News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sorry dumb question  (Read 940 times)

Offline Jim Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
sorry dumb question
« on: January 10, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »
I started to build a new ship. Time Machine Mark II. I got a few things sanded, ect. This will be dope and carbon fiber veil covering. My question is, do I dope and cover everything first, before assembly or assemble then dope and cover? It has been a minute since I built a kit.

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: sorry dumb question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
I used to think fully assemble the aircraft, and then cover, paint, etc. Always thought the wing-fuse amd stab-fuse joints had to be raw wood to raw wood.

After watching countless Windy build videos, and seeing the longevity of his models, I'm convinced otherwise.

Dope, cover and paint up through silver the individual parts before final assembly. Much easier, less likely to damage something, and the joints can still be plenty string.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:34:16 PM »
Wow! never would have guessed to paint up through silver too. Thanks Steve.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »
I started to build a new ship. Time Machine Mark II. I got a few things sanded, ect. This will be dope and carbon fiber veil covering. My question is, do I dope and cover everything first, before assembly or assemble then dope and cover? It has been a minute since I built a kit.

Having the covering bonded to the full length of the wing when you cover it adds a lot of extra strength. The same goes for iron on covering, and there you just cut away small sections where to you get a good wood to wood joint, and try to leave an uncut strip that runs full length of the wing. If you have to, over lap the covering at the center section. I have done it the other way on small models, where I assembled the model first and then covered the wings and had no problems but the wing structure on most older kits was plenty beefy to handle flight loads.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here