn't a huge selection, some had the hole and some didn't. The hole on my B&D saw is for a pin on the end of the screw to help retain it. otherwise, the screw just clamps the blade in place. I think my Mom gave me this for Christmas many, many years ago, and it still works well and like you, I just like it a lot. It's simple, and cuts everything that I ever need to cut with it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 08:30:48 AM »
This seems nuts to me, but I cannot find a source for these type of sabre saw ("jigsaw") blades. Last time I went to get any, this was all they had dozens of varieties, but now either my google skills are failing me, or they are really gone, but I cannot find them. For a sense of scale, the hole is for a 4-40 screw. Any help would be appreciated!

Brett

I'd almost bet that your sabre saw ("jigsaw") is as old or older than your old Infinity.  :)
Don't fret, I have one too and can't find the blades either. It's time to buy a new one.

Dennis

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
I'd almost bet that your sabre saw ("jigsaw") is as old or older than your old Infinity.  :)

Big talk is easy when all the contests are getting cancelled.

Don't fret, I have one too and can't find the blades either. It's time to buy a new one.

My saber saw blade is older than the airplane, so the 25 blades or so that are supposedly on their way should cover me OK. I am going to get a new one - exactly like the current one, just as a backup.

Brett

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
    Big talk is easy when all the contests are getting cancelled.

What else am I suppose to do with all this spare time!

My saber saw blade is older than the airplane, so the 25 blades or so that are supposedly on their way should cover me OK. I am going to get a new one - exactly like the current one, just as a backup.

Brett

Sounds like a very good plan.   LL~

Dennis

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 04:57:34 PM »

Sounds like a very good plan.   LL~

eBay, for all its faults, is an amazing service, you can find any crazy thing you might imagine.  I found my mom's radio, lost in 1976, on eBay - not one just like it, the exact unit that she had and listened to Paul Harvey on:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3301351#p3301351

So finding multiple copies of a 65-year-old mass-produced sabre saw is not that surprising -  but inconceivable without eBay or something like it.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 07:36:00 PM »
   eBay, for all its faults, is an amazing service, you can find any crazy thing you might imagine.  I found my mom's radio, lost in 1976, on eBay - not one just like it, the exact unit that she had and listened to Paul Harvey on:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3301351#p3301351

So finding multiple copies of a 65-year-old mass-produced sabre saw is not that surprising -  but inconceivable without eBay or something like it.

Brett

That is freaking incredible!! Fixing a few old radios is something that interests me, but I have never had the time for another hobby. I have an old Crosely floor model in my basement that I more or less use as a shelf, that I have always hoped to get working someday. I retired this past Friday,  so maybe I'll get around to it. Lots to catch up on and get squared away model airplane and motorcycle wise first.

What did you find on eBay that you liked for blades?  I've cut everything from 2 by 4's to 1/8" thick steel with mine and i would need a variety of teeth pitches. I was thinking when I bought the last couple of them that I may just have to modify the mounting end with the U shaped tip if I want to keep using mine. At this stage in life, buying a new one isn't a top priority if the old one still works well and it does.
 Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »

That is freaking incredible!! Fixing a few old radios is something that interests me, but I have never had the time for another hobby. I have an old Crosely floor model in my basement that I more or less use as a shelf, that I have always hoped to get working someday. I retired this past Friday,  so maybe I'll get around to it.

You probably know this, but you probably don't want to just plug it in and turn it on to see if it works, at least not as the first act. If you do, there is some possibility that it will damage some hard-to-replace parts (like the power supply transformer). And, the tubes are probably OK, it's a lot of other parts, the capacitors, that are likely to be bad.

When/if you decide to work on it, get back to me, or Crist Rigotti , and maybe start a thread on ARF.

Brett

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »